aristotle

Default Want inexpensive lobster dinner in Boston

I understand there are numerous Boston restaurants offering 2 lobsters
for around $14.95. Any suggestions ?
Christopher C. Stacy

(aristotle) writes:
> I understand there are numerous Boston restaurants offering
> 2 lobsters for around $14.95. Any suggestions ?

I believe that you may be misinformed. However, in years gone by
I have seen some small restaurants within 6 miles of Boston offer
specials on what are often called "chicken lobsters" (they are very
small and contain little meat) for around $15. The prices at such
places may be higher now. These "twin lobster specials" are often
prepared as "fra diavolo" (eg. garlic, peppers, tomato puree),
which drowns out what little taste they had. I can't remember the
names of any of the non-descript places offering these, and they are
not available all the time, anyway. I would not recommend this as
a way to enjoy a special treat of lobster.

Boston is _not_ a good place to get quality lobster at a decent
price; good lobster dinners here usually cost at least $45-65.
(Lobsters were plentiful in colonial times, but not since then.)

If you want to spend about $18 in the Boston area on lobster,
I'd recommend getting the lobster roll at Kelly's, located
in Saugus on Route 1. It has more lobster meat than the kind
of "specials" you're talking about above, and is prepared on
a nice toasted roll so you don't have to do the work of picking
it apart. I believe this is the best lobster roll within
hundreds of miles.

Another place you might try is Dolphin Seafood, in Cambridge,
just outside Harvard Square (this is minutes from downtown Boston).
They serve quality seafood at reasonable prices, and sometimes
have lobster specials.

But if you want a nice good-sized lobster that's not too expensive,
prepared in the traditional way, I would recommend Woodman's restaurant
in Essex, just over an hour north of Boston. Call ahead to be sure
they are available. You pick out your lobster from a large pile,
and they dunk it in a huge cauldron of boiling seawater, and then
plop it onto your paper plate. You eat indoors at a picnic table.
Fried seatood and chowder is also on the menu. This will be very
tasty, and you control how much you pay and can see what you will get.
I would suggest budgeting about $30 for your lobster. This will be
about half as expensive as getting a good lobster anywhere near Boston.
Christopher C. Stacy