Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Default The Stench of Subway

Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
sandwich shop?

The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
well with whatever else they got going on in there.

I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
be eating there anytime again soon.

-sw

Old 01-12-2010, 02:20 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 11/30/2010 11:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
sandwich shop?

The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
well with whatever else they got going on in there.

I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
be eating there anytime again soon.

-sw

To each his own. Personally, I usually don't smell anything foul when I
either walk by or go into a Subway sandwich shop. I don't consider
Subway to be a bakery, so I don't expect it to smell the way a bakery
does. Bakeries generally smell yeasty and sweet. Not sure that when I
want the type of sandwich I can get in Subway, I would want a sweet,
yeasty bread.

For me, the advantages of Subway are that for a very economical price, I
get (1) excellent quality control all over the country, and (2) lots of
choices about what does in/on my sandwich, including a lot of low
saturated fat, low sodium ingredients to choose from if that's your
preference.

Your reaction is the one I have when passing chain hamburger joints -
all the chains. To me, the smell from all of them makes me nauseated.
But then again, I really don't like the smell or taste of ground beef.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 11/30/10 8:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
sandwich shop?

The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
well with whatever else they got going on in there.

I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
be eating there anytime again soon.

Of course it stinks outside. Required pollution control equipment on the
ovens to reduce greenhouse gasses.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/1/2010 9:49 AM, Golden California Girls wrote:
On 11/30/10 8:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
sandwich shop?

The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
well with whatever else they got going on in there.

I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
be eating there anytime again soon.

Of course it stinks outside. Required pollution control equipment on the
ovens to reduce greenhouse gasses.

You've got me curious. According to what you say, the pollution control
equipment must be converting the flue exhaust to other chemicals (that
smell foul to some people) rather than absorbing the pollutants in the
flue exhaust (in which case there would be no odor). So, what chemicals
are coming out of the pollution control equipment that smell foul but
are not polluting?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
be eating there anytime again soon. *

Aside from a horrible experience I had (In Ohio, strangely enough --
Portsmouth) I've found most Subways to be pretty clean and
appetizing. Sure, the bread isn't all that but the meats and veggies
are OK. What do you want for a $5 foot long anyway? The Ohio subway
was truly execrable -- flies buzzing around, the veggies a mish mash,
water on the floor. the owner wasn't around but the sign indicated an
Indian name. I figured, why do the guy a favor by pointing all of
this out? If he's so uninvolved that he can't monitor his own biz, he
can lose his money.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Retirednoguilt" wrote in message
[...]

The disadvantages of subway greatly or not as much as the advantaaages.. as
you have pointed out. The only bad thing about Subway is teh peaple that
work there, which can be extremely immature. But in terms of value, taste,
and, freshness, Subway is the best for a non-burger or taco place.

But I highly disagree with your opinion about chain-hamburger places,
personally I love hamburgers, so I love teh way hambuger restourant's smell.

Mayeb teh reason that they make you naseated is becasuse are you possible
allergic to beef? Almost all non-vegetarian people LOVE beef, which is the
reason I think there might be a extra health issue at play here.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:25 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/1/10 1:32 PM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
[...]

Pollution is what the government requires smokestack tests for. Ususally
things like oxides of nitrogen, ozone, unburned hydrocarbons, or visible
carbon (soot). Since Subway now does eggs, there is a ready source of
sulfur. A incorrectly designed or operated after burner (pollution control
equipment) could easily pump out oxides of sulfur or hydrogen sulfide. Not
the best smells in the world. Of course this may have nothing to do with
his nose. Perhaps he has a reaction to some cleaning substance they use.

Since dozens of people aren't agreeing with him it may just be him or the
Subway he regularly encounters. I don't have an adverse reaction to them
and no one I know does either and they obviously do a good chunk of
business. No their bread doesn't smell like a good rye or sourdough, it
smells more like Wonder.

Now I have smelled a extremely foul baking smell, but not from a Subway but
from La Brea Bakery. They are next door to a Budweiser plant. One day the
wind picked up the beer smell and the baking smell, the combination was
nearly enough to make you retch. I suspect it was the particular beer
being brewed and the particular bread being baked as normally the two
together weren't a problem. A clash of yeasts.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:25 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:25:48 -0800, Golden California Girls wrote:

[...]

Are you talking about my nose?

No, I just think they food they cook in there smells nasty. It's
the ingredients they use,not any sort of scrubbers or cleaning
agents. It's the store that stinks, not the exhaust.

Bread baking is not supposed to smell like that.

-sw
Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Sqwertz wrote:
[...]

I agree. They have them inside Radiant / Marathon gas station / convenience
stores here sometimes. I wince when I walk into one.
I remember walking into one such store a long time ago and asking the girl
behind the non-Subway counter WTF that nasty smell was. She told me it was
the bread and she could hardly stand to work there since they put the Subway
in,.

For a killer sub here*, Publix can't be beat. Just a few dollars more for a
footlong, and the bread is toothy and natural tasting. No stench in or
around their stores either, and they bake a lot more bread daily than a
Subway.

*Tampa area, Florida
TFM®

Old 02-12-2010, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/1/2010 7:07 PM, Jerry Sauk wrote:

Your reaction is the one I have when passing chain hamburger joints -
all the chains. To me, the smell from all of them makes me nauseated.
But then again, I really don't like the smell or taste of ground beef.

The disadvantages of subway greatly or not as much as the advantaaages.. as
you have pointed out. The only bad thing about Subway is teh peaple that
work there, which can be extremely immature. But in terms of value, taste,
and, freshness, Subway is the best for a non-burger or taco place.

But I highly disagree with your opinion about chain-hamburger places,
personally I love hamburgers, so I love teh way hambuger restourant's smell.

Mayeb teh reason that they make you naseated is becasuse are you possible
allergic to beef? Almost all non-vegetarian people LOVE beef, which is the
reason I think there might be a extra health issue at play here.

No, I'm definitely not allergic to beef. I'm a senior citizen and have
been eating beef almost all my life with no known allergic reactions. I
enjoy a good pot roast, all beef hot dog, or prime rib roast. They
smell and taste good to me. There's just something about the smell of
cooking ground beef (and steak) that seriously nauseates me. I suspect
that it is odor given off by the beef fat when it is subjected to high
temperatures (hot enough to generate all those carcinogens). My palate
enjoys chicken, fish, shellfish, octopus, squid, venison, antelope, pork
and even lamb far more than beef. I guess that there's no accounting
for taste.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
sandwich shop?

The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. It doesn't even smell
like real bread. And I don't know what else they got going on in
there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
well with whatever else they got going on in there.

I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
be eating there anytime again soon.

-sw

Steve, you already griped about this before. If your going to troll, at
least come up with something new.

Or, get back to work.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:04 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

[...]

Most of those foods are not available at fast-food restourants. Excapt
maybe long-john silver's has a lot of the seafood items. Personally I would
never set foot in that store because I hate Fish, but, fo rpeople that like
it I'm sure it's a really good restourant.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:56:14 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

Steve, you already griped about this before. If your going to troll, at
least come up with something new.

I'll talk about whatever I want, whenever I want, and without
remorse. And I don't give a shit if it doesn't fit your plan for a
perfect fast food Usenet group.

This group is NOT about you anymore. We have taken back the group
and your are nothing but a skid-mark bearing pipsqueak to be
ignored.

-sw
Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:04:55 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

"Retirednoguilt" wrote in message

My palate
enjoys chicken, fish, shellfish, octopus, squid, venison, antelope, pork
and even lamb far more than beef. I guess that there's no accounting
for taste.

Most of those foods are not available at fast-food restourants. Excapt
maybe long-john silver's has a lot of the seafood items. Personally I would
never set foot in that store because I hate Fish, but, fo rpeople that like
it I'm sure it's a really good restourant.

LJS has the first two, and on back to the subject at hand, Kili and
TFM HATED the stench of Long John Silvers. I've been meaning to go
there ever since but that stench has driven me away.

I used to live near a LJS (within smelling distance at 1999
Channingway Court, 43232). Right near a Subway, matter of fact.

Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.

-sw
Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

wrote in message

My palate
enjoys chicken, fish, shellfish, octopus, squid, venison, antelope, pork
and even lamb far more than beef. I guess that there's no accounting
for taste.

Most of those foods are not available at fast-food restourants. Excapt
maybe long-john silver's has a lot of the seafood items. Personally I would
never set foot in that store because I hate Fish, but, fo rpeople that like
it I'm sure it's a really good restourant.

LJS has the first two, and on back to the subject at hand, Kili and
TFM HATED the stench of Long John Silvers. I've been meaning to go
there ever since but that stench has driven me away.

I used to live near a LJS (within smelling distance at 1999
Channingway Court, 43232). Right near a Subway, matter of fact.

Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.

-sw

Sure; but when you are on the road , in an unfamiliar area, on a
schedule and hungry, and without reputable recommendations, how much
time do you want to spend researching local, single proprietor
restaurants to find a place that serves wholesome local food that
matches your palate, with prompt service and at an economical price?
For me, that scenario is the only time I patronize (a few) chain
restaurants. They do have a place, but for me, it is a limited one.

As far as fish is concerned, I've occasionally been served old, possibly
spoiling fish at highly regarded, quite expensive fish restaurants that
repelled me even before the waiter set the plate in front of me. I've
never become acutely ill after eating at a chain, although I won't vouch
for the possible long term effects on my blood pressure or arteries!

With fish almost more than with any other food, quality control is
essential. Some chains do it very well even though their preparations
are often loaded with salt and/or saturated fat. I tend to eat most of
my fish at home. I can see and smell what I am buying, and I am in
control of the recipe.