Thomas Müller

Default Eating in the U.S. (San Diego)

Hi there..
Im planing a trip to San Diego in a few weeks, and wanted to collect some
information about food. I googled and found lots of restaurants that have
online-menus, so i roughly know what i'll have to pay for the food when
going out for dinner, but:

What else do i have to pay? Are taxes included, if not, how much tax do i
have to pay? Is service charged extra, or is it only the usual 10% Tip?
What do softdrinks usualy cost, i.e. 0.5L of Cola/Pespi/Similar, when you go
to a medium priced bar or restaurant.

Thx for the help,
Thomas
Steve Pope

Thomas Müller > wrote:

> Im planing a trip to San Diego in a few weeks, and wanted to
> collect some information about food. I googled and found lots
> of restaurants that have online-menus, so i roughly know what
> i'll have to pay for the food when going out for dinner, but:

> What else do i have to pay? Are taxes included, if not,
> how much tax do i have to pay?

Approximately 8% state sales tax.

> Is service charged extra, or is it only the usual 10% Tip?

It is not included in the bill, customary is to add 15% to 18%
if it's a restaurant with table service.

> What do softdrinks usualy cost,
> i.e. 0.5L of Cola/Pespi/Similar

$2 to $3.

Have fun.

Steve

Thomas Müller

Steve Pope wrote:

> Thomas Müller > wrote:
>
>> Im planing a trip to San Diego in a few weeks, and wanted to
>> collect some information about food. I googled and found lots
>> of restaurants that have online-menus, so i roughly know what
>> i'll have to pay for the food when going out for dinner, but:

>> What else do i have to pay? Are taxes included, if not,
>> how much tax do i have to pay?

> Approximately 8% state sales tax.

So, if it says 8$ for a burger on the menu, i have to pay 8,64?
Here, all prices are with tax included, so i have to get used to adding
taxes before ordering

Thomas
Steve Pope

Thomas Müller > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Approximately 8% state sales tax.

>So, if it says 8$ for a burger on the menu, i have to pay 8,64?

Correct.

Steve
Shawn Hirn

In article >,
Thomas Muller > wrote:

> Hi there..
> Im planing a trip to San Diego in a few weeks, and wanted to collect some
> information about food. I googled and found lots of restaurants that have
> online-menus, so i roughly know what i'll have to pay for the food when
> going out for dinner, but:
>
> What else do i have to pay? Are taxes included, if not, how much tax do i
> have to pay? Is service charged extra, or is it only the usual 10% Tip?
> What do softdrinks usualy cost, i.e. 0.5L of Cola/Pespi/Similar, when you go
> to a medium priced bar or restaurant.

There's usually a sales tax, which is not quoted in the menu price. Some
areas have an additional tax for serving alcoholic beverages. The
customary tip is 15%, but 20% is quite common, especially for top notch
service. The tip is separate from the tax and neither is quoted in the
price at most restaurants. Some restaurants do have a policy of adding
on a tip for large groups of people, six or more is typical, but this
should be stated on the menu. When in doubt ask. This applies to
restaurants with table service, where a waitperson takes your order and
brings your food. For a buffet where only your drinks may be served, a
$1 tip per person is customary. A tip is not customary for fastfood
places and cafetarias where you serve yourself. The tip at full service
restaurants is also voluntary. If, for some reason, you feel the service
was not up to your expectations, you are free to reduce the amount you
tip, down to zero for really bad service.

Shawn Hirn

In article >,
Thomas Müller > wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
>
> > Thomas Müller > wrote:
> >
> >> Im planing a trip to San Diego in a few weeks, and wanted to
> >> collect some information about food. I googled and found lots
> >> of restaurants that have online-menus, so i roughly know what
> >> i'll have to pay for the food when going out for dinner, but:

> >> What else do i have to pay? Are taxes included, if not,
> >> how much tax do i have to pay?

> > Approximately 8% state sales tax.

> So, if it says 8$ for a burger on the menu, i have to pay 8,64?
> Here, all prices are with tax included, so i have to get used to adding
> taxes before ordering

Yes, and if that meal is served to you at a table, it is customery to
add in a 15%-20% tip. In that case, assuming a 20% tip, which is what I
usually leave, your hamburger would cost $8 + $0.64 + $1.60 = $1.25, but
most people would round to $10.25 to avoid receiving a penny in the
change. Also, it depends on the restaurant. Some restaurants require the
bill to be paid at the table. Others require the bill to be paid to a
cashier who is usually stationed near the exit. If you pay at a cashier,
you can leave the $1.60 on the table. Either way, you can also add the
tip in as an expense on your credit card if you pay with plastic instead
of cash. The credit card receipt will have a blank line where you can
fill in the amount of the tip if you want to charge that too. If you pay
the tip by cash, write $0.00 on the tip line, so as to avoid giving
anyone the opportunity to fill in an amount without your authorization.
Thomas Müller

Shawn Hirn wrote:

> In article >,
> Thomas Müller > wrote:
>
>> Steve Pope wrote:

>> > Approximately 8% state sales tax.

>> So, if it says 8$ for a burger on the menu, i have to pay 8,64?
>> Here, all prices are with tax included, so i have to get used to adding
>> taxes before ordering

> Yes, and if that meal is served to you at a table, it is customery to
> add in a 15%-20% tip.

Uh, thats.. much more than i usually give here in germany, good that i
asked ;-)
Is it common, that a service-charge as already on the bill? What happens if
I (stundent) eat the second-cheapest meal in a restaurant, am polite to the
waiter, but only give a 10% tip?
I guess he wont spit in my soup next time, but is there some kind of
"agreement" that its ok for less wealthy people to give less tip?

And, another question:
What do i do, if i enter a restaurant and nobody is there to bring me to a
table? Can i choose a seat, or do i have to wait for the waiter?

Shawn Hirn

In article >,
Thomas Müller > wrote:

> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Thomas Müller > wrote:

> >> So, if it says 8$ for a burger on the menu, i have to pay 8,64?
> >> Here, all prices are with tax included, so i have to get used to adding
> >> taxes before ordering

> > Yes, and if that meal is served to you at a table, it is customery to
> > add in a 15%-20% tip.

> Uh, thats.. much more than i usually give here in germany, good that i
> asked ;-)
> Is it common, that a service-charge as already on the bill? What happens if
> I (stundent) eat the second-cheapest meal in a restaurant, am polite to the
> waiter, but only give a 10% tip?

Most restaurants in the United States do hot add a service charge to the
bill. A few will add in a service charge only for large groups such as
six or more in a party, but even that is not too common. If a service
charge is added, the menu usually indicates what the policy is. When you
are in doubt, do not be shy about asking before you place your food
order.

> I guess he wont spit in my soup next time, but is there some kind of
> "agreement" that its ok for less wealthy people to give less tip?

No. Less wealthy people shouldn't eat out so much at full service
restaurants if they feel they can not afford the customary costs
involved in paying for a meal and a tip for reasonable service.

> And, another question:
> What do i do, if i enter a restaurant and nobody is there to bring me to a
> table? Can i choose a seat, or do i have to wait for the waiter?

That's an unusual situation. I have found that in such situations, its
usually fine to seat myself. Such situations are very unusual in the
states though so there's no need to worry about it. If I enter a
restaurant where no one is around to greet me, I usually walk out of the
the place right away. Restaurants with no one to greet customers usually
tend to offer bad service and the food may not be very good, so I just
leave and I look for a restaurant where the staff is available and
attentive.
Jimmy G

I'm a San Diego resident & have traveled quite a bit (Including 3 years in
Germany).

Don't feel obliged to leave a 20% tip if the service is poor...which it
often is. Service is notoriously poor in Southern California as compared to
much of Europe. I often leave a 10% tip when the service is poor, or less
when exceptionally poor. I have also left 25% or 30% when service was
exceptional.

When the check is left at the table in a tray, it is usually a sign to pay
at the table. If only a check is left, then you generally pay at the
register.

Try some of the Vietnamese fare on Convoy St., or at the Saigon Restaurant
on El Cajon Blvd., (Lousy neighborhood, good food).

The Gaslamp Quarter, Downtown has many restaurants, but they are a bit more
pricey than others away from that tourist area.

Good luck & enjoy your visit.

Josiah Gluck

Any suggestions ?

We're open to most cuisines...

Thanks,

JNG

Richard Kaszeta

Josiah Gluck > writes:
> Any suggestions ?
>
> We're open to most cuisines...

My favorites are (in rough order):

1. Five Spices Asian Cuisine, 175 Church Street. Fairly nice Asian
fusion food, with Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Korean
influences.

2. Smokejacks, 156 Church Street. Nice innovative American cuisine.
Good brunches, good cheeses, and good wines.

3. The NECI Commons, 25 Church Street (see the "Church Street"
pattern?). NECI student-run Cafe.

4. Bove's Italian. 68 Pearl Street. Good Italian-American joint.

5. American Flatbread. Franchise of the funky and venerable
Waitsfield, VT pizza joint. Very good pizza, beer, and funky
crunchy-granola-style Vermont liberal screeds on the walls. Very
limited menu, but the pizzas are very good.

Not restaurants, but worth visiting if you like beer:

1. Three Needs Brewery and Taproom, 207 College, if you're into beer,
but this place has the ambiance of a gritty college town bar (because
that's what it is).

2. The Magic Hat brewery.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

Eating Puppy Meat Is the Same as Eating Pork, British TV Chef Says Stephen Newport General Cooking 14 14-10-2011 12:03 AM
will work for you for free in San Diego to learn taco making business in San Diego Mark Cooking Equipment 0 18-06-2006 03:57 PM
Sushi in San Diego Thomas Müller Restaurants 0 05-09-2005 11:08 AM
San Diego Anita P. Ness Restaurants 9 13-10-2004 06:22 PM
bbq in san diego, ca Ben Snyder Barbecue 3 28-10-2003 01:20 AM