Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Default Death to cilantro!

Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night and told the
waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they hold the
cilantro on my lamb curry. So they made sure to dump cilantro on top
and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out to make it edible.
Even then, the flavor was ruined every time I bit into a stray piece
and the vile taste overwhelmed my taste buds.

The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
requests it. Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
you like it mild. They could even put the cilantro on the side and
let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.

Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
cilantro. I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
because of it. My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to
cover up the taste of spoiled meat.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

I feel that way about bell peppers-- they're vile, and
ruin the whole dish for me.

However, everyone has different preferences. If all
possibly-disliked foods were given the same treatment,
we'd all just be eating individual ingredients.

-Patti
--
Patti Beadles, Oakland, CA |
pattib~pattib.org | All religions are equally
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 19, 4:01*pm, (Patti Beadles) wrote:
> I feel that way about bell peppers-- they're vile, and
> ruin the whole dish for me.
>
> However, everyone has different preferences. *If all
> possibly-disliked foods were given the same treatment,
> we'd all just be eating individual ingredients.

I will trade you my cilantro for your bellps. Although I don't mind
the soapy taste of cilantro, it is not my favorite.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 19, 4:58*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> (Patti Beadles) wrote:
> > I feel that way about bell peppers-- they're vile, and
> > ruin the whole dish for me.

> > However, everyone has different preferences. *If all
> > possibly-disliked foods were given the same treatment,
> > we'd all just be eating individual ingredients.

> I don't care for the taste of Bell peppers, either. Broccoli is my least
> favorite vegetable, followed closely by cauliflower. They're barely
> tolerable in a few dishes. I can't stand beef liver at all.

I can't stand cauliflower but broc is fabulous (if cooked. Raw, I
choke on it.)

I've never really understood why anyone would eat a liver.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 19, 2:14*pm, wrote:
> Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
> be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

To me, it tastes like soap only if it is cooked. Left raw, it is
slightly herby, like parsley.

> I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night and told the
> waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they hold the
> cilantro on my lamb curry.

I've never had cilantro leaves on my lamb curry. Coriander seed is one
of the more used curry spices, of course.

I bet they processed your request as "Dude wants coriander leaves on
his lamb curry. OK, he's the customer."

>*So they made sure to dump cilantro on top
> and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out to make it edible.
> Even then, the flavor was ruined every time I bit into a stray piece
> and the vile taste overwhelmed my taste buds.
>
> The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
> requests it. *Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
> you like it mild. *They could even put the cilantro on the side and
> let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.
>
> Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
> cilantro. *I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
> because of it. *My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to
> cover up the taste of spoiled meat.

Garnishes applied at the last second would be as ineffective as
putting chocolate sprinkles on a turd.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

> wrote:

> Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
> be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.
>
> I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night and told the
> waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they hold the
> cilantro on my lamb curry. So they made sure to dump cilantro on top
> and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out to make it edible.
> Even then, the flavor was ruined every time I bit into a stray piece
> and the vile taste overwhelmed my taste buds.
>
> The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
> requests it. Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
> you like it mild. They could even put the cilantro on the side and
> let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.
>
> Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
> cilantro. I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
> because of it. My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to
> cover up the taste of spoiled meat.

You sound like the same guy who complained on numerous occasions
that there's no Dr Pepper at the Cheesecake Factory.

Why the **** didn't you just ask them to replace it - Because then
you wouldn't have a chance to whine and complain here?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

it´s a gene, i was told...

so i´ve got the LOVE CILANTRO GENE, LOADS OF IT!

bye

frank

http://tvc15.blogs.com/

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Frank wrote:
> it´s a gene, i was told...
>
> so i´ve got the LOVE CILANTRO GENE, LOADS OF IT!

Same here.. love it cooked or uncooked.

--
Dan
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In ba.food Frank > wrote:
> it?s a gene, i was told...

One reference to soapy cilantro genetics...

http://spittoon.23andme.com/2008/08/06/i-hate-cilantro/

G.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

It is genetically based. About 15% (can't remember the exact number) of the
general population has an enzyme in their mouths that makes cilantro taste
either like soap or metallic. When I inadvertently get some cilantro it
tastes like I have just bitten down on a nice aluminum pot. Very
unpleasant.

Tim K

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article >, Nick Cramer > wrote:

>I don't care for the taste of Bell peppers, either. Broccoli is my least
>favorite vegetable, followed closely by cauliflower. [snip]

[snip] I can't stand beef liver at all.

haha. these are the 3 things i don't like.

Broccoli & cauliflower are pretty tasteless to me. so i tolerate them
occasionally if the source is good.

i also don't like blood. but i can eat around it if it's like jelly.

regards,

----------

Pam's Ode to Spammers & Telemarketers

May all spammers & telemarketers die an agonizing death; have no
burial places; their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one
room to another for 1000 years while listening to Bartok microcosmos +
Scriabin playing together.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article
wrote:

> Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
> be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.
>
> I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night and told the
> waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they hold the
> cilantro on my lamb curry. So they made sure to dump cilantro on top
> and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out to make it edible.
> Even then, the flavor was ruined every time I bit into a stray piece
> and the vile taste overwhelmed my taste buds.
>
> The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
> requests it. Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
> you like it mild. They could even put the cilantro on the side and
> let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.
>
> Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
> cilantro. I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
> because of it. My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to
> cover up the taste of spoiled meat.

I can't eat at most Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants because of the
MSG. The same goes for cheap American restaurants (TGIF, KFC,
Popeye's), but no loss there. It tastes like baking soda and it gives
me flu-like pains and a salty mouth for hours. Almost any restaurant
will say that they can cook without the MSG but they're lying. If
there's only a moderate amount added, I don't know I'm sick until after
I've paid the bill.

--
I will not see your reply if you use Google.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 20, 6:00*pm, (Dr. Curmudgon Gee)
wrote:
> In article >, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >I don't care for the taste of Bell peppers, either. Broccoli is my least
> >favorite vegetable, followed closely by cauliflower. [snip]

> [snip] I can't stand beef liver at all.
>
> haha. these are the 3 things i don't like.
>
> Broccoli & cauliflower are pretty tasteless to me. so i tolerate them
> occasionally if the source is good.
>
> i also don't like blood. but i can eat around it if it's like jelly.

No bun bo hue for Dr. Pam
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article >,
> wrote:
>Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
>be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

Perhaps one day gene therapy will be available for your poor
defectives. Cilantro is delicious.

rone
--
MIS EN BOUTEILLE AU DOMAINE >
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article
wrote:

> To me, it tastes like soap only if it is cooked. Left raw, it is
> slightly herby, like parsley.

Eat soap much?

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 22, 10:42*am, Guy Bannis > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> wrote:
> > To me, it tastes like soap only if it is cooked. Left raw, it is
> > slightly herby, like parsley.

> Eat soap much?

Not at all necessary. "Taste" is code for the flavor sensation, which
is 80-90% smell. Olfactory memories are the strongest; most such
memories go back to childhood. We have all tasted soap in our youths,
whether purposely or while our faces were being washed.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

> wrote in message

> Not at all necessary. "Taste" is code for the flavor sensation, which
> is 80-90% smell.

Isn't that the truth?
I had an accident about 3 years ago where I disconnected
my olfactory nerve. It took me a few days to realize what
had happened. Friends were bringing all sorts of excellent
outside food to the hospital, and I couldn't stomach any
of it. It just tasted like cardboard.

I had to learn to eat again. I cook for myself now, but don't
cook for anybody else, as I've no idea how much seasoning to
put in (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, ginger, garlic, basil,
mint, etc, etc, all taste of nothing).

I've been following the cilantro = soap discussion, thinking
about whether cilantro really tastes soapy to some folks, or
if it's olfactory. I just tried licking a bar of soap, and didn't
get much from it. If anyone who hates cilantro was prepared
to eat some while holding their nose, I'd be interested
in how bad it tastes.

Pete

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Pete Fraser wrote:

> Isn't that the truth?
> I had an accident about 3 years ago where I disconnected
> my olfactory nerve. It took me a few days to realize what
> had happened. Friends were bringing all sorts of excellent
> outside food to the hospital, and I couldn't stomach any
> of it. It just tasted like cardboard.

Do you like spicy-hot food?

I fried of mine can't smell. Which is probably for the better as his wife
can't cook worth a shit. He won't eat spicy food. I would have thought
people with no sense of smell would like spicy food.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> Do you like spicy-hot food?

Very much so.

> I fried of mine can't smell. Which is probably for the better as his wife
> can't cook worth a shit. He won't eat spicy food. I would have thought
> people with no sense of smell would like spicy food.

It's one more dimension.
I'm particularly fond of banh mi.
A wide variety of tastes and texture, with a hint of capsaicin.

Pete

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Pete Fraser wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>

>>Do you like spicy-hot food?

> Very much so.
>

>>I fried of mine can't smell. Which is probably for the better as his wife
>>can't cook worth a shit. He won't eat spicy food. I would have thought
>>people with no sense of smell would like spicy food.

> It's one more dimension.
> I'm particularly fond of banh mi.
> A wide variety of tastes and texture, with a hint of capsaicin.

I love a good banh mi with the tiny thai chiles. Its been a while
since I had one though. This sandwich would be list without the
fresh cilantro.

--
Dan
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Pete Fraser wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>> Do you like spicy-hot food?

> Very much so.
>

>> I fried of mine can't smell. Which is probably for the better as his wife can't cook

worth a shit. He won't eat spicy food. I would have thought people with no sense of
smell would like spicy food.

> It's one more dimension.
> I'm particularly fond of banh mi.
> A wide variety of tastes and texture, with a hint of capsaicin.

I love a good banh mi with the tiny thai chiles. Its been a while
since I had one though. This sandwich would be lost without the
fresh cilantro.

--
Dan
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Dan Logcher wrote:

> I love a good banh mi with the tiny thai chiles. Its been a while
> since I had one though. This sandwich would be list without the
> fresh cilantro.

This is how I learned to like cilantro - on banh mi. After you eat about
500 of them, you'll like cilantro :-)

As for the Thai bird chiles, I have to buy packages that are 25% orange
and red and the rest are green. The green ones are tasteless compared to
the reds. So I throw those away.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article >,
> wrote:
>Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
>be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

I feel similarly about cheese (a pizza may as well be covered in
pus). And coffee (which reeks and tastes like dirt). And hot
spices in sufficient quantities to mask other flavors (and is often
a sign of an unskilled chef).

The trick, however, is to avoid ordering things that contain those
ingredients.

>I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night

Stop right there. If you don't like cilantro, why did you go to a
restaurant serving cuisine that typically uses cilantro?

>told the waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they
>hold the cilantro on my lamb curry. So they made sure to dump
>cilantro on top and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out
>to make it edible.

If this was an "expensive" restaurant, why didn't you send it back?

>The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
>requests it. Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
>you like it mild. They could even put the cilantro on the side and
>let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.

So, again, why didn't you send it back? You placed the order,
the waiter agreed, and they fouled it up. That should be the
restaurant's problem, not yours.

>Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
>cilantro. I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
>because of it.

So, don't eat there.

>My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to cover up the
>taste of spoiled meat.

That's the idea behind "chicken fried steak" to disguise a
substandard piece of meat.

Actually, if used properly, cilantro works as a flavor enhancer to
good meat.

-A
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:

> Dan Logcher wrote:
>
>> I love a good banh mi with the tiny thai chiles. Its been a while
>> since I had one though. This sandwich would be list without the
>> fresh cilantro.

> This is how I learned to like cilantro - on banh mi. After you eat
> about 500 of them, you'll like cilantro :-)
>
> As for the Thai bird chiles, I have to buy packages that are 25% orange
> and red and the rest are green. The green ones are tasteless compared
> to the reds. So I throw those away.

I grew them once.. orange and red were really hot! Japanese beatles ate all
the leaves off the plants. I guess I should have saved some of the seeds..

--
Dan

Member

Location: Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Its not so bad.....
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article >,
> wrote:
>I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night and told the
>waiter I didn't care for cilantro

That's your mistake. I have met many Indians who don't know what you
mean when you say "cilantro." If you ask to leave out the cilantro,
they will assume what they put in is fine because they don't use
anything called cilantro in their food. To them, it's called
coriander. Cilantro is the Spanish name.

-A

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Apr 12, 5:32*pm, (axlq) wrote:

> That's your mistake. I have met many Indians who don't know what you
> mean when you say "cilantro." If you ask to leave out the cilantro,
> they will assume what they put in is fine because they don't use
> anything called cilantro in their food. *To them, it's called
> coriander. Cilantro is the Spanish name.

His mistake??? That is really carrying the PC accommodating foreigners
bullshit too damn far. People open up a restaurant in an area and
they don't know the local food lingo? Not to mention, that cilantro is
a well known aka for coriander in culinary circles. No, it's the
restaurant's mistake.

I know the "customer is always right" is a joke nowadays, but no way
the OP is at fault. Geezus, go to an Italian place and you say no
mushrooms, and it's your fault because you didn't say no funghi...NO
WAY!

Ciccio
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Ciccio > wrote:

>His mistake??? That is really carrying the PC accommodating foreigners
>bullshit too damn far. People open up a restaurant in an area and
>they don't know the local food lingo? Not to mention, that cilantro is
>a well known aka for coriander in culinary circles. No, it's the
>restaurant's mistake.

>I know the "customer is always right" is a joke nowadays, but no way
>the OP is at fault. Geezus, go to an Italian place and you say no
>mushrooms, and it's your fault because you didn't say no funghi...NO
>WAY!

The Voice of reason.

You got your ethnic restaurants that don't speak the local
majority language, and they do business at one level, and
then you got those that do, and they do business at a better level.
It all evens out. Parity.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article >,
Ciccio > wrote:
>On Apr 12, 5:32*pm, (axlq) wrote:
>> That's your mistake. I have met many Indians who don't know what you
>> mean when you say "cilantro." If you ask to leave out the cilantro,
>> they will assume what they put in is fine because they don't use
>> anything called cilantro in their food. *To them, it's called
>> coriander. Cilantro is the Spanish name.

>His mistake??? That is really carrying the PC accommodating foreigners
>bullshit too damn far. People open up a restaurant in an area and

Simmer down. I was being sarcastic, more or less.

Perhaps "mistake" wasn't appropriate, but the word in this context
has an interesting background:

Two weeks ago an Indian friend put on a baby shower for us. (My
function was to turn it into a wine tasting party to get rid of some
cases of wine that are getting a bit old, so I tended bar.) The
party attracted 45 guests, so we used the clubhouse at our condo
complex.

Anyway, she and another Indian guy were up late the night before
cooking, then on party day they took over our kitchen, finished
preparing all the food, and it was a glorious feast. I quail at
the thought of preparing an 8-course buffet for 45 people, but they
pulled it off. Most of it *wasn't* Indian cuisine, but some was,
and some was pre-prepared from a store.

Now, my Mom was there, too. She hates cilantro.

My Mom asked our friends which dishes had cilantro in them, and they
told her "none". They were using coriander in some dishes. My
Mom thought afterward that she was lied to until I explained that
Indians likely don't call it cilantro, and may not have known what
she meant, to which she responded "maybe that was my mistake."

The very next week, with her comment in mind, I posted the above
reply.

-A
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Apr 15, 1:25*pm, (axlq) wrote:

> Simmer down. *I was being sarcastic, more or less.

Maybe you were. Yet, there are idiots who actually assert such
bullshit.

> Two weeks ago an Indian friend put on a baby shower for us.
> My Mom asked our friends which dishes had cilantro in them, and they
> told her "none". *They were using coriander in some dishes. *My
> Mom thought afterward that she was lied to until I explained that
> Indians likely don't call it cilantro, and may not have known what
> she meant, to which she responded "maybe that was my mistake."
>
> The very next week, with her comment in mind, I posted the above
> reply.

Hosts serving guests at at private baby shower is a big difference
from a professional restauranter serving paying patrons.

Though, in both instances, it is rather odd that nobody inquired
something like: "What is cilantro?" I mean jeez, if some Indian were
to ask me: "Is there dhanyia in the food?" Almost reflexively I'd
reply: "What is dhanyia?" Perhaps, it's part of Indian social mores
not to make such inquiries.

Ciccio