FoodBanter.com

-   Restaurants (https://www.foodbanter.com/restaurants/)
-   -   vanilla phosphates (https://www.foodbanter.com/restaurants/59162-vanilla-phosphates.html)

[email protected] 16-04-2005 12:45 AM

vanilla phosphates

When I was a kid, I used to get a truly wonderful soda fountain drink
called a vanilla phosphate.

As far as I can tell, this beverage seems to have vanished from the face
of the Earth.

Does anyone know where they may still be had?

Bob Bailin 16-04-2005 02:10 PM

> wrote in message ...
> When I was a kid, I used to get a truly wonderful soda fountain drink
> called a vanilla phosphate.
>
> As far as I can tell, this beverage seems to have vanished from the face
> of the Earth.
>
> Does anyone know where they may still be had?

Google is your friend. Try it.

Doug Elrod 18-04-2005 05:20 PM

In article >, wrote:

> When I was a kid, I used to get a truly wonderful soda fountain drink
> called a vanilla phosphate.
>
> As far as I can tell, this beverage seems to have vanished from the face
> of the Earth.
>
> Does anyone know where they may still be had?

You can get them at "real" soda fountains. Try small towns where they
haven't been pushed out by the chains. Last summer I was at what may
be one of the oldest surviving ones, the Wilton Candy Kitchen in
Wilton, IA. I'll bet they could make one.

-Doug Elrod )

Stan 18-04-2005 07:53 PM

On 4/15/05 7:45 PM, in article ,
" > wrote:

> When I was a kid, I used to get a truly wonderful soda fountain drink
> called a vanilla phosphate.
>
> As far as I can tell, this beverage seems to have vanished from the face
> of the Earth.
>
> Does anyone know where they may still be had?

Phosphates are what we called 'em in the Midwest. New Yorkers know them
better as egg creams.

-Stan

Kate Connally 18-04-2005 09:07 PM

Stan wrote:

> On 4/15/05 7:45 PM, in article ,
> " > wrote:
>
> > When I was a kid, I used to get a truly wonderful soda fountain drink
> > called a vanilla phosphate.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, this beverage seems to have vanished from the face
> > of the Earth.
> >
> > Does anyone know where they may still be had?

> Phosphates are what we called 'em in the Midwest. New Yorkers know them
> better as egg creams.
>
> -Stan

Actually, an egg cream is different from a phosphate.
A phosphate has only syrup and soda water. An egg cream
has has milk in it and is only made with chocolate syrup.
A phosphate can be made with any flavor syrup - vanilla
phosphate, cherry phosphate, strawberry phosphate, or
or chocolate phosphate. Those were the flavors available
at the sode fountain I used to frequent when I was young.
You could make any flavor you wanted if you had the syrup.
Pineapple would be yummy!

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally 18-04-2005 09:07 PM

Christopher C. Stacy 21-04-2005 08:37 AM

Kate Connally > writes:

> Stan wrote:
> >
> > On 4/15/05 7:45 PM, in article ,
> > " > wrote:
> >
> > > When I was a kid, I used to get a truly wonderful soda fountain drink
> > > called a vanilla phosphate.
> > >
> > > As far as I can tell, this beverage seems to have vanished from the face
> > > of the Earth.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know where they may still be had?

> > Phosphates are what we called 'em in the Midwest. New Yorkers know them
> > better as egg creams.
> >
> > -Stan

> Actually, an egg cream is different from a phosphate.
> A phosphate has only syrup and soda water. An egg cream
> has has milk in it and is only made with chocolate syrup.
> A phosphate can be made with any flavor syrup - vanilla
> phosphate, cherry phosphate, strawberry phosphate, or
> or chocolate phosphate. Those were the flavors available
> at the sode fountain I used to frequent when I was young.
> You could make any flavor you wanted if you had the syrup.
> Pineapple would be yummy!

My experience in New York is that egg creams come in
either chocolate or vanilla. In either case, the only
acceptable syrup brand is "Fox's U-Bet". (And it's
half-and-half, not milk. And seltzer.)