Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Default Culinary Oases

So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the country, but you
suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or
worse.

Example 1: The Inn at Little Washington, in Washington, West Virginia.

Example 2: Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.

Example 3: Taste Restaurant, in Plymouth, California.

Example 4: El Bulli, in Roses, Catalonia.

I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them. Can
anybody add to the list?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

..

> I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them. Can
> anybody add to the list?
>
> Bob

Babita Mexican restaurant in San Gabriel, CA
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants
aem aem is offline

On Feb 28, 1:57 am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the country, but you
> suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or
> worse.
> [snip]
> I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them. Can
> anybody add to the list?

Basque restaurants in Fresno or Bakersfield, CA, or northern Nevada.
Some neighborhoods in big cities can also qualify as misbegotten. In
LA, La Serenata de Garibaldi is superb Mexican seafood next to
mariachi plaza, and El Rincon Chileno is wonderful Chilean food (and
adjacent deli/takeout) in cruddy east Hollywood. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the country, but you
> suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or
> worse.
>
> Example 1: The Inn at Little Washington, in Washington, West Virginia.

<snippage>

> I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them. Can
> anybody add to the list?
>
> Bob

The Inn at Little Washington is in Washington, Virginia, not WEST Va.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the country, but you
> suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or
> worse.
>
> Example 1: The Inn at Little Washington, in Washington, West Virginia.
>
> Example 2: Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.
>
> Example 3: Taste Restaurant, in Plymouth, California.
>
> Example 4: El Bulli, in Roses, Catalonia.
>
> I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them. Can
> anybody add to the list?
>
> Bob

San Francisco - Scoma's

Bentonville Arkansas - Fred's hickory Inn

Greek town Chicago - Roditis

Cayucos Ca - Sea Shanty

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the country, but you
>> suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or
>> worse.
>>
>> Example 1: The Inn at Little Washington, in Washington, West Virginia.
>>
>> Example 2: Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.
>>
>> Example 3: Taste Restaurant, in Plymouth, California.
>>
>> Example 4: El Bulli, in Roses, Catalonia.
>>
>> I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them. Can
>> anybody add to the list?
>>
>> Bob

> San Francisco - Scoma's
>
> Bentonville Arkansas - Fred's hickory Inn
>
> Greek town Chicago - Roditis
>
> Cayucos Ca - Sea Shanty
>
> --
> Dimitri
>
> Searing

Most people living in the SF Bay Area don't go to Fisherman's Wharf. It's
overpriced; parking is impossible; the food is so-so. Scomas is OK, but
overpriced, and basically falls into that category. You won't find the
localss there.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Kent wrote on Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:43:46 -0800:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the
>>> country, but you suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC
>>> restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or worse.
>>>
>>> Example 1: The Inn at Little Washington, in Washington, West
>>> Virginia.
>>>
>>> Example 2: Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.
>>>
>>> Example 3: Taste Restaurant, in Plymouth, California.
>>>
>>> Example 4: El Bulli, in Roses, Catalonia.
>>>
>>> I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them.
>>> Can anybody add to the list?
>>>
>>> Bob

>> San Francisco - Scoma's
>>
>> Bentonville Arkansas - Fred's hickory Inn
>>
>> Greek town Chicago - Roditis
>>
>> Cayucos Ca - Sea Shanty
>>
>> --
>> Dimitri
>>
>> Searing
>>

> Most people living in the SF Bay Area don't go to Fisherman's Wharf.
> It's overpriced; parking is impossible; the food is
> so-so. Scomas is OK, but overpriced, and basically falls into that
> category. You won't find the localss there.

It's not Fisherman's Wharf but there are some good restaurants close by
in the Ferry Building. I'll just mention "The Slanted Door".

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

James Silverton > wrote:

>It's not Fisherman's Wharf but there are some good restaurants close by
>in the Ferry Building. I'll just mention "The Slanted Door".

Wildly overpriced but good.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the country, but you
> suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or
> worse.
>
> Example 1: The Inn at Little Washington, in Washington, West Virginia.
>
> Example 2: Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.
>
> Example 3: Taste Restaurant, in Plymouth, California.
>
> Example 4: El Bulli, in Roses, Catalonia.
>
> I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them. Can
> anybody add to the list?
>
> Bob

Saigon Cuisine in Greensboro, NC.

Gloria's and La Calle Doce in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Boli wrote:

> The Inn at Little Washington is in Washington, Virginia, not WEST Va.

Ahh, thanks. Somehow my head confused Inn at Little Washington with The
Greenbriar.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Boli wrote:
>
>> The Inn at Little Washington is in Washington, Virginia, not WEST Va.

> Ahh, thanks. Somehow my head confused Inn at Little Washington with The
> Greenbriar.
>
> Bob

Ahhhh, ok. I'll bet The Greenbriar would be fun, too.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

On Feb 28, 4:57*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the country, but you
> suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or
> worse.
>
> Example 1: The Inn at Little Washington, in Washington, West Virginia.
>
> Example 2: Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.
>
> Example 3: Taste Restaurant, in Plymouth, California.
>
> Example 4: El Bulli, in Roses, Catalonia.
>
> I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them. Can
> anybody add to the list?

No, but if anybody knows of one in the middle of Ohio (along I-75),
I'd love
to know about it. We're always stumped for lunch while driving to the
in-laws.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

In rec.food.cooking Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
> Boli wrote:

> > The Inn at Little Washington is in Washington, Virginia, not WEST Va.

> Ahh, thanks. Somehow my head confused Inn at Little Washington with The
> Greenbriar.

Well, while we're in that area there is a place called Eagle Nest
in Alleghany, VA. It is in the middle of freaking nowhere, but
has really excellent food. Note, there is no 's' on the end of
the word 'eagle.' Other places in VA have the 's' but are not
the same. This place is about 1 mile from the West Virginia
border and probably 10 miles from The Greenbriar.

http://eaglenestrestaurant.com/

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.