Old 19-02-2009, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Default Death to cilantro!

Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night and told the
waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they hold the
cilantro on my lamb curry. So they made sure to dump cilantro on top
and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out to make it edible.
Even then, the flavor was ruined every time I bit into a stray piece
and the vile taste overwhelmed my taste buds.

The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
requests it. Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
you like it mild. They could even put the cilantro on the side and
let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.

Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
cilantro. I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
because of it. My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to
cover up the taste of spoiled meat.

Old 20-02-2009, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

I feel that way about bell peppers-- they're vile, and
ruin the whole dish for me.

However, everyone has different preferences. If all
possibly-disliked foods were given the same treatment,
we'd all just be eating individual ingredients.

-Patti
--
Patti Beadles, Oakland, CA |
pattib~pattib.org | All religions are equally
Old 20-02-2009, 02:39 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 19, 4:01*pm, (Patti Beadles) wrote:
I feel that way about bell peppers-- they're vile, and
ruin the whole dish for me.

However, everyone has different preferences. *If all
possibly-disliked foods were given the same treatment,
we'd all just be eating individual ingredients.

I will trade you my cilantro for your bellps. Although I don't mind
the soapy taste of cilantro, it is not my favorite.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep
Old 20-02-2009, 02:40 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 19, 4:58*pm, Nick Cramer wrote:
(Patti Beadles) wrote:
I feel that way about bell peppers-- they're vile, and
ruin the whole dish for me.

However, everyone has different preferences. *If all
possibly-disliked foods were given the same treatment,
we'd all just be eating individual ingredients.

I don't care for the taste of Bell peppers, either. Broccoli is my least
favorite vegetable, followed closely by cauliflower. They're barely
tolerable in a few dishes. I can't stand beef liver at all.

I can't stand cauliflower but broc is fabulous (if cooked. Raw, I
choke on it.)

I've never really understood why anyone would eat a liver.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Old 20-02-2009, 06:55 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 19, 2:14*pm, wrote:
Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

To me, it tastes like soap only if it is cooked. Left raw, it is
slightly herby, like parsley.

I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night and told the
waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they hold the
cilantro on my lamb curry.

I've never had cilantro leaves on my lamb curry. Coriander seed is one
of the more used curry spices, of course.

I bet they processed your request as "Dude wants coriander leaves on
his lamb curry. OK, he's the customer."

*So they made sure to dump cilantro on top
and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out to make it edible.
Even then, the flavor was ruined every time I bit into a stray piece
and the vile taste overwhelmed my taste buds.

The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
requests it. *Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
you like it mild. *They could even put the cilantro on the side and
let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.

Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
cilantro. *I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
because of it. *My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to
cover up the taste of spoiled meat.

Garnishes applied at the last second would be as ineffective as
putting chocolate sprinkles on a turd.

Old 20-02-2009, 12:08 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

wrote:

[...]

You sound like the same guy who complained on numerous occasions
that there's no Dr Pepper at the Cheesecake Factory.

Why the **** didn't you just ask them to replace it - Because then
you wouldn't have a chance to whine and complain here?

-sw
Old 20-02-2009, 10:18 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

its a gene, i was told...

so ive got the LOVE CILANTRO GENE, LOADS OF IT!

bye

frank

http://tvc15.blogs.com/

Old 20-02-2009, 11:51 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Frank wrote:
its a gene, i was told...

so ive got the LOVE CILANTRO GENE, LOADS OF IT!

Same here.. love it cooked or uncooked.

--
Dan
Old 21-02-2009, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In ba.food Frank wrote:
it?s a gene, i was told...

One reference to soapy cilantro genetics...

http://spittoon.23andme.com/2008/08/06/i-hate-cilantro/

G.
Old 21-02-2009, 02:59 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

Which camp you're in is apparently genetically-based. Your description of
the taste as "like soap" is the most common one I've heard from those who
can't stand it.

[ . . . ]My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to
cover up the taste of spoiled meat.

My wife and daughter use cilantro a lot. They don't cook spoiled meat. ;-)

families:
https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

It is genetically based. About 15% (can't remember the exact number) of the
general population has an enzyme in their mouths that makes cilantro taste
either like soap or metallic. When I inadvertently get some cilantro it
tastes like I have just bitten down on a nice aluminum pot. Very
unpleasant.

Tim K