Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Default The Stench of Subway

Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
sandwich shop?

The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
well with whatever else they got going on in there.

I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
be eating there anytime again soon.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 11/30/2010 11:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
> sandwich shop?
>
> The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
> like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
> there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
> well with whatever else they got going on in there.
>
> I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
> in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
> be eating there anytime again soon.
>
> -sw

To each his own. Personally, I usually don't smell anything foul when I
either walk by or go into a Subway sandwich shop. I don't consider
Subway to be a bakery, so I don't expect it to smell the way a bakery
does. Bakeries generally smell yeasty and sweet. Not sure that when I
want the type of sandwich I can get in Subway, I would want a sweet,
yeasty bread.

For me, the advantages of Subway are that for a very economical price, I
get (1) excellent quality control all over the country, and (2) lots of
choices about what does in/on my sandwich, including a lot of low
saturated fat, low sodium ingredients to choose from if that's your
preference.

Your reaction is the one I have when passing chain hamburger joints -
all the chains. To me, the smell from all of them makes me nauseated.
But then again, I really don't like the smell or taste of ground beef.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 11/30/10 8:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
> sandwich shop?
>
> The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
> like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
> there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
> well with whatever else they got going on in there.
>
> I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
> in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
> be eating there anytime again soon.

Of course it stinks outside. Required pollution control equipment on the
ovens to reduce greenhouse gasses.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/1/2010 9:49 AM, Golden California Girls wrote:
> On 11/30/10 8:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
>> sandwich shop?
>>
>> The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
>> like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
>> there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
>> well with whatever else they got going on in there.
>>
>> I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
>> in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
>> be eating there anytime again soon.

> Of course it stinks outside. Required pollution control equipment on the
> ovens to reduce greenhouse gasses.

You've got me curious. According to what you say, the pollution control
equipment must be converting the flue exhaust to other chemicals (that
smell foul to some people) rather than absorbing the pollutants in the
flue exhaust (in which case there would be no odor). So, what chemicals
are coming out of the pollution control equipment that smell foul but
are not polluting?
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

> I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
> in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
> be eating there anytime again soon. *

Aside from a horrible experience I had (In Ohio, strangely enough --
Portsmouth) I've found most Subways to be pretty clean and
appetizing. Sure, the bread isn't all that but the meats and veggies
are OK. What do you want for a $5 foot long anyway? The Ohio subway
was truly execrable -- flies buzzing around, the veggies a mish mash,
water on the floor. the owner wasn't around but the sign indicated an
Indian name. I figured, why do the guy a favor by pointing all of
this out? If he's so uninvolved that he can't monitor his own biz, he
can lose his money.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Retirednoguilt" > wrote in message
> On 11/30/2010 11:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
> > sandwich shop?
> >
> > The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
> > like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
> > there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
> > well with whatever else they got going on in there.
> >
> > I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
> > in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
> > be eating there anytime again soon.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> To each his own. Personally, I usually don't smell anything foul when I
> either walk by or go into a Subway sandwich shop. I don't consider
> Subway to be a bakery, so I don't expect it to smell the way a bakery
> does. Bakeries generally smell yeasty and sweet. Not sure that when I
> want the type of sandwich I can get in Subway, I would want a sweet,
> yeasty bread.
>
> For me, the advantages of Subway are that for a very economical price, I
> get (1) excellent quality control all over the country, and (2) lots of
> choices about what does in/on my sandwich, including a lot of low
> saturated fat, low sodium ingredients to choose from if that's your
> preference.
>
> Your reaction is the one I have when passing chain hamburger joints -
> all the chains. To me, the smell from all of them makes me nauseated.
> But then again, I really don't like the smell or taste of ground beef.

The disadvantages of subway greatly or not as much as the advantaaages.. as
you have pointed out. The only bad thing about Subway is teh peaple that
work there, which can be extremely immature. But in terms of value, taste,
and, freshness, Subway is the best for a non-burger or taco place.

But I highly disagree with your opinion about chain-hamburger places,
personally I love hamburgers, so I love teh way hambuger restourant's smell.

Mayeb teh reason that they make you naseated is becasuse are you possible
allergic to beef? Almost all non-vegetarian people LOVE beef, which is the
reason I think there might be a extra health issue at play here.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/1/10 1:32 PM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 12/1/2010 9:49 AM, Golden California Girls wrote:
>> On 11/30/10 8:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
>>> sandwich shop?
>>>
>>> The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
>>> like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
>>> there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
>>> well with whatever else they got going on in there.
>>>
>>> I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
>>> in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
>>> be eating there anytime again soon.

>> Of course it stinks outside. Required pollution control equipment on the
>> ovens to reduce greenhouse gasses.

> You've got me curious. According to what you say, the pollution control
> equipment must be converting the flue exhaust to other chemicals (that
> smell foul to some people) rather than absorbing the pollutants in the flue
> exhaust (in which case there would be no odor). So, what chemicals are
> coming out of the pollution control equipment that smell foul but are not
> polluting?

Pollution is what the government requires smokestack tests for. Ususally
things like oxides of nitrogen, ozone, unburned hydrocarbons, or visible
carbon (soot). Since Subway now does eggs, there is a ready source of
sulfur. A incorrectly designed or operated after burner (pollution control
equipment) could easily pump out oxides of sulfur or hydrogen sulfide. Not
the best smells in the world. Of course this may have nothing to do with
his nose. Perhaps he has a reaction to some cleaning substance they use.

Since dozens of people aren't agreeing with him it may just be him or the
Subway he regularly encounters. I don't have an adverse reaction to them
and no one I know does either and they obviously do a good chunk of
business. No their bread doesn't smell like a good rye or sourdough, it
smells more like Wonder.

Now I have smelled a extremely foul baking smell, but not from a Subway but
from La Brea Bakery. They are next door to a Budweiser plant. One day the
wind picked up the beer smell and the baking smell, the combination was
nearly enough to make you retch. I suspect it was the particular beer
being brewed and the particular bread being baked as normally the two
together weren't a problem. A clash of yeasts.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:25:48 -0800, Golden California Girls wrote:

> On 12/1/10 1:32 PM, Retirednoguilt wrote:

>>> Of course it stinks outside. Required pollution control equipment on the
>>> ovens to reduce greenhouse gasses.

>> You've got me curious. According to what you say, the pollution control
>> equipment must be converting the flue exhaust to other chemicals (that
>> smell foul to some people) rather than absorbing the pollutants in the flue
>> exhaust (in which case there would be no odor). So, what chemicals are
>> coming out of the pollution control equipment that smell foul but are not
>> polluting?

> Pollution is what the government requires smokestack tests for. Ususally
> things like oxides of nitrogen, ozone, unburned hydrocarbons, or visible
> carbon (soot). Since Subway now does eggs, there is a ready source of
> sulfur. A incorrectly designed or operated after burner (pollution control
> equipment) could easily pump out oxides of sulfur or hydrogen sulfide. Not
> the best smells in the world. Of course this may have nothing to do with
> his nose. Perhaps he has a reaction to some cleaning substance they use.

Are you talking about my nose?

No, I just think they food they cook in there smells nasty. It's
the ingredients they use,not any sort of scrubbers or cleaning
agents. It's the store that stinks, not the exhaust.

Bread baking is not supposed to smell like that.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:25:48 -0800, Golden California Girls wrote:

>>> You've got me curious. According to what you say, the pollution
>>> control equipment must be converting the flue exhaust to other
>>> chemicals (that smell foul to some people) rather than absorbing
>>> the pollutants in the flue exhaust (in which case there would be no
>>> odor). So, what chemicals are coming out of the pollution control
>>> equipment that smell foul but are not polluting?

>> Pollution is what the government requires smokestack tests for.
>> Ususally things like oxides of nitrogen, ozone, unburned
>> hydrocarbons, or visible carbon (soot). Since Subway now does eggs,
>> there is a ready source of sulfur. A incorrectly designed or
>> operated after burner (pollution control equipment) could easily
>> pump out oxides of sulfur or hydrogen sulfide. Not the best smells
>> in the world. Of course this may have nothing to do with his nose.
>> Perhaps he has a reaction to some cleaning substance they use.

> Are you talking about my nose?
>
> No, I just think they food they cook in there smells nasty. It's
> the ingredients they use,not any sort of scrubbers or cleaning
> agents. It's the store that stinks, not the exhaust.
>
> Bread baking is not supposed to smell like that.

I agree. They have them inside Radiant / Marathon gas station / convenience
stores here sometimes. I wince when I walk into one.
I remember walking into one such store a long time ago and asking the girl
behind the non-Subway counter WTF that nasty smell was. She told me it was
the bread and she could hardly stand to work there since they put the Subway
in,.

For a killer sub here*, Publix can't be beat. Just a few dollars more for a
footlong, and the bread is toothy and natural tasting. No stench in or
around their stores either, and they bake a lot more bread daily than a
Subway.

*Tampa area, Florida
TFM®

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/1/2010 7:07 PM, Jerry Sauk wrote:

>> Your reaction is the one I have when passing chain hamburger joints -
>> all the chains. To me, the smell from all of them makes me nauseated.
>> But then again, I really don't like the smell or taste of ground beef.

> The disadvantages of subway greatly or not as much as the advantaaages.. as
> you have pointed out. The only bad thing about Subway is teh peaple that
> work there, which can be extremely immature. But in terms of value, taste,
> and, freshness, Subway is the best for a non-burger or taco place.
>
> But I highly disagree with your opinion about chain-hamburger places,
> personally I love hamburgers, so I love teh way hambuger restourant's smell.
>
> Mayeb teh reason that they make you naseated is becasuse are you possible
> allergic to beef? Almost all non-vegetarian people LOVE beef, which is the
> reason I think there might be a extra health issue at play here.

No, I'm definitely not allergic to beef. I'm a senior citizen and have
been eating beef almost all my life with no known allergic reactions. I
enjoy a good pot roast, all beef hot dog, or prime rib roast. They
smell and taste good to me. There's just something about the smell of
cooking ground beef (and steak) that seriously nauseates me. I suspect
that it is odor given off by the beef fat when it is subjected to high
temperatures (hot enough to generate all those carcinogens). My palate
enjoys chicken, fish, shellfish, octopus, squid, venison, antelope, pork
and even lamb far more than beef. I guess that there's no accounting
for taste.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
> sandwich shop?
>
> The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
> like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
> there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
> well with whatever else they got going on in there.
>
> I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
> in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
> be eating there anytime again soon.
>
> -sw

Steve, you already griped about this before. If your going to troll, at
least come up with something new.

Or, get back to work.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Retirednoguilt" > wrote in message
> On 12/1/2010 7:07 PM, Jerry Sauk wrote:
> >>
> >> Your reaction is the one I have when passing chain hamburger joints -
> >> all the chains. To me, the smell from all of them makes me nauseated.
> >> But then again, I really don't like the smell or taste of ground beef.

> > The disadvantages of subway greatly or not as much as the advantaaages..

as
> > you have pointed out. The only bad thing about Subway is teh peaple

that
> > work there, which can be extremely immature. But in terms of value,

taste,
> > and, freshness, Subway is the best for a non-burger or taco place.
> >
> > But I highly disagree with your opinion about chain-hamburger places,
> > personally I love hamburgers, so I love teh way hambuger restourant's

smell.

> > Mayeb teh reason that they make you naseated is becasuse are you

possible
> > allergic to beef? Almost all non-vegetarian people LOVE beef, which is

the
> > reason I think there might be a extra health issue at play here.
> >

> No, I'm definitely not allergic to beef. I'm a senior citizen and have
> been eating beef almost all my life with no known allergic reactions. I
> enjoy a good pot roast, all beef hot dog, or prime rib roast. They
> smell and taste good to me. There's just something about the smell of
> cooking ground beef (and steak) that seriously nauseates me. I suspect
> that it is odor given off by the beef fat when it is subjected to high
> temperatures (hot enough to generate all those carcinogens). My palate
> enjoys chicken, fish, shellfish, octopus, squid, venison, antelope, pork
> and even lamb far more than beef. I guess that there's no accounting
> for taste.

Most of those foods are not available at fast-food restourants. Excapt
maybe long-john silver's has a lot of the seafood items. Personally I would
never set foot in that store because I hate Fish, but, fo rpeople that like
it I'm sure it's a really good restourant.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:56:14 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

> Steve, you already griped about this before. If your going to troll, at
> least come up with something new.

I'll talk about whatever I want, whenever I want, and without
remorse. And I don't give a shit if it doesn't fit your plan for a
perfect fast food Usenet group.

This group is NOT about you anymore. We have taken back the group
and your are nothing but a skid-mark bearing pipsqueak to be
ignored.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:04:55 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

> "Retirednoguilt" > wrote in message
>
>> My palate
>> enjoys chicken, fish, shellfish, octopus, squid, venison, antelope, pork
>> and even lamb far more than beef. I guess that there's no accounting
>> for taste.

> Most of those foods are not available at fast-food restourants. Excapt
> maybe long-john silver's has a lot of the seafood items. Personally I would
> never set foot in that store because I hate Fish, but, fo rpeople that like
> it I'm sure it's a really good restourant.

LJS has the first two, and on back to the subject at hand, Kili and
TFM HATED the stench of Long John Silvers. I've been meaning to go
there ever since but that stench has driven me away.

I used to live near a LJS (within smelling distance at 1999
Channingway Court, 43232). Right near a Subway, matter of fact.

Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/2/2010 11:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:04:55 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> My palate
>>> enjoys chicken, fish, shellfish, octopus, squid, venison, antelope, pork
>>> and even lamb far more than beef. I guess that there's no accounting
>>> for taste.

>> Most of those foods are not available at fast-food restourants. Excapt
>> maybe long-john silver's has a lot of the seafood items. Personally I would
>> never set foot in that store because I hate Fish, but, fo rpeople that like
>> it I'm sure it's a really good restourant.

> LJS has the first two, and on back to the subject at hand, Kili and
> TFM HATED the stench of Long John Silvers. I've been meaning to go
> there ever since but that stench has driven me away.
>
> I used to live near a LJS (within smelling distance at 1999
> Channingway Court, 43232). Right near a Subway, matter of fact.
>
> Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.
>
> -sw

Sure; but when you are on the road , in an unfamiliar area, on a
schedule and hungry, and without reputable recommendations, how much
time do you want to spend researching local, single proprietor
restaurants to find a place that serves wholesome local food that
matches your palate, with prompt service and at an economical price?
For me, that scenario is the only time I patronize (a few) chain
restaurants. They do have a place, but for me, it is a limited one.

As far as fish is concerned, I've occasionally been served old, possibly
spoiling fish at highly regarded, quite expensive fish restaurants that
repelled me even before the waiter set the plate in front of me. I've
never become acutely ill after eating at a chain, although I won't vouch
for the possible long term effects on my blood pressure or arteries!

With fish almost more than with any other food, quality control is
essential. Some chains do it very well even though their preparations
are often loaded with salt and/or saturated fat. I tend to eat most of
my fish at home. I can see and smell what I am buying, and I am in
control of the recipe.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Jerry Sauk wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
>> sandwich shop?
>>
>> The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
>> like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
>> there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
>> well with whatever else they got going on in there.
>>
>> I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
>> in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
>> be eating there anytime again soon.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Steve, you already griped about this before. If your going to troll, at
> least come up with something new.
>
> Or, get back to work.

Pay attention. That is Sam. I haven't seen a post from Steve in ages.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Retirednoguilt wrote:

>> Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.
>>
>> -sw

> Sure; but when you are on the road , in an unfamiliar area, on a
> schedule and hungry, and without reputable recommendations, how much
> time do you want to spend researching local, single proprietor
> restaurants to find a place that serves wholesome local food that
> matches your palate, with prompt service and at an economical price?
> For me, that scenario is the only time I patronize (a few) chain
> restaurants. They do have a place, but for me, it is a limited one.
>
> As far as fish is concerned, I've occasionally been served old,
> possibly spoiling fish at highly regarded, quite expensive fish
> restaurants that repelled me even before the waiter set the plate in
> front of me. I've never become acutely ill after eating at a chain,
> although I won't vouch for the possible long term effects on my blood
> pressure or arteries!
>
> With fish almost more than with any other food, quality control is
> essential. Some chains do it very well even though their preparations
> are often loaded with salt and/or saturated fat. I tend to eat most
> of my fish at home. I can see and smell what I am buying, and I am in
> control of the recipe.

Ask the locals. You might end up in a place you would never try. I
used to travel a lot and found some great restaurants that way.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/3/2010 8:08 PM, L G wrote:
> Retirednoguilt wrote:
>>>
>>> Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Sure; but when you are on the road , in an unfamiliar area, on a
>> schedule and hungry, and without reputable recommendations, how much
>> time do you want to spend researching local, single proprietor
>> restaurants to find a place that serves wholesome local food that
>> matches your palate, with prompt service and at an economical price?
>> For me, that scenario is the only time I patronize (a few) chain
>> restaurants. They do have a place, but for me, it is a limited one.
>>
>> As far as fish is concerned, I've occasionally been served old,
>> possibly spoiling fish at highly regarded, quite expensive fish
>> restaurants that repelled me even before the waiter set the plate in
>> front of me. I've never become acutely ill after eating at a chain,
>> although I won't vouch for the possible long term effects on my blood
>> pressure or arteries!
>>
>> With fish almost more than with any other food, quality control is
>> essential. Some chains do it very well even though their preparations
>> are often loaded with salt and/or saturated fat. I tend to eat most of
>> my fish at home. I can see and smell what I am buying, and I am in
>> control of the recipe.

> Ask the locals. You might end up in a place you would never try. I used
> to travel a lot and found some great restaurants that way.

Very unlikely that in a remote area anyone is going to recommend
anything other than a national chain or their relative's place,
regardless of quality.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Retirednoguilt wrote:

>>> Sure; but when you are on the road , in an unfamiliar area, on a
>>> schedule and hungry, and without reputable recommendations, how much
>>> time do you want to spend researching local, single proprietor
>>> restaurants to find a place that serves wholesome local food that
>>> matches your palate, with prompt service and at an economical price?
>>> For me, that scenario is the only time I patronize (a few) chain
>>> restaurants. They do have a place, but for me, it is a limited one.
>>>
>>> As far as fish is concerned, I've occasionally been served old,
>>> possibly spoiling fish at highly regarded, quite expensive fish
>>> restaurants that repelled me even before the waiter set the plate in
>>> front of me. I've never become acutely ill after eating at a chain,
>>> although I won't vouch for the possible long term effects on my blood
>>> pressure or arteries!
>>>
>>> With fish almost more than with any other food, quality control is
>>> essential. Some chains do it very well even though their preparations
>>> are often loaded with salt and/or saturated fat. I tend to eat most of
>>> my fish at home. I can see and smell what I am buying, and I am in
>>> control of the recipe.

>> Ask the locals. You might end up in a place you would never try. I used
>> to travel a lot and found some great restaurants that way.

> Very unlikely that in a remote area anyone is going to recommend
> anything other than a national chain or their relative's place,
> regardless of quality.

I post from experience. Have you traveled much? Have you asked the
locals for a recommendation? I have many times without a bad experience.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.

Fast-food sells billions of dollars a year. A local food restourant is
lucky to get 1000 a day. Fast-food RULES teh food industry, whether you
want it to or not.

BTW WTF does "Lone live" mean.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:56:14 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:
>
> > Steve, you already griped about this before. If your going to troll, at
> > least come up with something new.

> I'll talk about whatever I want, whenever I want, and without
> remorse. And I don't give a shit if it doesn't fit your plan for a
> perfect fast food Usenet group.
>
> This group is NOT about you anymore. We have taken back the group
> and your are nothing but a skid-mark bearing pipsqueak to be
> ignored.
>
> -sw

DON'T YOU DARE TALK TO ME THAT WAY STEVE!!!!!!!! This group was NEVER about
me... It's about FAST-FOOD, and YOU helped keep keeping it off-topic by all
your pointless argueing and self-admitted trolling.

YOU are teh problem in this group, Every group you post in, you are hated.
If that's not proof enough, then I don't know what is. Not to mention that
all the time's where I had to leave the group for a short while, all you did
was start argueing with the other people here.

Just go back to ignoring me, but this time, JUST IGNORE ME. And know
this... I will be watching you VERY CLOSELY to all of your post's and,
keeping VERY CLOSE TRACK of what you post that is on-topic or off-topic. I
won't allow you to get away with anything.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"L G" > wrote in message
> Jerry Sauk wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> >> Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
> >> sandwich shop?
> >>
> >> The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
> >> like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
> >> there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
> >> well with whatever else they got going on in there.
> >>
> >> I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
> >> in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
> >> be eating there anytime again soon.
> >>
> >> -sw
> >>

> > Steve, you already griped about this before. If your going to troll, at
> > least come up with something new.
> >
> > Or, get back to work.
> >

> Pay attention. That is Sam. I haven't seen a post from Steve in ages.

Sam is steve's alias.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Retirednoguilt" > wrote in message

> >> Sure; but when you are on the road , in an unfamiliar area, on a
> >> schedule and hungry, and without reputable recommendations, how much
> >> time do you want to spend researching local, single proprietor
> >> restaurants to find a place that serves wholesome local food that
> >> matches your palate, with prompt service and at an economical price?
> >> For me, that scenario is the only time I patronize (a few) chain
> >> restaurants. They do have a place, but for me, it is a limited one.
> >>
> >> As far as fish is concerned, I've occasionally been served old,
> >> possibly spoiling fish at highly regarded, quite expensive fish
> >> restaurants that repelled me even before the waiter set the plate in
> >> front of me. I've never become acutely ill after eating at a chain,
> >> although I won't vouch for the possible long term effects on my blood
> >> pressure or arteries!
> >>
> >> With fish almost more than with any other food, quality control is
> >> essential. Some chains do it very well even though their preparations
> >> are often loaded with salt and/or saturated fat. I tend to eat most of
> >> my fish at home. I can see and smell what I am buying, and I am in
> >> control of the recipe.

> > Ask the locals. You might end up in a place you would never try. I used
> > to travel a lot and found some great restaurants that way.

> Very unlikely that in a remote area anyone is going to recommend
> anything other than a national chain or their relative's place,
> regardless of quality.

I agree 100% percent. If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger where
is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and say,
hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh highway
and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:02:44 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

> If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger where
> is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and say,
> hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh highway
> and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?

I notice you always lean towards the Male. Why couldn't this
"stranger" have been a 'she' that you asked for a recommendation?

You started out gender neutral but then gravitated towards the Male
in your fictitious scenario. Just as you do in your subconscious
dreams and fantasies.

You know this proves you're TOTALLY ***, Jerry, don't you?

What if she offered you a free taco right there on the spot?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 22:39:52 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

> BTW WTF does "Lone live" mean.

It's the sub-title of "Book of Saukrates 2".

-sw

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Jerry Sauk" > wrote in message
m...

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:56:14 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:
>>
>> > Steve, you already griped about this before. If your going to troll,
>> > at
>> > least come up with something new.

>> I'll talk about whatever I want, whenever I want, and without
>> remorse. And I don't give a shit if it doesn't fit your plan for a
>> perfect fast food Usenet group.
>>
>> This group is NOT about you anymore. We have taken back the group
>> and your are nothing but a skid-mark bearing pipsqueak to be
>> ignored.
>>
>> -sw

> DON'T YOU DARE TALK TO ME THAT WAY STEVE!!!!!!!! This group was NEVER
> about
> me... It's about FAST-FOOD, and YOU helped keep keeping it off-topic by
> all
> your pointless argueing and self-admitted trolling.
>
> YOU are teh problem in this group, Every group you post in, you are hated.
> If that's not proof enough, then I don't know what is. Not to mention
> that
> all the time's where I had to leave the group for a short while, all you
> did
> was start argueing with the other people here.
>
> Just go back to ignoring me, but this time, JUST IGNORE ME. And know
> this... I will be watching you VERY CLOSELY to all of your post's and,
> keeping VERY CLOSE TRACK of what you post that is on-topic or off-topic.
> won't allow you to get away with anything.

Go **** yourself, jerry. Your post is many multiple times OFF TOPIC. You
never post anything ON topic. All you do is start ARGUMENTS with other
people, just like with this POST.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 22:59:55 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

> DON'T YOU DARE TALK TO ME THAT WAY STEVE!!!!!!!!

Aww, how cute! Pssst: I'll talk to you anyway I want!

> Just go back to ignoring me, but this time, JUST IGNORE ME. And know
> this... I will be watching you VERY CLOSELY to all of your post's and,
> keeping VERY CLOSE TRACK of what you post that is on-topic or off-topic. I
> won't allow you to get away with anything.

You'll take whatever I give you, bend over, and ask for more.

To save yourself even more embarrassment, (as if moving back into
your mommy's basement isn't embarrassing enough), now would be a
good time to check out those other fast food groups we pointed you
to a couple years ago.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Jerry Sauk wrote:
> > wrote in message
>

>> Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.
>>

> Fast-food sells billions of dollars a year. A local food restourant is
> lucky to get 1000 a day. Fast-food RULES teh food industry, whether you
> want it to or not.
>
> BTW WTF does "Lone live" mean.

WTF is a "restourant" and what does "teh" mean? There are local,
non-chain, restaurants that have sales of over $1000 per HOUR, numb nuts.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Jerry Sauk wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:56:14 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:
>>

>>> Steve, you already griped about this before. If your going to troll, at
>>> least come up with something new.
>>>

>> I'll talk about whatever I want, whenever I want, and without
>> remorse. And I don't give a shit if it doesn't fit your plan for a
>> perfect fast food Usenet group.
>>
>> This group is NOT about you anymore. We have taken back the group
>> and your are nothing but a skid-mark bearing pipsqueak to be
>> ignored.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> DON'T YOU DARE TALK TO ME THAT WAY STEVE!!!!!!!! This group was NEVER about
> me... It's about FAST-FOOD, and YOU helped keep keeping it off-topic by all
> your pointless argueing and self-admitted trolling.
>
> YOU are teh problem in this group, Every group you post in, you are hated.
> If that's not proof enough, then I don't know what is. Not to mention that
> all the time's where I had to leave the group for a short while, all you did
> was start argueing with the other people here.
>
> Just go back to ignoring me, but this time, JUST IGNORE ME. And know
> this... I will be watching you VERY CLOSELY to all of your post's and,
> keeping VERY CLOSE TRACK of what you post that is on-topic or off-topic. I
> won't allow you to get away with anything.

Those Packers aren't looking too good this year, eh? Go Bears!
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Jerry Sauk wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> Ask the locals. You might end up in a place you would never try. I used
>>> to travel a lot and found some great restaurants that way.
>>>

>> Very unlikely that in a remote area anyone is going to recommend
>> anything other than a national chain or their relative's place,
>> regardless of quality.
>>

> I agree 100% percent. If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger where
> is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and say,
> hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh highway
> and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?

That would never happen.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/4/2010 7:47 PM, L G wrote:
> Retirednoguilt wrote:

>>> Ask the locals. You might end up in a place you would never try. I used
>>> to travel a lot and found some great restaurants that way.

>> Very unlikely that in a remote area anyone is going to recommend
>> anything other than a national chain or their relative's place,
>> regardless of quality.

> I post from experience. Have you traveled much? Have you asked the
> locals for a recommendation? I have many times without a bad experience.

Let's see, 30 years in the military, 2-5 trips/year since 1982 either to
visit relatives or for vacation. Been to different parts of Canada 6-8
times, Central America, South America, USSR (when it still was the
USSR), Russia, all of Scandinavia, all of western and most of eastern
Europe too many times to keep count of, Japan twice, Iceland a few
times, and a good many trips to places I could tell you about but then
would have to kill you. You decide - have I traveled much?

Have I asked locals for recommendations? In this country, all I ever
seem to get for recommendations in the more rural areas is Pizza Hut,
Burger King, Taco Bell, Olive Garden, and their competitors. When I'm
going to suburban/urban areas, I do my own restaurant research on the
web before I leave home because I really enjoy eating good food and when
I'm traveling, I hate to eat at a chain that has a branch within 10
miles of my house at home!

Local recommendation on the road are as tricky as they are at home.
Some of my neighbors think that the national chains are some of the best
restaurants you can find. You know, if you travel to my neighborhood
and ask my neighbors for their recommendations, you will be asking the
"locals" here. What makes the "locals" elsewhere more aware of my
tastes and criteria for good food than the "locals" on my street?
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/5/2010 7:11 PM, L G wrote:
> Jerry Sauk wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Very unlikely that in a remote area anyone is going to recommend
>>> anything other than a national chain or their relative's place,
>>> regardless of quality.

>> I agree 100% percent. If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger
>> where
>> is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and say,
>> hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh
>> highway
>> and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?
>>

> That would never happen.

\

Obviously, YOU have never traveled much!!
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:22:48 -0500, Retirednoguilt wrote:

> Have I asked locals for recommendations? In this country, all I ever
> seem to get for recommendations in the more rural areas is Pizza Hut,
> Burger King, Taco Bell, Olive Garden, and their competitors.

You're not asking right. Use the words "non-chain" or "mom and
pop".

For some people, those are their favorite restaurants.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:02:44 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:
>
> > If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger where
> > is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and

say,
> > hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh

highway
> > and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?

> I notice you always lean towards the Male. Why couldn't this
> "stranger" have been a 'she' that you asked for a recommendation?
>
> You started out gender neutral but then gravitated towards the Male
> in your fictitious scenario. Just as you do in your subconscious
> dreams and fantasies.
>
> You know this proves you're TOTALLY ***, Jerry, don't you?
>
> What if she offered you a free taco right there on the spot?
>
> -sw

NO it's not because I'm *** at all. I just used "he" for an example
because, you have to use SOMETHING, and women can't go anywhere without
getting lost anyway so "he' is the best choice.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Retirednoguilt wrote:

>>> I agree 100% percent. If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger
>>> where
>>> is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and
>>> say,
>>> hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh
>>> highway
>>> and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?
>>>

>> That would never happen.

> \
>
> Obviously, YOU have never traveled much!!

Plenty, Jerry's Dad. And never got a fast food joint as a suggestion
for a good local restaurant.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Jerry Sauk wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:02:44 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:
>>

>>> If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger where
>>> is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and
>>>

> say,
>
>>> hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh
>>>

> highway
>
>>> and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?
>>>

>> I notice you always lean towards the Male. Why couldn't this
>> "stranger" have been a 'she' that you asked for a recommendation?
>>
>> You started out gender neutral but then gravitated towards the Male
>> in your fictitious scenario. Just as you do in your subconscious
>> dreams and fantasies.
>>
>> You know this proves you're TOTALLY ***, Jerry, don't you?
>>
>> What if she offered you a free taco right there on the spot?
>>
>> -sw
>>

> NO it's not because I'm *** at all. I just used "he" for an example
> because, you have to use SOMETHING, and women can't go anywhere without
> getting lost anyway so "he' is the best choice.

My wife called me for directions the other day and she has a GPS. She
preferred to get my route since I am familiar with the area she was
traveling.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Jerry Sauk" > wrote in message
m...

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:02:44 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:
>>
>> > If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger where
>> > is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and

> say,
>> > hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh

> highway
>> > and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?

>> I notice you always lean towards the Male. Why couldn't this
>> "stranger" have been a 'she' that you asked for a recommendation?
>>
>> You started out gender neutral but then gravitated towards the Male
>> in your fictitious scenario. Just as you do in your subconscious
>> dreams and fantasies.
>>
>> You know this proves you're TOTALLY ***, Jerry, don't you?
>>
>> What if she offered you a free taco right there on the spot?
>>
>> -sw

> NO it's not because I'm *** at all. I just used "he" for an example
> because, you have to use SOMETHING, so "he' is the best choice.

Translation Jerry just came out of the closet!

Robert

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:55:11 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>> You know this proves you're TOTALLY ***, Jerry, don't you?

> "he' is the best choice.

You couldn't have admitted it any better. That Mike guy must have
popped your cherry. You don't seem to have lightened up any after
finally getting laid.

Try the *** biker bars. They should be able to satiate those 18
years of pent up sexual frustration you've been carrying around

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Dec 1, 4:30*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
> sandwich shop?
>
> The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. *It doesn't even smell
> like real bread. *And I don't know what else they got going on in
> there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
> well with whatever else they got going on in there.
>
> I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
> in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
> be eating there anytime again soon. *
>
> -sw

I admire your restraint. Last week I was at Subway and had a foot
long cold cut combo. I asked for very little mustard. She gave me a
whole gob of the stuff at the one end, and very little for the rest of
the sandwich. Which is what I wanted for the Whole Sandwich!. Then
instead of cutting it in half, she cut it into a 1/3 and 2/3
partition. All I ask is that I get a sub cut in half. It doesn't
have to be within 1/64 of an inch, but it should be recognizable as
being pretty much cut in the middle. This does not take much skill.
It takes care in doing your work properly.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 08:39:01 -0800 (PST), SpaghettiWestern wrote:

> I admire your restraint. Last week I was at Subway and had a foot
> long cold cut combo. I asked for very little mustard. She gave me a
> whole gob of the stuff at the one end, and very little for the rest of
> the sandwich. Which is what I wanted for the Whole Sandwich!. Then
> instead of cutting it in half, she cut it into a 1/3 and 2/3
> partition. All I ask is that I get a sub cut in half. It doesn't
> have to be within 1/64 of an inch, but it should be recognizable as
> being pretty much cut in the middle. This does not take much skill.
> It takes care in doing your work properly.

The horrors <yawn>

-sw