Can Altinbay

Default Indy Mexican

My wife wants Mexican tonight. Any recommendations for good Mexican in
Indy, with at least a reasonable non-smoking situation if not smoke free?
My wife is deathly allergic.

Brian Seeger

"Can Altinbay" > wrote:

>My wife wants Mexican tonight. Any recommendations for good Mexican in
>Indy, with at least a reasonable non-smoking situation if not smoke free?
>My wife is deathly allergic.

Deathly? That is quite a statement to make. You lead us to believe she will
DIE is she even smells cigarette smoke?....is that right? That is kind of a
tough thing to avoid...... maybe the car next to you might be smoking and
would that make her die?

Did you say she wanted Mexican or a Mexican? Try to local landscape
companies...they always have a great Mexican to choose from....... <vbg>

Brian Seeger

"Can Altinbay" > wrote:

>My wife wants Mexican tonight. Any recommendations for good Mexican in
>Indy, with at least a reasonable non-smoking situation if not smoke free?
>My wife is deathly allergic.

Deathly? That is quite a statement to make. You lead us to believe she will
DIE is she even smells cigarette smoke?....is that right? That is kind of a
tough thing to avoid...... maybe the car next to you might be smoking and
would that make her die?

Did you say she wanted Mexican or a Mexican? Try to local landscape
companies...they always have a great Mexican to choose from....... <vbg>

Can Altinbay

"Brian Seeger" > wrote in message
> "Can Altinbay" > wrote:
>
> >My wife wants Mexican tonight. Any recommendations for good Mexican in
> >Indy, with at least a reasonable non-smoking situation if not smoke free?
> >My wife is deathly allergic.
> >

> Deathly? That is quite a statement to make. You lead us to believe

she will
> DIE is she even smells cigarette smoke?....is that right? That is kind

of a
> tough thing to avoid...... maybe the car next to you might be smoking

and
> would that make her die?
>
> Did you say she wanted Mexican or a Mexican? Try to local landscape
> companies...they always have a great Mexican to choose from....... <vbg>

Thanks for your extremely kind and considerate response. It has earned your
way into my killfile.

For your information, one sniff of cigarette smoke can get her coughing
heavily for 3 days. Consider THAT.

Can Altinbay

"Brian Seeger" > wrote in message
> "Can Altinbay" > wrote:
>
> >My wife wants Mexican tonight. Any recommendations for good Mexican in
> >Indy, with at least a reasonable non-smoking situation if not smoke free?
> >My wife is deathly allergic.
> >

> Deathly? That is quite a statement to make. You lead us to believe

she will
> DIE is she even smells cigarette smoke?....is that right? That is kind

of a
> tough thing to avoid...... maybe the car next to you might be smoking

and
> would that make her die?
>
> Did you say she wanted Mexican or a Mexican? Try to local landscape
> companies...they always have a great Mexican to choose from....... <vbg>

Thanks for your extremely kind and considerate response. It has earned your
way into my killfile.

For your information, one sniff of cigarette smoke can get her coughing
heavily for 3 days. Consider THAT.

Brian Seeger

"Can Altinbay" > wrote:

>For your information, one sniff of cigarette smoke can get her coughing
>heavily for 3 days. Consider THAT.

Consider this....Life can be a trial. And the kill file works both ways,
honey.

.......your proctologist called
and.... your head has been found.
Zippy the Pinhead

If y'all can stop bickering, I'd like to hear whether Indy has any
good Mexican restaurants.

My one and only experience was on a stop on the way back from a
wedding in Ohio 1990 with my family. There were two restaurants near
the freeway interchange. One was a Red Lobster, the other a Mexican
place. My son wanted seafood, the rest of us had a hankering for
Mexican. The majority ruled.

The chips and "salsa" arrived; but the salsa resembled catsup and the
chips were more the consistency of Fritos. That should have warned
us.

My son, still thinking seafood, saw lobster fajitas on the menu. That
sounded good to me, too, so we decided to get a full dinner order and
split it. My wife and daughter made other menu choices. We were
making the best of the fritos and ketchup when a waiter came with a
sizzling platter, as we'd come to expect from fajitas, but an
overpowering stench preceded him -- the unmistakable odor of seafood
that has seen a better day. Rotten, it was. It must have thawed
somewhere enroute from wherever langostinos live to Indy. The smell
was indescribably foul, stomach-wrenching. We instantly lost our
appetites. I paid for the drinks and chips and we beat a hasty
retreat to the car. Even with windows rolled down, the smell stayed
in our clothes.

I learned a lesson from that. If you order seafood or Mexican in a
place on a freeway offramp that is landlocked and very far from either
the sea or discriminating palates who know how Mexican food should
taste, you probably deserve what you get.

To top the whole trip off, I was listening to late night radio on the
way home and learned that Stevie Ray Vaughan, of whom I'm a big fan,
had died. And to add insult to injury, when I sorted through the
messages on arriving home, I found my orders calling me up from the
Reserves for Gulf War I. Not the greatest of memories...

To this day, my kids occasionally remind me about the "stinky sneaker
fajitas" I tried to feed my son in Indianapolis.

Yuck.

Can Altinbay

"Zippy the Pinhead" > wrote in message
> If y'all can stop bickering, I'd like to hear whether Indy has any
> good Mexican restaurants.

Not bickering. I'm done once and for all with that guy.

> My one and only experience was on a stop on the way back from a
> wedding in Ohio 1990 with my family. There were two restaurants near
> the freeway interchange. One was a Red Lobster, the other a Mexican
> place. My son wanted seafood, the rest of us had a hankering for
> Mexican. The majority ruled.

....bad experience deleted...

> To this day, my kids occasionally remind me about the "stinky sneaker
> fajitas" I tried to feed my son in Indianapolis.
>
> Yuck.

Indeed. Poor you, you had a pretty limited choice.

Actually, so far I know 2 great places in Indy.

There is a place on East Washington that is two blocks west of the Firestone
shop that is hole in the wall, the help speaks rather limited English, and
had a really good Mexican Chicken ("with red and green sauce") that was
delicious.

I did research all yesterday afternoon and this was one of the finalists,
but my landlord came by to look at some repair issues. He came with his
wife and really cool 6 year old son. As they were leavong, I asked his wife
what she might recommend. Not only did I get an answer, he treated.

This place, way east on Fox (Geist area), is called El Rodeo and is part of
an Indiana chain. There's 3 of them in Indy. It's an outfit not unlike a 3
Margaritas or a Chevy's. I ordered a chicken dish with onions in cream
mushroom sauce and my wife ordered a different, somewhat spicy, chicken
dish. Both were sensational. We'll be going back and trying other things.
It's not too far from where she works, so she'll do lunches there. If they
allowed smoking, we didn't notice it.

I sprung this one kind of late to get any real response, but thank you for
your interest and for sharing your story. Even horror stories are fun to
read.

We'll also try to find a place that isn't quite so far - maybe one of the
other branches is closer. We live just south of Broad Ripple. La Jolla,
the one in Broad Ripple, has separate smoking/non smoking sections, but is
the one place I've seen so far on this one user review dining site that has
been uniformly panned. It's also the only one I called for smoking policy
where the help had no trouble with English, in fact was a native speaker.
(This is not a discrimination thing. Though the other places obviously had
"authentic" help, that may or may not translate to good food. Just an
observation. Anyway, I wish places would be able to handle this question
easier.)

Until the next question...

Q. in Indy? Anon Barbecue 1 30-10-2004 04:05 PM
Q. in Indy? Anon Barbecue 1 30-10-2004 04:05 PM
Indy Sushi Sharmin Sushi 0 30-03-2004 07:06 PM