Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Default Top Chef on BRAVO

I this would be of interest to all the foodies out there.

Bravo feeds the senses this March with "Top Chef," a new reality competition
series celebrating the culinary arts with a fascinating window into the
competitive, pressurized environment of world-class cookery and the
restaurant business at the highest level. The ten-episode, one-hour series
will feature twelve aspiring chefs who will put their culinary skills to the
test for the chance to earn the prestigious title of "Top Chef."

Showcasing some of the brightest up-and-coming talent in the culinary world,
the competing chefs hail from varied backgrounds including culinary
graduates and students, personal celebrity chefs, a Sous Chef, a line cook,
a nutritionist, a Tournant Chef, and a self-taught mother of three. But what
they all share is a passion for the culture, preparation and service of
gourmet cuisine.

Wednesday night at 10pm cst.

Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Chef wrote:
> I this would be of interest to all the foodies out there.

Oh god the commercials for this were hideous.

No way am I going to want to watch those emotional cripples try to make
anything out of anything including themselves.

--Blair

Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Chef wrote:
> > I this would be of interest to all the foodies out there.

> Oh god the commercials for this were hideous.
>
> No way am I going to want to watch those emotional cripples try to make
> anything out of anything including themselves.

It sucked -- BIG TIME...

I turned if off after about ten minutes...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

I liked it. The people can cook unlike most on the "Hells Kitchen" show.
Also its filmed in SF and it was nice to see the places I shop and local
restaurants. There are a lot of possibilities in the area.

Best moment was when the Irish guy tasted the sauce with his finger and
Keller threw him out. Then Keller didnt answer the question if he threw
out the sauce like he claimed he would.

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>

>>Chef wrote:
>>
>>>I this would be of interest to all the foodies out there.

>>Oh god the commercials for this were hideous.
>>
>>No way am I going to want to watch those emotional cripples try to make
>>anything out of anything including themselves.

> It sucked -- BIG TIME...
>
> I turned if off after about ten minutes...

Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

If memory serves me correctly, Dennis wrote:

> Best moment was when the Irish guy tasted the sauce with his finger and
> Keller threw him out. Then Keller didnt answer the question if he threw
> out the sauce like he claimed he would.

I work at one of Hubert Keller's restaurants, and he really is a
helluva nice guy, so this was a different side to him. Then again, I'm
not working in the kitchen with him. I know he has high standards, but
I'm wondering if this is how he is in his work shoes, or if he
"toughened up" for the cameras.

Either way, I'll stick to bussing tables.

Reaper "They could've worked for Gordon Ramsay" G
http://www.giantmonstermovies.com

Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

He came off as a nice guy but looked slightly out of place in a reality
TV show. He's running one of the best restaurants in SF - only
questionable ejection was because of shoes. Didnt get that one.

Jay Grymyr wrote:

> I work at one of Hubert Keller's restaurants, and he really is a
> helluva nice guy, so this was a different side to him. Then again, I'm
> not working in the kitchen with him. I know he has high standards, but
> I'm wondering if this is how he is in his work shoes, or if he
> "toughened up" for the cameras.
>
> Either way, I'll stick to bussing tables.
>
> Reaper "They could've worked for Gordon Ramsay" G
> http://www.giantmonstermovies.com

Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Dennis > wrote:

>He came off as a nice guy but looked slightly out of place in a reality
>TV show. He's running one of the best restaurants in SF - only
>questionable ejection was because of shoes. Didnt get that one.

I don't think it was reasonable to kick someone out because they were
slow or nervous - if you've never worked as a line cook (and working as
a line cook was apparently not a requirement to be on the show), of
course you're going to be slow, and if it's your first time on national
TV with a famous chef, there's some chance you'll be nervous.

It wasn't clear to me how they chose the loser. Judging by the
comments, his was not the worst plate. I'm not sorry he's gone - he's
seemed to have modeled himself on Bobby Flay - but of they kicked him
off because of his obnoxious behavior they should have said so.

--
Jack Hamilton
California
Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

It is reasonable and real: it is a real restaurant not a made up one or
a culinary school.

All three seemed to merit the bottom three distinction. Being an ass
cinched it for Ken Lee. Has anyone googled him?

Jack Hamilton wrote:

> I don't think it was reasonable to kick someone out because they were
> slow or nervous - if you've never worked as a line cook (and working as
> a line cook was apparently not a requirement to be on the show), of
> course you're going to be slow, and if it's your first time on national
> TV with a famous chef, there's some chance you'll be nervous.
>
> It wasn't clear to me how they chose the loser. Judging by the
> comments, his was not the worst plate. I'm not sorry he's gone - he's
> seemed to have modeled himself on Bobby Flay - but of they kicked him
> off because of his obnoxious behavior they should have said so.
>
> --
> Jack Hamilton
> California
> --
> <> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
> <> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld

Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Thats a myth (dranmatic tension is created by an obnoxious personality)
that has become "common wisdom" on these shows. Dramatic tension
developes from conflict of views not from an obnoxious personality. What
does happen is watching because of comeuppence desire. I'd rather watch
people who can cook, compete. Or something like Olivers show about
guiding youth through cooking.

Mike wrote:

> I rather think he fancied himself as the next Gordon Ramsay. Throwing
> him off so early in the series was a big mistake. This is a TV show
> after all, and the producers should have learned something from their
> own, "Project Runway". Having an obnoxious contestant that everyone
> hates adds dramatic tension to the show and makes for great TV. I
> wanted to see more outrageous behavior, but now he's gone. I don't want
> to watch normal, boring, and otherwise equally talentless people as the
> two women that beat him out at the elimination table.
> Another interesting point: the hostess of the show is Bily Joel's new
> wife. It's amazing how much she resembles a brunette Christie Brinkley.

Posted to alt.creative_cooking,alt.tv.food-network,alt.tv.iron-chef,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

i think it's sad that that health food freak contestant couldnt even
serve kale that wasn't sandy.

disgusting! seriously. how can someone that cant properly clean a
vegetable be on television? the easiest thing for a cook or chef to do
is to be given money to go buy ingredients and put together a dish.

and the real troublemaker is going to be that young sommelier that
really thinks he's something. something tells me he'll be the most
dramatic contestant, not the irish plod that just got kicked off.
violet.
Chef wrote:
> I this would be of interest to all the foodies out there.
>

> Bravo feeds the senses this March with "Top Chef," a new reality competition
> series celebrating the culinary arts with a fascinating window into the
> competitive, pressurized environment of world-class cookery and the
> restaurant business at the highest level. The ten-episode, one-hour series
> will feature twelve aspiring chefs who will put their culinary skills to the
> test for the chance to earn the prestigious title of "Top Chef."
>
> Showcasing some of the brightest up-and-coming talent in the culinary world,
> the competing chefs hail from varied backgrounds including culinary
> graduates and students, personal celebrity chefs, a Sous Chef, a line cook,
> a nutritionist, a Tournant Chef, and a self-taught mother of three. But what
> they all share is a passion for the culture, preparation and service of
> gourmet cuisine.
>
> Wednesday night at 10pm cst.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:44:02 -0800, Dennis > wrote:

>I liked it. The people can cook unlike most on the "Hells Kitchen" show.
>Also its filmed in SF and it was nice to see the places I shop and local
>restaurants. There are a lot of possibilities in the area.

The problem is the wooden model host who seems only to be there for
eye candy.
---
Nellie Paris