Karen Selwyn

Default NYC: Brunch Recommendations

I'd appreciate some recommendations for a good restaurant for Sunday
brunch in the Midtown West section of NY. So far, I've come up with Cafe
des Artistes.

Thanks in advance.

Karen Selwyn

Dan

Karen Selwyn wrote:
> I'd appreciate some recommendations for a good restaurant for Sunday
> brunch in the Midtown West section of NY. So far, I've come up with

Cafe
> des Artistes.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Karen Selwyn

It's a little east (on Park Ave. S.), but Les Halles has a nice Sunday
brunch for $15.95/person (it isn't cheap, but not too expensive
either). This is the restaurant where Anthony Bourdain is the exec.
chef.

:-Dan

According to Zagats
First the name, tel #, Zagats ratings for Food Qualty, Decor, Service
and Price for Dinner for one.
Aquavit 307-7311 26 26 25 68
Scandi good 4 brunch 13 W54
Atelier 521-6125 26 25 26 93
Town 582-4445 25 26 23 73
Fives 903-3918 24 25 25 60
Petrossian 245-2214 24 24 23 70
Taboon 713-0271 23 19 17 42
Blue Fin 918-1400 22 23 19 52
La Boite en Bois 874-2705 22 16 20 47
Brasserie 8 1/2 829-0812 22 24 20 52
good choice 57 btwn 5th & 6th
Orso 489-7212 22 18 20 50
Trattoria Dell'Arte 245-9800 22 20 20 51
good 7th btwn 56/57
Cafe Des Artistes 22 26 23 65

Cafe Botanica 484-5120 21 26 22 56 Essex House
Rainbow Room 632-5100 19 27 21 VE 30 Rock
Plaza's Palm Ct. 546-5350 19 26 20 51

These ratings are all for dinner so who knows....but Zagats says they
have brunch.

If Dan's been to Les Halles, which is not in Zagats, that might be the
best choice. However, everyone's taste is different. I haven't had
brunch in any of them. I recently went to a wedding at the Essex
House (Central Park South) where Cafe Botanica is, and it was
exquisite.

On 17 Dec 2004 08:05:35 -0800, "Dan" > wrote:

>Karen Selwyn wrote:
>> I'd appreciate some recommendations for a good restaurant for Sunday
>> brunch in the Midtown West section of NY. So far, I've come up with

>Cafe
>> des Artistes.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Karen Selwyn

>It's a little east (on Park Ave. S.), but Les Halles has a nice Sunday
>brunch for $15.95/person (it isn't cheap, but not too expensive
>either). This is the restaurant where Anthony Bourdain is the exec.
>chef.
>
>:-Dan

According to Zagats
First the name, tel #, Zagats ratings for Food Qualty, Decor, Service
and Price for Dinner for one.
Aquavit 307-7311 26 26 25 68
Scandi good 4 brunch 13 W54
Atelier 521-6125 26 25 26 93
Town 582-4445 25 26 23 73
Fives 903-3918 24 25 25 60
Petrossian 245-2214 24 24 23 70
Taboon 713-0271 23 19 17 42
Blue Fin 918-1400 22 23 19 52
La Boite en Bois 874-2705 22 16 20 47
Brasserie 8 1/2 829-0812 22 24 20 52
good choice 57 btwn 5th & 6th
Orso 489-7212 22 18 20 50
Trattoria Dell'Arte 245-9800 22 20 20 51
good 7th btwn 56/57
Cafe Des Artistes 22 26 23 65

Cafe Botanica 484-5120 21 26 22 56 Essex House
Rainbow Room 632-5100 19 27 21 VE 30 Rock
Plaza's Palm Ct. 546-5350 19 26 20 51

These ratings are all for dinner so who knows....but Zagats says they
have brunch.

If Dan's been to Les Halles, which is not in Zagats, that might be the
best choice. However, everyone's taste is different. I haven't had
brunch in any of them. I recently went to a wedding at the Essex
House (Central Park South) where Cafe Botanica is, and it was
exquisite.

On 17 Dec 2004 08:05:35 -0800, "Dan" > wrote:

>Karen Selwyn wrote:
>> I'd appreciate some recommendations for a good restaurant for Sunday
>> brunch in the Midtown West section of NY. So far, I've come up with

>Cafe
>> des Artistes.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Karen Selwyn

>It's a little east (on Park Ave. S.), but Les Halles has a nice Sunday
>brunch for $15.95/person (it isn't cheap, but not too expensive
>either). This is the restaurant where Anthony Bourdain is the exec.
>chef.
>
>:-Dan

Karen Selwyn

Thanks for this very detailed list. I've had to eliminate some appealing
choices like Aquavit because it doesn't open for brunch until noon. I'm
juggling all sorts of factors, and one of them is that we must be seated
at 11:30 because of afternoon meeting times.

Here are a few more facts to help you make a recommendation among my
current restaurant possibilities:

o The brunch will be in honor of a 60th birthday and the guests are all
in their 50s and 60s.
o The guest list will be between 10-15.
o A private room would be best, but a private corner of a main dining
room will also work.
o Good food -- but not cutting edge food -- is the goal.
o Served food is better than buffet food unless a buffet can be set up
in a private room.
o A pleasant atmosphere is preferable to a happening atmosphere.
o The price per person should not exceed $35 before taxes and tips.

I think Atelier, Becco, Cafe des Artistes, Nick and Toni's Cafe, and
Town all meet my criteria. Any recommendations among my list or the
Zagat list below?

Thanks.

Karen Selwyn

wrote:

> According to Zagats
>
> Aquavit
> Atelier
> Town
> Fives
> Petrossian
> Blue Fin
> La Boite en Bois
> Brasserie 8 1/2
> Orso
> Trattoria Dell'Arte
> Cafe Des Artistes
> Cafe Botanica
> Rainbow Room
> Plaza's Palm Ct.

Karen Selwyn

wrote:

> According to Zagats
>
> Aquavit
> Atelier
> Town
> Fives
> Petrossian
> Blue Fin
> La Boite en Bois
> Brasserie 8 1/2
> Orso
> Trattoria Dell'Arte
> Cafe Des Artistes
> Cafe Botanica
> Rainbow Room
> Plaza's Palm Ct.

bijoudog

We had brunch at Cafe Botanica with a group ranging from 45-77 years old,
and everyone enjoyed it. A bit pricey, but quite worth it.

It is a combination of buffet for appetizer and dessert, service for the
entree.

"Karen Selwyn" > wrote in message
> Thanks for this very detailed list. I've had to eliminate some appealing
> choices like Aquavit because it doesn't open for brunch until noon. I'm
> juggling all sorts of factors, and one of them is that we must be seated
> at 11:30 because of afternoon meeting times.
>
> Here are a few more facts to help you make a recommendation among my
> current restaurant possibilities:
>
> o The brunch will be in honor of a 60th birthday and the guests are all
> in their 50s and 60s.
> o The guest list will be between 10-15.
> o A private room would be best, but a private corner of a main dining
> room will also work.
> o Good food -- but not cutting edge food -- is the goal.
> o Served food is better than buffet food unless a buffet can be set up
> in a private room.
> o A pleasant atmosphere is preferable to a happening atmosphere.
> o The price per person should not exceed $35 before taxes and tips.
>
> I think Atelier, Becco, Cafe des Artistes, Nick and Toni's Cafe, and Town
> all meet my criteria. Any recommendations among my list or the Zagat list
> below?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Karen Selwyn
>

> wrote:
>
>> According to Zagats
>>
>> Aquavit Atelier Town Fives Petrossian Blue Fin La Boite en Bois
>> Brasserie 8 1/2 Orso Trattoria Dell'Arte Cafe Des Artistes Cafe
>> Botanica Rainbow Room Plaza's Palm Ct.

bijoudog

We had brunch at Cafe Botanica with a group ranging from 45-77 years old,
and everyone enjoyed it. A bit pricey, but quite worth it.

It is a combination of buffet for appetizer and dessert, service for the
entree.

"Karen Selwyn" > wrote in message
> Thanks for this very detailed list. I've had to eliminate some appealing
> choices like Aquavit because it doesn't open for brunch until noon. I'm
> juggling all sorts of factors, and one of them is that we must be seated
> at 11:30 because of afternoon meeting times.
>
> Here are a few more facts to help you make a recommendation among my
> current restaurant possibilities:
>
> o The brunch will be in honor of a 60th birthday and the guests are all
> in their 50s and 60s.
> o The guest list will be between 10-15.
> o A private room would be best, but a private corner of a main dining
> room will also work.
> o Good food -- but not cutting edge food -- is the goal.
> o Served food is better than buffet food unless a buffet can be set up
> in a private room.
> o A pleasant atmosphere is preferable to a happening atmosphere.
> o The price per person should not exceed $35 before taxes and tips.
>
> I think Atelier, Becco, Cafe des Artistes, Nick and Toni's Cafe, and Town
> all meet my criteria. Any recommendations among my list or the Zagat list
> below?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Karen Selwyn
>

> wrote:
>
>> According to Zagats
>>
>> Aquavit Atelier Town Fives Petrossian Blue Fin La Boite en Bois
>> Brasserie 8 1/2 Orso Trattoria Dell'Arte Cafe Des Artistes Cafe
>> Botanica Rainbow Room Plaza's Palm Ct.

Dan

Karen Selwyn wrote:
> Thanks for this very detailed list. I've had to eliminate some

appealing
> choices like Aquavit because it doesn't open for brunch until noon.

I'm
> juggling all sorts of factors, and one of them is that we must be

seated
> at 11:30 because of afternoon meeting times.

That will also rule out Les Halles for the same reason.

> Here are a few more facts to help you make a recommendation among my
> current restaurant possibilities:
>
> o The brunch will be in honor of a 60th birthday and the guests are

all
> in their 50s and 60s.
> o The guest list will be between 10-15.
> o A private room would be best, but a private corner of a main dining
> room will also work.
> o Good food -- but not cutting edge food -- is the goal.
> o Served food is better than buffet food unless a buffet can be set

up
> in a private room.
> o A pleasant atmosphere is preferable to a happening atmosphere.
> o The price per person should not exceed $35 before taxes and tips.

I'll keep it in mind and ask around for suggestions. I don't go into
Manhattan too often for brunch - I usually stick to Queens and
Brooklyn.

> I think Atelier, Becco, Cafe des Artistes, Nick and Toni's Cafe, and
> Town all meet my criteria. Any recommendations among my list or the
> Zagat list below?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Karen Selwyn
>

> wrote:
>
> > According to Zagats
> >
> > Aquavit
> > Atelier
> > Town
> > Fives
> > Petrossian
> > Blue Fin
> > La Boite en Bois
> > Brasserie 8 1/2
> > Orso
> > Trattoria Dell'Arte
> > Cafe Des Artistes
> > Cafe Botanica
> > Rainbow Room
> > Plaza's Palm Ct.

ultradave

Karen Selwyn wrote:
> I'd appreciate some recommendations for a good restaurant for Sunday
> brunch in the Midtown West section of NY. So far, I've come up with

Cafe
> des Artistes.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Karen Selwyn

Karen,
I have found the best resource on food for NYC is a site run by one of
NYC's best food writers, Andrea Strong, www.andreastrong.com She has a
weekly newsletter on restaurants in NYC, and the most up to date, and
appropriate reviews. I would check it out for your current and future
needs. If you would prefer not to dine by the numbers (Zagat), this is
the site to check out. Cheers, David

Karen Selwyn

ultradave wrote:

> I have found the best resource on food for NYC is a site run by one of
> NYC's best food writers, Andrea Strong, www.andreastrong.com

Thanks. Ms. Strong's writing is lovely to read and -- for the
restaurants with which I'm familiar -- spot on. I'd have confidence in
her recs for unfamiliar restaurants.

Karen Selwyn

Karen Selwyn

Brunch ImStillMags General Cooking 0 12-10-2011 11:29 PM
Brunch Chemo the Clown[_2_] General Cooking 0 12-10-2011 05:02 PM
Brunch 4/20 [email protected] General Cooking 0 20-04-2008 10:56 PM
OUT TO BRUNCH! Andy General Cooking 1 23-07-2006 05:48 PM
NYC RFC Brunch Terry Pulliam Burd General Cooking 81 26-02-2004 12:14 PM