NYC XYZ

Default "Campaign to Educate Chinese Staff"

A silver lining?

http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-nyd...0,969024.story

EXCERPTS

Many of workers who toil in the kitchens and over stoves are
immigrants, including undocumented ones who face abusive bosses and
working conditions, said advocates from the Restaurant Opportunities
Center, which runs the new project.

"Labor laws apply to people regardless of their immigration status,"
said Celine Liu, an organizer.

The center was launched soon after the Sept. 11 attacks by displaced
workers from the Windows on the World and is an advocacy group helping
workers win better wages, benefits and improve health conditions.

Advocates said the killing of FaHua Chen earlier this month was an
example of the challenges workers face. Chen, whose body will be
cremated today, was shot during a botched robbery while making a
delivery in the Bronx Oct. 9.

Several workers joined organizers at a news conference outside City
Hall to announce the project. Councilman John Liu of Flushing, who has
been assisting the Chen family, said more needs to be done. "These
workers are important and vital to city life in New York and we must
make sure that they all understand their rights and responsibilities,"
he said.

slim

NYC XYZ wrote:

> A silver lining?

Perhaps.

But then, the Chinese have a long history of ****ing over thier own.

--
http://mindprod.com/politics/iraq.html

"How many American casualties is Saddam worth?
The answer is not very damned many."
- Dick Cheney, Seattle, August 1992

Donald Rumsfeld: "If you're asking if there's a direct
link between 9/11 and Iraq, the answer is no."
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4865948/

On May 01, 2003, President Bush declared that,
"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain --
I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the
interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they
say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody
an explanation. "
- George Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02
Posted to soc.culture.asian.american,nyc.general,rec.food.restaurants,soc.culture.china
NYC XYZ

The difference is that we acknowledge it. With somewhere around five
thousand years of experience, we aren't so easily persuaded by the
usual racial/national/ethnic/whatever solidarity crap typically
espoused by politicians.

Indeed, this "dog-eat-dog" observation even forms the moral of Lu Xun's
famous short "Diary of A Madman." His other classic is "The Story of
Ah Q" -- both very insightful critiques of some onerous developments in
the character of classical Chinese civilization.

I am hopeful, however -- it's like with AA: you've got to admit the
problem before you can even begin to confront it. I like to liken it
to the Sicilian's typical mistrust of Italians (that is, mainlanders).

slim wrote:

> Perhaps.
>
> But then, the Chinese have a long history of ****ing over thier own.
>
> --
> http://mindprod.com/politics/iraq.html
>
> "How many American casualties is Saddam worth?
> The answer is not very damned many."
> - Dick Cheney, Seattle, August 1992
>
> Donald Rumsfeld: "If you're asking if there's a direct
> link between 9/11 and Iraq, the answer is no."
> http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4865948/
>
> On May 01, 2003, President Bush declared that,
> "Major combat operations in Iraq have ended."
>
> "I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain --
> I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the
> interesting thing about being the president.
> Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they
> say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody
> an explanation. "
> - George Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Posted to soc.culture.asian.american,nyc.general,rec.food.restaurants,soc.culture.china
slim

NYC XYZ wrote:

> The difference is that we acknowledge it. With somewhere around five
> thousand years of experience, we aren't so easily persuaded by the
> usual racial/national/ethnic/whatever solidarity crap typically
> espoused by politicians.

Oh bullshit.

The Chinese are some of the most racist people around.

They HIDE it better than most.

--
http://mindprod.com/politics/iraq.html

"How many American casualties is Saddam worth?
The answer is not very damned many."
- Dick Cheney, Seattle, August 1992

Donald Rumsfeld: "If you're asking if there's a direct
link between 9/11 and Iraq, the answer is no."
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4865948/

On May 01, 2003, President Bush declared that,
"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain --
I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the
interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they
say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody
an explanation. "
- George Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02
Posted to soc.culture.asian.american,nyc.general,rec.food.restaurants,soc.culture.china
drydem

NYC can be a very dangerous place to live and work.