MIGHTY CORKY

Default question?

I really would love to know why waiters only make 2.15 an hour here in
texas.
specially working in a buffet restaurant , where most ppl usually don't
tip and if you don't make enough money to cober the minimum wage
you get fire unless you report tips you never got

Jesse Robinson

Maybe easier said than done, quit. They are screwing you out of a lot of
taxing issues. I would report their abuse to a federal agency. Maybe have
others in the restaurant sign an affidative stating what occurs if they
don't make the minimum. Again, maybe easier said than done.

Jesse

--

Primary:
"MIGHTY CORKY" > wrote in message
>I really would love to know why waiters only make 2.15 an hour here in
> texas.
> specially working in a buffet restaurant , where most ppl usually don't
> tip and if you don't make enough money to cober the minimum wage
> you get fire unless you report tips you never got

Nick Worley

"MIGHTY CORKY" > wrote in message
>I really would love to know why waiters only make 2.15 an hour here in
> texas.
> specially working in a buffet restaurant , where most ppl usually don't
> tip and if you don't make enough money to cober the minimum wage
> you get fire unless you report tips you never got

USD 2.15 an hour? Is that for real?
You sure you're not a wetback who can't get a legit wage?
If you're legit, then that wage has to be illegal, surely?

USD 2.15 is only GBP 1.22 an hour (surely 12-year-old chimney sweeps in 19th
century England got more than that?)

How the hell can someone live on USD 2.15 an hour?

Maybe you should kidnap your employer and demand fair payment? (And if the
FBI contact you or me, I was never here, I never said that, this post does
not exist).

Regards
Nick (err, I mean "John" [for FBI purposes])

Ward Abbott

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:10:40 GMT, Nellie Paris >
wrote:

>Thank the very powerful Republican restaurant lobby for keeping the
>current outdated system the way it is.

Nellie...I guess you haven't noticed that the same procedure has been
used through all presidents holding office?

Republican restaurant lobby? Where did you get that information. A
lobbiest works FOR their contingency!

MW

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 03:14:16 +0100, "Nick Worley" >
wrote:

>"MIGHTY CORKY" > wrote in message
>>I really would love to know why waiters only make 2.15 an hour here in
>> texas.
>> specially working in a buffet restaurant , where most ppl usually don't
>> tip and if you don't make enough money to cober the minimum wage
>> you get fire unless you report tips you never got

>USD 2.15 an hour? Is that for real?
>You sure you're not a wetback who can't get a legit wage?
>If you're legit, then that wage has to be illegal, surely?
>
>USD 2.15 is only GBP 1.22 an hour (surely 12-year-old chimney sweeps in 19th
>century England got more than that?)

There are plenty of countries around the world where many people earn
less than that for a full-days work.

MR
Richard Kaszeta

"Nick Worley" > writes:

> "MIGHTY CORKY" > wrote in message
> >I really would love to know why waiters only make 2.15 an hour here in
> > texas.
> > specially working in a buffet restaurant , where most ppl usually don't
> > tip and if you don't make enough money to cober the minimum wage
> > you get fire unless you report tips you never got

> USD 2.15 an hour? Is that for real?

Yes. That's the Federal minimum wage for tipped employees[1]. Although
for the employer to pay that little you have to work a job with tips,
since what they're doing is deducting credit for tips, "free" meals, etc.

[1] Many states have higher minimum wages, and many states also don't
allow tip credits

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Nellie Paris

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:22:44 GMT, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:10:40 GMT, Nellie Paris >
>wrote:
>
>>Thank the very powerful Republican restaurant lobby for keeping the
>>current outdated system the way it is.

>Nellie...I guess you haven't noticed that the same procedure has been
>used through all presidents holding office?
>
>Republican restaurant lobby? Where did you get that information. A
>lobbiest works FOR their contingency!

You are right in that I was unclear. I mean that corporate leadership
at restaurants encourages their staff to vote Republican to protect
their business interests in keeping costs, including wages of course,
very low. And the restaurant lobbies get results from pro-business
Republicans, as you would expect.

Restaurant workers typically get a small cut of any minimum wage
increase in most states, but have you noticed how long it has been
since the wage has gone up?

Nellie Paris

Ward Abbott

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:51:35 GMT, Nellie Paris >
wrote:

>Restaurant workers typically get a small cut of any minimum wage
>increase in most states, but have you noticed how long it has been
>since the wage has gone up?

Have you noticed what COMPELS them to work at their position.....yes,
that is right, THEY LIKE THEIR JOB!

You obviously don't like your life choices. Do something about
it...since no one here can make you get off your butt and do something
about your desicions.

Nick Worley

"Richard Kaszeta" > wrote in message
> "Nick Worley" > writes:
>
>> "MIGHTY CORKY" > wrote in message
>> >I really would love to know why waiters only make 2.15 an hour here in
>> > texas.
>> > specially working in a buffet restaurant , where most ppl usually don't
>> > tip and if you don't make enough money to cober the minimum wage
>> > you get fire unless you report tips you never got

>> USD 2.15 an hour? Is that for real?

> Yes. That's the Federal minimum wage for tipped employees[1]. Although
> for the employer to pay that little you have to work a job with tips,
> since what they're doing is deducting credit for tips, "free" meals, etc.
>
> [1] Many states have higher minimum wages, and many states also don't
> allow tip credits

So out of interest what is the minimum wage in Texas for *untipped*
employees?
Would Corky be better off in a job where the workers don't get tips?
Regards
Nick

Nick Worley

"MW" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 03:14:16 +0100, "Nick Worley" >
> wrote:
>
>>"MIGHTY CORKY" > wrote in message
>>>I really would love to know why waiters only make 2.15 an hour here in
>>> texas.
>>> specially working in a buffet restaurant , where most ppl usually don't
>>> tip and if you don't make enough money to cober the minimum wage
>>> you get fire unless you report tips you never got

>>USD 2.15 an hour? Is that for real?
>>You sure you're not a wetback who can't get a legit wage?
>>If you're legit, then that wage has to be illegal, surely?
>>
>>USD 2.15 is only GBP 1.22 an hour (surely 12-year-old chimney sweeps in
>>19th
>>century England got more than that?)

> There are plenty of countries around the world where many people earn
> less than that for a full-days work.
>
> MR

True, but we're talking about the US here -- the world's only remaining
superpower, the richest country in the world.
I can't imagine how anyone can live on USD 2.15 an hour. That's USD 86 for a
40-hour week, before taxes are deducted.
What is the average weekly rent? How much does food for a week cost? Travel
to and from work? Electricity/water/gas? etc, etc?
I can't imagine that 86 dollars (or whatever is left after taxes) even
begins to cover all the outgoings.
Regards
Nick

Shawn Hirn

In article >,
MW > wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 03:14:16 +0100, "Nick Worley" >
> wrote:
>
> >"MIGHTY CORKY" > wrote in message
> >>I really would love to know why waiters only make 2.15 an hour here in
> >> texas.
> >> specially working in a buffet restaurant , where most ppl usually don't
> >> tip and if you don't make enough money to cober the minimum wage
> >> you get fire unless you report tips you never got

> >USD 2.15 an hour? Is that for real?
> >You sure you're not a wetback who can't get a legit wage?
> >If you're legit, then that wage has to be illegal, surely?
> >
> >USD 2.15 is only GBP 1.22 an hour (surely 12-year-old chimney sweeps in 19th
> >century England got more than that?)

> There are plenty of countries around the world where many people earn
> less than that for a full-days work.

Could be, but how much is the cost of living in those other countries?
Is health care provided for free? What about a college education? How's
the public transportation there?
MW

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 00:14:20 +0100, "Nick Worley" >
wrote:

>>>USD 2.15 is only GBP 1.22 an hour (surely 12-year-old chimney sweeps in
>>>19th
>>>century England got more than that?)

>> There are plenty of countries around the world where many people earn
>> less than that for a full-days work.
>>
>> MR

>True, but we're talking about the US here -- the world's only remaining
>superpower, the richest country in the world.
>I can't imagine how anyone can live on USD 2.15 an hour. That's USD 86 for a
>40-hour week, before taxes are deducted.
>What is the average weekly rent? How much does food for a week cost? Travel
>to and from work? Electricity/water/gas? etc, etc?
>I can't imagine that 86 dollars (or whatever is left after taxes) even
>begins to cover all the outgoings.

Well, Nick, I agree with you on that, but *you* brought England into
it.

;-p

I remember a girlfriend I had in the 80s when I was a teenager. She
would make $50 on a four-hour shift at a Howard Johnsons, in tips. We
were in high school, but even for an average working person that was
great money. For teenagers? It was winning the lottery every time
she worked (part-time). And she spent the money like that, too.

Too bad all of those 80s clothes are only good for costumes now. :\

;-)

MR

Nick Worley

"MW" > wrote in message

>>> There are plenty of countries around the world where many people earn
>>> less than that for a full-days work.
>>>
>>> MR

>>True, but we're talking about the US here -- the world's only remaining
>>superpower, the richest country in the world.
>>I can't imagine how anyone can live on USD 2.15 an hour. That's USD 86 for
>>40-hour week, before taxes are deducted.
>>What is the average weekly rent? How much does food for a week cost?
>>Travel
>>to and from work? Electricity/water/gas? etc, etc?
>>I can't imagine that 86 dollars (or whatever is left after taxes) even
>>begins to cover all the outgoings.

> Well, Nick, I agree with you on that, but *you* brought England into

Well, yeah, I did bring England into this -- I'll admit though that it was
for the purposes of hyperbole, for dramatic exaggeration.
(But not *that* much exaggeration when you think about it).

> I remember a girlfriend I had in the 80s when I was a teenager. She
> would make $50 on a four-hour shift at a Howard Johnsons, in tips. We
> were in high school, but even for an average working person that was
> great money. For teenagers? It was winning the lottery every time
> she worked (part-time). And she spent the money like that, too.
>
> Too bad all of those 80s clothes are only good for costumes now. :\

Everything's relative. What seems like a lot as a teenager doesn't
necessarily seem that much when you grow up.
And even what you think is a lot as a teenager isn't necessarily considered
a lot by other (far better off) teenagers.
Everything's relative, but that doesn't excuse employers from paying a
****-taking wage.
Regards
Nick

Richard Kaszeta

"Nick Worley" > writes:
> So out of interest what is the minimum wage in Texas for *untipped*
> employees?

Currently, the Federal Rate of $5.15

http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm#Texas

For tipped workers:

http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/tipped.htm

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Nick Worley

"Richard Kaszeta" > wrote in message
> "Nick Worley" > writes:
>> So out of interest what is the minimum wage in Texas for *untipped*
>> employees?

> Currently, the Federal Rate of $5.15
>
> http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm#Texas
>
> For tipped workers:
>
> http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/tipped.htm
>

> --
> Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

USD 5.15 -- that's GBP 2.92 at today's rate. (Which by UK standards seems
ridiculously low).
The cost of living in Texas must be very low to be able to live on such a
low wage.
I live in England and I need GBP 600 (USD 1,055) a month to cover all my
basic outgoings. Anything I earn over that is either saved, or spent on
beer, drugs, seals, ecological disasters, etc. (Or more drugs).
How can anyone live on USD 5.15 an hour?
I'd like to know the following in Texas (the figures obviously vary
depending on the size of household, but give me a rough idea, or a scale
depending on family size):
- weekly rent
- weekly food bill
- weekly gas/electricity/water bill
- weekly taxes (normally deducted at source in the UK. So-called "take home"
wages are minus Income Tax and National Insurance).
- etc, etc
Thanks
Nick