Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Default La Pantera restaurant in San Francisco

On Tuesday, December 1, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, David Hall wrote:
> Does anyone remember La Pantera in the North Beach area of SF? I was
> last there about twenty years ago (maybe 25...). It was a lovely
> family-style Italian restaurant. They had no menu that I recall; you
> ate what they prepared that day. You were seated at large tables with
> strangers and they served delicious Italian food in the Italian style:
> antipasti, a primo, a secondo, and dessert.
>
> Does anyone know if it still exists? I've looked for them online and
> can't find them in any of the "yellow web pages".
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

I USE TO EAT AT "LA PANTERA" BACK IN 1967 WHEN RENA, THE RED-HEADED OWNER--WHO LOOKED GERMAN--WOULD COMMANDEER HER RESTAURANT LIKE A GENERAL..."YOU SIT HERE. YOU SIT THERE." WE SHUT OUR MOUTHS AND OBEYED BECAUSE WE KNEW WE WERE IN FOR A FABULOUS, HEARTY, ITALIAN DINNER--HOMEMADE RAVIOLI'S, CHICKEN BAKED IN HERBS, SCALLOPINI, ROASTED POTATOES IN ROSEMARY, RISOTTO, GNOCCHI AND A BIG SALAD FOR THE ENTIRE TABLE OF 6. IF RENA WAS IN A GOOD MOOD YOU COULD GET SECONDS. THIS IS THE NORTH BEACH I CHERISHED. HOW SAD THAT THE YOUNGER GENERATIONS WILL NEVER EXPERIENCE THE "GOLDEN YEARS' OF SAN FRANCISCO.