Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Default Is this a legitimate beef?

This is something that concerns both restaurant management and
relationships. I’ve already run it by a relationship discussion group,
so now I thought I’d see what a restaurant management discussion group
has to say.

I had been going to a particular bar/restaurant for about three years,
and thought I had established a rapport with some of the women who
worked there. Several says ago, I was told by the owner to leave and
never come back. Ironically, the incident that got me ousted was an
attempt at apologizing to someone for something. I got this woman a
card and a gift certificate and wrote a note of apology in the card.
When I gave it to her, she kept saying, “It’s alright, it’s alright.”
So I went and sat down at the bar and ordered a drink.

Next thing I know, the owner is shoving the opened card back in my
face and saying, “Listen, you’re making all of my girls uncomfortable,
Now I want you to take this back, I want you to leave right now, and I
don’t want you to come back.”

Well, okay, maybe I was getting out of line and he has the right to
decide who gets to play in his sandbox, but I’m upset with the women
for not telling me how they felt, and I’m upset with the woman who
wouldn’t accept my gesture of apology in the spirit it was intended.
I’m especially upset because one of the things I said in the note was
that she had a right to be angry. I even gave her my email address so
that she could express her feelings outside of work. There’s also a
second woman I’m upset with because I had become quite find of her,
and I had told her that she should feel free to tell me if she had a
problem with me, and she actually said, “I understand that.” I’m
assuming that second woman also went crying to the owner at some
point, since he said “all my girls.”

Now everyone I’ve asked about this is unanimous in saying that my
assertion that the women should have talked to me directly is
untenable, but I still feel hurt and betrayed. They all smiled in my
face and told me “It’s alright,” and “I understand,” and then went and
told The Man I was upsetting them.

So what do the restaurant management people have to say?
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

MisterHyde wrote:
> So what do the restaurant management people have to say?

Stop being a f'ing stalker! They only talk to you because you look like an ATM
to them. Understand?!!

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 09:01:54 -0700 (PDT), MisterHyde wrote:

> So what do the restaurant management people have to say?

You should have stopped drinking 4 years ago. Why did you ever
start up again, you stupid dolt? You just make a complete idiot of
yourself every time you drink.

The only reason they put up with you for so long is because you have
to potential to tip. Rest assured that they joke about you in the
back-rooms and outside the back door (hopefully it's fenced in, for
their sake).

You need to find a bar on the other side of town or just stay home.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants
Ian Ian is offline

MisterHyde wrote:
> This is something that concerns both restaurant management and
> relationships. I’ve already run it by a relationship discussion group,
> so now I thought I’d see what a restaurant management discussion group
> has to say.
>
> I had been going to a particular bar/restaurant for about three years,
> and thought I had established a rapport with some of the women who
> worked there. Several says ago, I was told by the owner to leave and
> never come back. Ironically, the incident that got me ousted was an
> attempt at apologizing to someone for something. I got this woman a
> card and a gift certificate and wrote a note of apology in the card.
> When I gave it to her, she kept saying, “It’s alright, it’s alright.”
> So I went and sat down at the bar and ordered a drink.
>
> Next thing I know, the owner is shoving the opened card back in my
> face and saying, “Listen, you’re making all of my girls uncomfortable,
> Now I want you to take this back, I want you to leave right now, and I
> don’t want you to come back.”
>
> Well, okay, maybe I was getting out of line and he has the right to
> decide who gets to play in his sandbox, but I’m upset with the women
> for not telling me how they felt, and I’m upset with the woman who
> wouldn’t accept my gesture of apology in the spirit it was intended.
> I’m especially upset because one of the things I said in the note was
> that she had a right to be angry. I even gave her my email address so
> that she could express her feelings outside of work. There’s also a
> second woman I’m upset with because I had become quite find of her,
> and I had told her that she should feel free to tell me if she had a
> problem with me, and she actually said, “I understand that.” I’m
> assuming that second woman also went crying to the owner at some
> point, since he said “all my girls.”
>
> Now everyone I’ve asked about this is unanimous in saying that my
> assertion that the women should have talked to me directly is
> untenable, but I still feel hurt and betrayed. They all smiled in my
> face and told me “It’s alright,” and “I understand,” and then went and
> told The Man I was upsetting them.
>
> So what do the restaurant management people have to say?

Why do you expect employees in a hospitality industry to relate to you
as if you are all equal, and all equally free to express yourselves?
They have a JOB to do, and to hold onto, and undoubtedly mouths at home
to feed. They represent the business when they engage with you, and
expecting real human interaction with a corporation is plain dumb.

The only correct way to deal with them is professionally - be
corporately correct & pleasant with them. If you are looking for
friends, stop expecting paid staff to provide it.

Ian