Gulph

Default Where do the Chinese eat in San Francisco?

I lived in San Francisco in the late '70s and remember eating in
little hole-in-the-wall Chinese places where my girlfriend and I were
the only Anglos, dinner was about $4 and the only utensils were
chopsticks. I have particularly fond memories of a place called Wing
Lee's up somewhere on Russian Hill. I'm sure that it's long gone.

I'm going back to SF with my family next month and want to repeat that
experience, to the extent possible. What I DON'T want is to go to the
tourist places in Chinatown or down on Fisherman's Wharf. I'm looking
for spots that regular Chinese folks go to eat and that are probably
located in a neighborhood, not a main drag. (I realize prices are
probably way up.)

Does anyone have any suggestions -- if not specific restaurants, at
least where to look?

Thanks!

Mark
William Prien

I was in San Francisco last in 1994, and the Wing Lee restaurant was
there then. I think it was on Polk St. The food was just terrific, and
very authentic tasting. The prices were very low and the portions
huge. A really great place to dine. I'm sure there are equally good
places in Chinatown, too, but the Wing Lee was always our favorite
Chinese Place.

William

This may seem dumb, but last time I was in San Francisco, I drove by a
strip of Chinese restaurants on an E-W street up near the southern end
of the Golden Gate Bridge. I've prided myself over many decades of being
able to spot a "clean window" restaurant that I'll return to someday to
eat. The clientele in some of these were apparently Chinese, too.

Next time I'm there, I'll check it out. Maybe one of the group can do
better at identifying the area and restaurants?

Cheers,
Rob Lake

In article >,
William Prien > wrote:
>I was in San Francisco last in 1994, and the Wing Lee restaurant was
>there then. I think it was on Polk St. The food was just terrific, and
>very authentic tasting. The prices were very low and the portions
>huge. A really great place to dine. I'm sure there are equally good
>places in Chinatown, too, but the Wing Lee was always our favorite
>Chinese Place.
>
>William

Caldebs1

>I lived in San Francisco in the late '70s and remember eating in
>little hole-in-the-wall Chinese places where my girlfriend and I were
>the only Anglos, dinner was about $4 and the only utensils were
>chopsticks. I have particularly fond memories of a place called Wing
>Lee's up somewhere on Russian Hill. I'm sure that it's long gone.
>
>I'm going back to SF with my family next month and want to repeat that
>experience, to the extent possible. What I DON'T want is to go to the
>tourist places in Chinatown or down on Fisherman's Wharf. I'm looking
>for spots that regular Chinese folks go to eat and that are probably
>located in a neighborhood, not a main drag. (I realize prices are
>probably way up.)
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions -- if not specific restaurants, at
>least where to look?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Mark

Clement Street. Take the 32 Geary bus and get off around 22nd and walk one
block north. A request in the ba.food newsgroup might yield some current
restaurant recommendations in that neighborhood which is where a lot of chinese
people moved to from Chinatown years back.

Buzz
Caldebs1