Old 06-12-2010, 05:22 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Default The Stench of Subway

On 12/4/2010 7:47 PM, L G wrote:
Retirednoguilt wrote:
On 12/3/2010 8:08 PM, L G wrote:
Retirednoguilt wrote:

Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.

-sw

Sure; but when you are on the road , in an unfamiliar area, on a
schedule and hungry, and without reputable recommendations, how much
time do you want to spend researching local, single proprietor
restaurants to find a place that serves wholesome local food that
matches your palate, with prompt service and at an economical price?
For me, that scenario is the only time I patronize (a few) chain
restaurants. They do have a place, but for me, it is a limited one.

As far as fish is concerned, I've occasionally been served old,
possibly spoiling fish at highly regarded, quite expensive fish
restaurants that repelled me even before the waiter set the plate in
front of me. I've never become acutely ill after eating at a chain,
although I won't vouch for the possible long term effects on my blood
pressure or arteries!

With fish almost more than with any other food, quality control is
essential. Some chains do it very well even though their preparations
are often loaded with salt and/or saturated fat. I tend to eat most of
my fish at home. I can see and smell what I am buying, and I am in
control of the recipe.
Ask the locals. You might end up in a place you would never try. I used
to travel a lot and found some great restaurants that way.

Very unlikely that in a remote area anyone is going to recommend
anything other than a national chain or their relative's place,
regardless of quality.

I post from experience. Have you traveled much? Have you asked the
locals for a recommendation? I have many times without a bad experience.

Let's see, 30 years in the military, 2-5 trips/year since 1982 either to
visit relatives or for vacation. Been to different parts of Canada 6-8
times, Central America, South America, USSR (when it still was the
USSR), Russia, all of Scandinavia, all of western and most of eastern
Europe too many times to keep count of, Japan twice, Iceland a few
times, and a good many trips to places I could tell you about but then
would have to kill you. You decide - have I traveled much?

Have I asked locals for recommendations? In this country, all I ever
seem to get for recommendations in the more rural areas is Pizza Hut,
Burger King, Taco Bell, Olive Garden, and their competitors. When I'm
going to suburban/urban areas, I do my own restaurant research on the
web before I leave home because I really enjoy eating good food and when
I'm traveling, I hate to eat at a chain that has a branch within 10
miles of my house at home!

Local recommendation on the road are as tricky as they are at home.
Some of my neighbors think that the national chains are some of the best
restaurants you can find. You know, if you travel to my neighborhood
and ask my neighbors for their recommendations, you will be asking the
"locals" here. What makes the "locals" elsewhere more aware of my
tastes and criteria for good food than the "locals" on my street?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/5/2010 7:11 PM, L G wrote:
Jerry Sauk wrote:
wrote in message
On 12/3/2010 8:08 PM, L G wrote:
Retirednoguilt wrote:
[...]

I agree 100% percent. If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger
where
is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and say,
hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh
highway
and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?

That would never happen.

\

Obviously, YOU have never traveled much!!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:22:48 -0500, Retirednoguilt wrote:

Have I asked locals for recommendations? In this country, all I ever
seem to get for recommendations in the more rural areas is Pizza Hut,
Burger King, Taco Bell, Olive Garden, and their competitors.

You're not asking right. Use the words "non-chain" or "mom and
pop".

For some people, those are their favorite restaurants.

-sw
Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:02:44 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

If you go intoa strange town and ask a stranger where
is a good place to eat, he would probably look at you real funny and

say,
hey shit-for-brains didn't you see all the mcdonald's signs on teh

highway
and, and the great big huge mcdonald's arch's right by the exit-ramp?

I notice you always lean towards the Male. Why couldn't this
"stranger" have been a 'she' that you asked for a recommendation?

You started out gender neutral but then gravitated towards the Male
in your fictitious scenario. Just as you do in your subconscious
dreams and fantasies.

You know this proves you're TOTALLY ***, Jerry, don't you?

What if she offered you a free taco right there on the spot?

-sw

NO it's not because I'm *** at all. I just used "he" for an example
because, you have to use SOMETHING, and women can't go anywhere without
getting lost anyway so "he' is the best choice.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:18 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Retirednoguilt wrote:
On 12/5/2010 7:11 PM, L G wrote:
Jerry Sauk wrote:
wrote in message
On 12/3/2010 8:08 PM, L G wrote:
Retirednoguilt wrote:
[...]

Plenty, Jerry's Dad. And never got a fast food joint as a suggestion
for a good local restaurant.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

Jerry Sauk wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

My wife called me for directions the other day and she has a GPS. She
preferred to get my route since I am familiar with the area she was
traveling.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

"Jerry Sauk" wrote in message
m...

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

because, you have to use SOMETHING, so "he' is the best choice.

Translation Jerry just came out of the closet!

Robert

Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:55:11 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message

You know this proves you're TOTALLY ***, Jerry, don't you?

"he' is the best choice.

You couldn't have admitted it any better. That Mike guy must have
popped your cherry. You don't seem to have lightened up any after
finally getting laid.

Try the *** biker bars. They should be able to satiate those 18
years of pent up sexual frustration you've been carrying around

-sw
Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Dec 1, 4:30*am, Sqwertz wrote:
Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
sandwich shop?

The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. *It doesn't even smell
like real bread. *And I don't know what else they got going on in
there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
well with whatever else they got going on in there.

I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
be eating there anytime again soon. *

-sw

I admire your restraint. Last week I was at Subway and had a foot
long cold cut combo. I asked for very little mustard. She gave me a
whole gob of the stuff at the one end, and very little for the rest of
the sandwich. Which is what I wanted for the Whole Sandwich!. Then
instead of cutting it in half, she cut it into a 1/3 and 2/3
partition. All I ask is that I get a sub cut in half. It doesn't
have to be within 1/64 of an inch, but it should be recognizable as
being pretty much cut in the middle. This does not take much skill.
It takes care in doing your work properly.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On 12/7/10 8:39 AM, SpaghettiWestern wrote:
I admire your restraint. Last week I was at Subway and had a foot
long cold cut combo. I asked for very little mustard. She gave me a
whole gob of the stuff at the one end, and very little for the rest of
the sandwich. Which is what I wanted for the Whole Sandwich!. Then
instead of cutting it in half, she cut it into a 1/3 and 2/3
partition. All I ask is that I get a sub cut in half. It doesn't
have to be within 1/64 of an inch, but it should be recognizable as
being pretty much cut in the middle. This does not take much skill.
It takes care in doing your work properly.

Did they cut the U in the bread correctly. That is the only thing which
corporate has a Q&A test for!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:19 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food

On Dec 1, 4:30*am, Sqwertz wrote:
Does anybody else cringe when they walk or drive by a Subway
sandwich shop?

The bread does NOT smell appetizing at all. *It doesn't even smell
like real bread. *And I don't know what else they got going on in
there during various hot sandwich promotions but it doesn't mix
well with whatever else they got going on in there.

I haven't eaten at Subway since Channingway Court in Columbus, Ohio
in 1997 and the stench coming from these places guarantees I won't
be eating there anytime again soon. *

-sw

What I find objectionable about Subway is the quality of their cold
cuts. I eat there once in a while, but that's only when I've not got
much of an alternative. I always get the $5 cold cut combo. I had
roast beef once, and there was hardly any roast beef on the sub. At
least the cold cut combo has some cold cuts on it. If I want a decent
sub, I purchase German cold cuts at the market along with Italian
rolls. Now that's jumpin.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Member

Aside from a horrible experience I had (In Ohio, strangely enough --
Portsmouth) I've found most Subways to be pretty clean and
appetizing. Sure, the bread isn't all that but the meats and veggies
are OK. What do you want for a $5 foot long anyway? The Ohio subway
was truly execrable -- flies buzzing around, the veggies a mish mash,
water on the floor. the owner wasn't around but the sign indicated an
Indian name. I figured, why do the guy a favor by pointing all of
this out? If he's so uninvolved that he can't monitor his own biz, he
can lose his money.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:23 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants

On 1/2/2011 4:14 AM, Eartha wrote:
Aside from a horrible experience I had (In Ohio, strangely enough --
Portsmouth) I've found most Subways to be pretty clean and
appetizing. Sure, the bread isn't all that but the meats and veggies
are OK. What do you want for a $5 foot long anyway? The Ohio subway
was truly execrable -- flies buzzing around, the veggies a mish mash,
water on the floor. the owner wasn't around but the sign indicated an
Indian name. I figured, why do the guy a favor by pointing all of
this out? If he's so uninvolved that he can't monitor his own biz, he
can lose his money.

If I had that experience at a Subway, I'll file a complaint with
headquarters. I suspect that they are very careful about who they
franchise and don't want that kind of store damaging their reputation.
I'll bet that they would send an inspector very soon to check that store.