larry

Default restaurant edicate

Please excuse me if this is the wrong group to ask this question...

Over the past few years, my dad and I have been going out to dinner.. ..

While the waiter or waitress is serving us, I have this habit of calling the
waiter 'sir' and the waitress 'mam'...

My dad tells me that I should be one called sir.....

Which of us is correct?...

How should I be addressing the waiter and / or waitress?...

Larry

Puester

larry wrote:
> Please excuse me if this is the wrong group to ask this question...
>
> Over the past few years, my dad and I have been going out to dinner.. ..
>
> While the waiter or waitress is serving us, I have this habit of calling the
> waiter 'sir' and the waitress 'mam'...
>
> My dad tells me that I should be one called sir.....
>
> Which of us is correct?...
>
> How should I be addressing the waiter and / or waitress?...
>
> Larry

What does your dad suggest you call them???

I believe that you and the waiter/waitress should address each other as
sir/ma'am. Just because they are taking your order and serving your
food, it doesn't make tham any less worthy of respect, particularly
if you are a young person.

Snapping your fingers or calling out "Hey, you" at your server
(yes, I've seen both done) are the epitome of rudeness.

gloria p
Truth Teller

is ANYone going to comment on the fact that the word is etiquette???

stop playing Game Boy and read a ****ing book...
Gimme a Break

Respect both ways is appropriate....so go ahead call them maam or sir,
unless of course they introduce themselves or have a name tag, then call
them by name.

"larry" > wrote in message
> Please excuse me if this is the wrong group to ask this question...
>
> Over the past few years, my dad and I have been going out to dinner.. ..
>
> While the waiter or waitress is serving us, I have this habit of calling

the
> waiter 'sir' and the waitress 'mam'...
>
> My dad tells me that I should be one called sir.....
>
> Which of us is correct?...
>
> How should I be addressing the waiter and / or waitress?...
>
> Larry

> is ANYone going to comment on the fact that the word is etiquette???

That would be rude.

> stop playing Game Boy and read a ****ing book...

And you, read an etiquette book.