Posted to rec.food.restaurants
LurfysMa

Default Recommendations in Chicago for 60th birthday dinner

My (little) brother will turn 60 in a couple of weeks. He lives in
Naperville, just east of Chicago. I thought I would send him a gift
certificate for a nice restaurant in the Chicago area for him and his
wife. Unfortunately, I don't know the Chicago area at all.

Can anyone suggest either a nice restaurant or an unusual one? He
likes Italian and general American (steaks), but I think he would be
up for pretty much any type of food.

I'm willing to spend up to $200 or so. Neither he nor his wife drink
at all, so that will keep the price down.

Thanks

--
For email, use
Posted to rec.food.restaurants
Steve Pope

LurfysMa > wrote:

>My (little) brother will turn 60 in a couple of weeks. He lives in
>Naperville, just east of Chicago. I thought I would send him a gift
>certificate for a nice restaurant in the Chicago area for him and his
>wife. Unfortunately, I don't know the Chicago area at all.
>
>Can anyone suggest either a nice restaurant or an unusual one?

La Frontera Grill is world famous and also really god.

(It it not Italian or Steak though, it is high-end Mexican.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.restaurants
pltrgyst

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:56:44 -0800, LurfysMa >
wrote:

>My (little) brother will turn 60 in a couple of weeks. He lives in
>Naperville, just east of Chicago. I thought I would send him a gift
>certificate for a nice restaurant in the Chicago area for him and his
>wife. Unfortunately, I don't know the Chicago area at all.
>
>Can anyone suggest either a nice restaurant or an unusual one? He
>likes Italian and general American (steaks), but I think he would be
>up for pretty much any type of food.
>
>I'm willing to spend up to $200 or so. Neither he nor his wife drink
>at all, so that will keep the price down.

Well, $200 won't do for Charlie Trotter's, but it will cover Spiaggia
on Michigan Ave., which is about as good as Italian gets anywhere.
Quite formal, though -- very elegant.

But if I were having only one meal in Chicago, I would go to Rick
Bayless's Topolabampo, which is absolutely spectacular. It must be the
best Mexican restaurant in the country, and I don't even particularly
like Mexican food. But when we go there, I'll eat anything he puts in
front of me -- it's that good.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.restaurants
Steve Pope

http://www.fronterakitchens.com/home.html)
>that they have two restaurants. The other is Tompolobampo.

>Have you tried both? The Grill appears to be more casual.

The Frontera Grill has higher prices, but there was less
of a wait than Tompolobampo, so we ate at the Grill. I
would guess food quality is about the same but that is
just a guess.

Probably, one gift certificate could be used at either place .

Steve

Posted to rec.food.restaurants
Ward Abbott

wrote:

>My (little) brother will turn 60 in a couple of weeks. He lives in
>Naperville, just east of Chicago. I thought I would send him a gift
>certificate for a nice restaurant in the Chicago area for him and his
>wife. Unfortunately, I don't know the Chicago area at all.

For a drive...I would definitely recommend

Le Francais Restaurant
269 South Milwaukee Avenue
Wheeling, Illinois 60090-5097 ph: 847.541.7470

a little closer....don't overlook the Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton
on Pearson.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants
Ward Abbott

wrote:

>My (little) brother will turn 60 in a couple of weeks. He lives in
>Naperville, just east of Chicago.

Are you sure that he lives in Naperville....since Naperville is about
40 miles WSW of the loop.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants
LurfysMa

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:02:06 GMT, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:56:44 -0800, LurfysMa >
>wrote:
>
>>My (little) brother will turn 60 in a couple of weeks. He lives in
>>Naperville, just east of Chicago.

>Are you sure that he lives in Naperville....since Naperville is about
>40 miles WSW of the loop.

I meant west -- not east. Dyslexia and Alzheimers -- bad combination.

--
For email, use
Posted to rec.food.restaurants
pltrgyst

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:41:19 GMT, Ward Abbott > wrote:

>For a drive...I would definitely recommend
>
>Le Francais Restaurant
>269 South Milwaukee Avenue
>Wheeling, Illinois 60090-5097 ph: 847.541.7470

Le Francais is definitely worth the trip when it's on its game. It took us two
taxis and two train rides to get there, though. And the commuter trains don't
run in-bound to Chicago very often (if at all) at night.

And only if Roland Liccioni is still cooking there when you visit. He seems to
have shuttled in and out of proprietorship every two weeks or so over the past
ten years... 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.restaurants
Steve Pope

pltrgyst > wrote:

> Facing the restaurants from the street, Topolabampo is on
> the left. It's the one with tablecloths. 8

Thank you.

My dining partner confirmed for me that it was Topolabampo
we ate at, not Frontera. So invert everything I said about
these two restaurants in my earlier posts.

Steve