markmas

Default Venison in NYC

Does anyone know of a restaurant in Manhattan that serves any unusual
fare such as bear, moose, elk, etc......

thanx........I'm very hungry

Shawn Hirn

In article . com>,
"markmas" > wrote:

> Does anyone know of a restaurant in Manhattan that serves any unusual
> fare such as bear, moose, elk, etc......
>

> thanx........I'm very hungry

Try posting on the nyc.food group or check out http://www.chowhound.com
to see what restaurants in NYC serve game meats.
PorkTeriyaki

I asked the same question about Alaska & was told that It's not legal
to sell game meat to the public due to health concerns. You have to
personally know a hunter or take up hunting yourself.

Steve Pope

PorkTeriyaki > wrote:

>I asked the same question about Alaska & was told that It's not legal
>to sell game meat to the public due to health concerns. You have to
>personally know a hunter or take up hunting yourself.

At least in California, Aidelle's at one point (long
ago, unfortunately) sold venison sausage. One could
buy it at a normal grocery store.

Steve
Shawn Hirn

In article . com>,
"PorkTeriyaki" > wrote:

> I asked the same question about Alaska & was told that It's not legal
> to sell game meat to the public due to health concerns. You have to
> personally know a hunter or take up hunting yourself.

I don't think that's true. I have seen game meat on the menu at several
restaurants. Sorry, I don't recall the details.

Steve Pope

Shawn Hirn > wrote:

> "PorkTeriyaki" > wrote:

>> I asked the same question about Alaska & was told that It's not legal
>> to sell game meat to the public due to health concerns.

> I don't think that's true. I have seen game meat on the menu
> at several restaurants. Sorry, I don't recall the details.

I've seen both frozen venison and fresh venison sausage for
sale in grocery stores in California, and numerous forms of
venison in restaurants in several states.

Steve
Robin Lake

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "PorkTeriyaki" > wrote:
>

>>I asked the same question about Alaska & was told that It's not legal
>>to sell game meat to the public due to health concerns. You have to
>>personally know a hunter or take up hunting yourself.

> I don't think that's true. I have seen game meat on the menu at several
> restaurants. Sorry, I don't recall the details.

Two weeks ago we went to a wine dinner at "fire" at Shaker Square in
Cleveland, Ohio. One of the courses was venison.

Rob Lake

There's a place on Henry Street in Brooklyn Heights, I think it's
called Henry's End, and it serves various kinds of game. I've never
been there, but it's supposed to be very good.

PorkTeriyaki

OK but I'm just saying what I've heard. I posted a message in groups
on Alaska, before going there, asking for restaurants that serve game:
such as bear, moose, caribou, musk ox, etc. One response was that it's
illegal for restaurants to serve meat shot in the wild since you don't
know what deseases they could be carrying. (Other say "That's not what
we Alaskans eat", citing hamburgers and pizza as their regular fare.)
The only wild game they can serve is the fish caught in their waters.
On visiting Alaska I found no restaurant anywhere serving any other
kind of game. I've seen reindeer sausages in some stores but that's
from reindeer domestically raised & inspected by USDA.

dgs

PorkTeriyaki wrote:

> I asked the same question about Alaska & was told that It's not legal
> to sell game meat to the public due to health concerns. You have to
> personally know a hunter or take up hunting yourself.

Never been to the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver, have you? I was there a
couple of weeks ago. Had the night's special: elk and buffalo.
--
dgs

PorkTeriyaki

But those elks & buffaloes were domestically raised & their meat was
USDA inspected. What do their laws say about shooting something in the
wild & selling to the public?

Asmodeus

"PorkTeriyaki" > wrote in
oups.com:

> But those elks & buffaloes were domestically raised & their meat
> was USDA inspected.

Farm-raised elk and venison are wholly different from the
traditional variety.

> What do their laws say about shooting
> something in the wild & selling to the public?

I doubt you can in most states, and no sane restauranteur
would want to (CWD). I wouldn't, unless I knew the hunter
(as in had hunted with him), and knew the venison was not
from an area where CWD had shown up.

Speaking of, there's a venison roast in the oven now. Not
the farm-raised variety.

--
/"\ ||
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN || Oderint Dum Metuant

Venison Dip [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 14-01-2007 01:27 AM
Venison Steve M General Cooking 1 13-02-2006 05:38 AM
Venison EastneyEnder General Cooking 80 21-12-2005 08:25 AM
Venison ~patches~ General Cooking 16 10-11-2005 06:09 PM