confused

Default Tipping for carryout?

A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

And a question on tipping in general: do you take 20% of the pre-tax amount,
or the post-tax amount?

SoCalMike

confused wrote:

> A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
> office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
> those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
> never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
> if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> carryout?

i wouldnt. hes just handing you a bag of food.
SoCalMike

confused wrote:

> A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
> office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
> those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
> never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
> if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> carryout?

i wouldnt. hes just handing you a bag of food.
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
>because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
>if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
>carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

If I go to an actual restaurant for carry-out, I'll usually give a one
or two dollar tip, depending on the size of the order.

No table service was provided, no extra courtesies, so 20% is absurd.

But a "gratuity" is a thank you, so I do it.
onelith

confused wrote in message >. ..
> A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
> office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
> those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
> never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
> if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

Hi,
Being a frugal person, I get take out to bring home to avoid tipping
for very little service, paying inflated prices for drinks and to avoid
the silverware and drinking glasses that look "beat".
I do enjoy the food much better in the comfort of my own home. The tip
for a bartender or waitress for handing you a bag of food shouldn't be
more than a buck or two.
onelith

onelith

confused wrote in message >. ..
> A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
> office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
> those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
> never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
> if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

Hi,
Being a frugal person, I get take out to bring home to avoid tipping
for very little service, paying inflated prices for drinks and to avoid
the silverware and drinking glasses that look "beat".
I do enjoy the food much better in the comfort of my own home. The tip
for a bartender or waitress for handing you a bag of food shouldn't be
more than a buck or two.
onelith
Chuck

<confused> wrote in message
> A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant

near my
> office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food,

and
> those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because

I've
> never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a

bartender
> if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?
>
> And a question on tipping in general: do you take 20% of the pre-tax

amount,
> or the post-tax amount?

I never tip if they just hand me a bag of food. (never tip at Sonic drive in
either) So what if a bartender "expects" a tip. Did he fix me a drink? No.

As far as tipping in general, I normally double the tax amount, then round
up to the nearest whole dollar amount. If service was real good, I will add
a couple of bucks to that, bad service, deduct some money from that amount.

---

Don K

<confused> wrote in message ...
> A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
> office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
> those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
> never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
> if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

I tip someone who provides a service.
Handing over a bag is not service, IMO.

> And a question on tipping in general: do you take 20% of the pre-tax amount,
> or the post-tax amount?

If I want to add a tip to my taxes, I'll give it to the governor,
not to a waiter.

Don

Don K

<confused> wrote in message ...
> A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
> office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
> those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
> never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
> if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

I tip someone who provides a service.
Handing over a bag is not service, IMO.

> And a question on tipping in general: do you take 20% of the pre-tax amount,
> or the post-tax amount?

If I want to add a tip to my taxes, I'll give it to the governor,
not to a waiter.

Don

Dave L

> I never tip if they just hand me a bag of food. (never tip at Sonic drive
> in
> either) So what if a bartender "expects" a tip. Did he fix me a drink? No.
>
> As far as tipping in general, I normally double the tax amount, then round
> up to the nearest whole dollar amount. If service was real good, I will
> add
> a couple of bucks to that, bad service, deduct some money from that
> amount.

Depending on which state you live, the tax amount varies. Here in MD the
sales tax is 5% so doubling it would still be less than the 15% gratuity
that is the norm. I typically give more than the 15% depending on the
service I receive. Don't eat out at restaurants as much as I used to - gets
too expensive.

-Dave

Dave L

> I never tip if they just hand me a bag of food. (never tip at Sonic drive
> in
> either) So what if a bartender "expects" a tip. Did he fix me a drink? No.
>
> As far as tipping in general, I normally double the tax amount, then round
> up to the nearest whole dollar amount. If service was real good, I will
> add
> a couple of bucks to that, bad service, deduct some money from that
> amount.

Depending on which state you live, the tax amount varies. Here in MD the
sales tax is 5% so doubling it would still be less than the 15% gratuity
that is the norm. I typically give more than the 15% depending on the
service I receive. Don't eat out at restaurants as much as I used to - gets
too expensive.

-Dave

Chuck

"Dave L" > wrote in message
> > I never tip if they just hand me a bag of food. (never tip at Sonic

drive
> > in
> > either) So what if a bartender "expects" a tip. Did he fix me a drink?

No.

> > As far as tipping in general, I normally double the tax amount, then

round
> > up to the nearest whole dollar amount. If service was real good, I will
> > add
> > a couple of bucks to that, bad service, deduct some money from that
> > amount.

> Depending on which state you live, the tax amount varies. Here in MD the
> sales tax is 5% so doubling it would still be less than the 15% gratuity
> that is the norm. I typically give more than the 15% depending on the
> service I receive. Don't eat out at restaurants as much as I used to -

gets
> too expensive.

OK... I'm in Texas and tax is 8.25% in my area...

---

Chuck

"Dave L" > wrote in message
> > I never tip if they just hand me a bag of food. (never tip at Sonic

drive
> > in
> > either) So what if a bartender "expects" a tip. Did he fix me a drink?

No.

> > As far as tipping in general, I normally double the tax amount, then

round
> > up to the nearest whole dollar amount. If service was real good, I will
> > add
> > a couple of bucks to that, bad service, deduct some money from that
> > amount.

> Depending on which state you live, the tax amount varies. Here in MD the
> sales tax is 5% so doubling it would still be less than the 15% gratuity
> that is the norm. I typically give more than the 15% depending on the
> service I receive. Don't eat out at restaurants as much as I used to -

gets
> too expensive.

OK... I'm in Texas and tax is 8.25% in my area...

---

Dave L

"Chuck" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Dave L" > wrote in message
>> > I never tip if they just hand me a bag of food. (never tip at Sonic

> drive
>> > in
>> > either) So what if a bartender "expects" a tip. Did he fix me a drink?

> No.
>> >
>> > As far as tipping in general, I normally double the tax amount, then

> round
>> > up to the nearest whole dollar amount. If service was real good, I will
>> > add
>> > a couple of bucks to that, bad service, deduct some money from that
>> > amount.

>> Depending on which state you live, the tax amount varies. Here in MD the
>> sales tax is 5% so doubling it would still be less than the 15% gratuity
>> that is the norm. I typically give more than the 15% depending on the
>> service I receive. Don't eat out at restaurants as much as I used to -

> gets
>> too expensive.
>>

> OK... I'm in Texas and tax is 8.25% in my area...

Ah, that makes sense now. Makes our 5% sales tax look paltry in comparison.
Think Delaware and other state has NO sales tax - triple that and the
waiter/waitress would still get zilch! People who do that should be banned
from restaurants.

Dave L

"Chuck" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Dave L" > wrote in message
>> > I never tip if they just hand me a bag of food. (never tip at Sonic

> drive
>> > in
>> > either) So what if a bartender "expects" a tip. Did he fix me a drink?

> No.
>> >
>> > As far as tipping in general, I normally double the tax amount, then

> round
>> > up to the nearest whole dollar amount. If service was real good, I will
>> > add
>> > a couple of bucks to that, bad service, deduct some money from that
>> > amount.

>> Depending on which state you live, the tax amount varies. Here in MD the
>> sales tax is 5% so doubling it would still be less than the 15% gratuity
>> that is the norm. I typically give more than the 15% depending on the
>> service I receive. Don't eat out at restaurants as much as I used to -

> gets
>> too expensive.
>>

> OK... I'm in Texas and tax is 8.25% in my area...

Ah, that makes sense now. Makes our 5% sales tax look paltry in comparison.
Think Delaware and other state has NO sales tax - triple that and the
waiter/waitress would still get zilch! People who do that should be banned
from restaurants.

The Real Bev

Don K wrote:

> <confused> wrote:
> > A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
> > office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
> > those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
> > never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> > because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
> > if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> > carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

> I tip someone who provides a service.
> Handing over a bag is not service, IMO.

Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in green,
too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps you
find something, should you tip her too? What if she just hovers at your
elbow? What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

You can tell that it's been a LONG time since I've shopped in such a
place. Not long enough, though.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

--
Cheers,
Bev
JonquilJan

<confused> wrote in message
> A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant

near my
> office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food,

and
> those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because

I've
> never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a

bartender
> if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?
>
> And a question on tipping in general: do you take 20% of the pre-tax

amount,
> or the post-tax amount?

I frequently stop at the oriental carryout in the village. They have a jar
on the counter with some change and a few dollar bills in it and a 'Thank
You' sign on it. They also don't bother much with change - if I am owed 23
cents - I get a quarter back. I also often tell them to keep the change.

I don't feel compelled to leave a tip however.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Bill 2

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
> that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in green,
> too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps you
> find something, should you tip her too? What if she just hovers at your
> elbow? What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

They get commission, so tips aren't needed.

Bill 2

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
> that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in green,
> too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps you
> find something, should you tip her too? What if she just hovers at your
> elbow? What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

They get commission, so tips aren't needed.

Don K

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message ...
> Don K wrote:
> >
> > <confused> wrote:
> > > A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
> > > office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
> > > those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
> > > never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> > > because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
> > > if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> > > carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

> > I tip someone who provides a service.
> > Handing over a bag is not service, IMO.

> Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
> that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in green,
> too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps you
> find something, should you tip her too?

Service is a necessary but not sufficient condition to tip.
Another necessary condition is that it be customary.

What if she just hovers at your
> elbow?

I would give a tip to see anyone who could levitate themselves.

What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

Even a guy.

Don

Don K

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message ...
> Don K wrote:
> >
> > <confused> wrote:
> > > A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
> > > office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
> > > those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
> > > never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> > > because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
> > > if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> > > carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

> > I tip someone who provides a service.
> > Handing over a bag is not service, IMO.

> Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
> that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in green,
> too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps you
> find something, should you tip her too?

Service is a necessary but not sufficient condition to tip.
Another necessary condition is that it be customary.

What if she just hovers at your
> elbow?

I would give a tip to see anyone who could levitate themselves.

What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

Even a guy.

Don

Chuck

"Bill 2" > wrote in message

> "The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> > Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
> > that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in green,
> > too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps you
> > find something, should you tip her too? What if she just hovers at your
> > elbow? What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

> They get commission, so tips aren't needed.

Who says they are commissioned sales? Most retail is non-commission.

---

Chuck

"Bill 2" > wrote in message

> "The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> > Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
> > that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in green,
> > too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps you
> > find something, should you tip her too? What if she just hovers at your
> > elbow? What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

> They get commission, so tips aren't needed.

Who says they are commissioned sales? Most retail is non-commission.

---

The Real Bev

Bill 2 wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote:
> > Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
> > that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in green,
> > too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps you
> > find something, should you tip her too? What if she just hovers at your
> > elbow? What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

> They get commission, so tips aren't needed.

When I worked at Sears back in the late 50s (when "May I help you?" was
required) we part-timers got 1%. That was about a buck for 4 hours
work, which paid for my cigarettes for the day. A guy once tipped me a
buck for wrapping a package, which absolutely floored me.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Real Bev

Bill 2 wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote:
> > Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
> > that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in green,
> > too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps you
> > find something, should you tip her too? What if she just hovers at your
> > elbow? What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

> They get commission, so tips aren't needed.

When I worked at Sears back in the late 50s (when "May I help you?" was
required) we part-timers got 1%. That was about a buck for 4 hours
work, which paid for my cigarettes for the day. A guy once tipped me a
buck for wrapping a package, which absolutely floored me.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"I'm sorry I ever invented the Electoral College."
Al Gore 11/08/00

Kate Connally

Chuck wrote:

> "Joel M. Eichen" > wrote in message
> > On 21 Nov 2004 06:04:44 -0800, (onelith) wrote:
> >
> > >confused wrote in message

> >. ..

> near my

> food, and

> because I've

> this,

> bartender

> for
> > >
> > >Hi,
> > > Being a frugal person, I get take out to bring home to avoid tipping
> > >for very little service, paying inflated prices for drinks

> > Better stay outa bars .........
> >

> <snip>
>
> Why is that Joel? The one's here offer any coin-any drink, .75 or 1.00
> longnecks, etc... That's not too bad. Tip a buck ever other drink or so...
>
> But you can buy a case of longnecks for about .70 each from Sams and take
> home though... but you miss out on the smoke and loud music though...

You make that sound like a *bad* thing. ????

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Chuck wrote:

> "Joel M. Eichen" > wrote in message
> > On 21 Nov 2004 06:04:44 -0800, (onelith) wrote:
> >
> > >confused wrote in message

> >. ..

> near my

> food, and

> because I've

> this,

> bartender

> for
> > >
> > >Hi,
> > > Being a frugal person, I get take out to bring home to avoid tipping
> > >for very little service, paying inflated prices for drinks

> > Better stay outa bars .........
> >

> <snip>
>
> Why is that Joel? The one's here offer any coin-any drink, .75 or 1.00
> longnecks, etc... That's not too bad. Tip a buck ever other drink or so...
>
> But you can buy a case of longnecks for about .70 each from Sams and take
> home though... but you miss out on the smoke and loud music though...

You make that sound like a *bad* thing. ????

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Joel M. Eichen

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:07:44 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>> Why is that Joel? The one's here offer any coin-any drink, .75 or 1.00
>> longnecks, etc... That's not too bad. Tip a buck ever other drink or so...
>>
>> But you can buy a case of longnecks for about .70 each from Sams and take
>> home though... but you miss out on the smoke and loud music though...

>You make that sound like a *bad* thing. ????
>
>Kate
>
>--
>Kate Connally

***

OK Cool, Kathy.

Send me the Mapquest and I'll be there at 7:00p.

Joely

Joel M. Eichen

wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>> Why is that Joel? The one's here offer any coin-any drink, .75 or 1.00
>> longnecks, etc... That's not too bad. Tip a buck ever other drink or so...
>>
>> But you can buy a case of longnecks for about .70 each from Sams and take
>> home though... but you miss out on the smoke and loud music though...

>You make that sound like a *bad* thing. ????
>
>Kate
>
>--
>Kate Connally

***

OK Cool, Kathy.

Send me the Mapquest and I'll be there at 7:00p.

Joely

Bill 2

"Chuck" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Bill 2" > wrote in message
> >
> > "The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> > > Suppose you shop in a store that offers personal service -- you know,
> > > that annoying person who approaches you and says "We have that in

green,
> > > too. Is there anything I can help you with?" If she actually helps

you
> > > find something, should you tip her too? What if she just hovers at

your
> > > elbow? What if it's a guy instead of a girl?

> > They get commission, so tips aren't needed.

> Who says they are commissioned sales? Most retail is non-commission.

Generally the stores where employees stalk you are on commission (that's why
they are staling you, if they weren't they'd be hiding, not helping). If
they weren't on commission I still wouldn't give them a tip because I'm
perfectly happy shopping on my own, and their help is unwanted.

Chuck

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Chuck wrote:

> > >. ..

restaurant
> > near my

my
> > food, and

> > because I've

> > this,

> > bartender

tip
> > for

> > > Better stay outa bars .........
> > >

> > <snip>
> >
> > Why is that Joel? The one's here offer any coin-any drink, .75 or 1.00
> > longnecks, etc... That's not too bad. Tip a buck ever other drink or

so...

> > But you can buy a case of longnecks for about .70 each from Sams and

take
> > home though... but you miss out on the smoke and loud music though...

> You make that sound like a *bad* thing. ????

I can do without the smoke... I can handle the longnecks and loud music
thought... well, depending on what kinda music it is...

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Chuck

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Chuck wrote:

> > >. ..

restaurant
> > near my

my
> > food, and

> > because I've

> > this,

> > bartender

tip
> > for

> > > Better stay outa bars .........
> > >

> > <snip>
> >
> > Why is that Joel? The one's here offer any coin-any drink, .75 or 1.00
> > longnecks, etc... That's not too bad. Tip a buck ever other drink or

so...

> > But you can buy a case of longnecks for about .70 each from Sams and

take
> > home though... but you miss out on the smoke and loud music though...

> You make that sound like a *bad* thing. ????

I can do without the smoke... I can handle the longnecks and loud music
thought... well, depending on what kinda music it is...

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

~^Johnny^~

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:29:12 GMT, "Chuck" > wrote:

>I can do without the smoke... I can handle the longnecks and loud music
>thought... well, depending on what kinda music it is...

When it's loud mariachi, from my inconsiderate Mexican neighbors,
interfering with my enjoyment of the works of Katy Moffatt, or Beethoven,
then it's a little much.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining
- JFK
~~~~~~~~
Carsonia Parker

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:34:39 -0500, confused wrote:

>A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
>office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
>those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
>never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
>because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
>if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
>carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

At a large popular chain in which I once worked, whoever rang up the
takeout had to put it in with their own charges and thus pay taxes on
an assumed tip. We also had to assemble the food, pack up all the
sides, etc.. It was a real pain. Because there was rarely a tip
involved and we had tipping customers to wait on, no one wanted to
ever do the takeout. Often, the takeout was poorly or incorrectly
assembled as a result. Sometimes the bartender had to leave the bar
to assemble the takeout, which resulted in slowed bar service for all.

Don't assume there is no service involved. However, this is not the
customer's fault. Good management can come up with a system that
works for everyone's good. I do tip for takeout depending on the
place, usually about 10%. I like to establish a good relationship
with restaurants I like which results in good service when I return.

Cheers, Carsonia Parker
Christopher C. Stacy

Carsonia Parker > writes:
> I do tip for takeout depending on the place, usually about 10%. I
> like to establish a good relationship with restaurants I like which
> results in good service when I return.

How about this strategy: when you go fetch your takeout food,
if it's all messed up as you described, complain to the manager
about the problem; if they don't fix it, leave and don't come back.
Be sure to tell all your friends.
There's no shortage of restaurants.

Tipping at the bar asdf Beer 19 26-11-2006 07:34 AM
Tipping in the US jmcquown General Cooking 36 09-03-2005 02:43 PM
Thank you for not tipping Jessica V. General Cooking 261 01-11-2004 12:02 PM
Tipping - was Tipping on Wine Dick R. Wine 21 26-08-2004 03:05 AM
? about tipping JANIC412 General Cooking 5 17-10-2003 10:47 AM