Old 21-02-2009, 03:00 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Default Death to cilantro!

In article , Nick Cramer wrote:

I don't care for the taste of Bell peppers, either. Broccoli is my least
favorite vegetable, followed closely by cauliflower. [snip]

[snip] I can't stand beef liver at all.

haha. these are the 3 things i don't like.

Broccoli & cauliflower are pretty tasteless to me. so i tolerate them
occasionally if the source is good.

i also don't like blood. but i can eat around it if it's like jelly.

regards,

----------

Pam's Ode to Spammers & Telemarketers

May all spammers & telemarketers die an agonizing death; have no
burial places; their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one
room to another for 1000 years while listening to Bartok microcosmos +
Scriabin playing together.

Old 21-02-2009, 06:10 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article
,
wrote:

Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night and told the
waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they hold the
cilantro on my lamb curry. So they made sure to dump cilantro on top
and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out to make it edible.
Even then, the flavor was ruined every time I bit into a stray piece
and the vile taste overwhelmed my taste buds.

The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
requests it. Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
you like it mild. They could even put the cilantro on the side and
let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.

Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
cilantro. I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
because of it. My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to
cover up the taste of spoiled meat.

I can't eat at most Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants because of the
MSG. The same goes for cheap American restaurants (TGIF, KFC,
Popeye's), but no loss there. It tastes like baking soda and it gives
me flu-like pains and a salty mouth for hours. Almost any restaurant
will say that they can cook without the MSG but they're lying. If
there's only a moderate amount added, I don't know I'm sick until after
I've paid the bill.

--
I will not see your reply if you use Google.
Old 21-02-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 20, 6:00*pm, (Dr. Curmudgon Gee)
wrote:
In article , Nick Cramer wrote:

I don't care for the taste of Bell peppers, either. Broccoli is my least
favorite vegetable, followed closely by cauliflower. [snip]

[snip] I can't stand beef liver at all.

haha. these are the 3 things i don't like.

Broccoli & cauliflower are pretty tasteless to me. so i tolerate them
occasionally if the source is good.

i also don't like blood. but i can eat around it if it's like jelly.

No bun bo hue for Dr. Pam
Old 22-02-2009, 07:32 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

Perhaps one day gene therapy will be available for your poor
defectives. Cilantro is delicious.

rone
--
MIS EN BOUTEILLE AU DOMAINE
Old 22-02-2009, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article
,
wrote:

To me, it tastes like soap only if it is cooked. Left raw, it is
slightly herby, like parsley.

Eat soap much?

Old 23-02-2009, 06:32 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Feb 22, 10:42*am, Guy Bannis wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
To me, it tastes like soap only if it is cooked. Left raw, it is
slightly herby, like parsley.

Eat soap much?

Not at all necessary. "Taste" is code for the flavor sensation, which
is 80-90% smell. Olfactory memories are the strongest; most such
memories go back to childhood. We have all tasted soap in our youths,
whether purposely or while our faces were being washed.
Old 23-02-2009, 07:44 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

wrote in message

Not at all necessary. "Taste" is code for the flavor sensation, which
is 80-90% smell.

Isn't that the truth?
I had an accident about 3 years ago where I disconnected
my olfactory nerve. It took me a few days to realize what
had happened. Friends were bringing all sorts of excellent
outside food to the hospital, and I couldn't stomach any
of it. It just tasted like cardboard.

I had to learn to eat again. I cook for myself now, but don't
cook for anybody else, as I've no idea how much seasoning to
put in (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, ginger, garlic, basil,
mint, etc, etc, all taste of nothing).

I've been following the cilantro = soap discussion, thinking
about whether cilantro really tastes soapy to some folks, or
if it's olfactory. I just tried licking a bar of soap, and didn't
get much from it. If anyone who hates cilantro was prepared
to eat some while holding their nose, I'd be interested
in how bad it tastes.

Pete

Old 23-02-2009, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Pete Fraser wrote:

Isn't that the truth?
I had an accident about 3 years ago where I disconnected
my olfactory nerve. It took me a few days to realize what
had happened. Friends were bringing all sorts of excellent
outside food to the hospital, and I couldn't stomach any
of it. It just tasted like cardboard.

Do you like spicy-hot food?

I fried of mine can't smell. Which is probably for the better as his wife
can't cook worth a shit. He won't eat spicy food. I would have thought
people with no sense of smell would like spicy food.

-sw
Old 23-02-2009, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

"Sqwertz" wrote in message

Do you like spicy-hot food?

Very much so.

I fried of mine can't smell. Which is probably for the better as his wife
can't cook worth a shit. He won't eat spicy food. I would have thought
people with no sense of smell would like spicy food.

It's one more dimension.
I'm particularly fond of banh mi.
A wide variety of tastes and texture, with a hint of capsaicin.

Pete

Old 23-02-2009, 09:33 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Pete Fraser wrote:
"Sqwertz" wrote in message

Do you like spicy-hot food?

Very much so.

I fried of mine can't smell. Which is probably for the better as his wife
can't cook worth a shit. He won't eat spicy food. I would have thought
people with no sense of smell would like spicy food.

It's one more dimension.
I'm particularly fond of banh mi.
A wide variety of tastes and texture, with a hint of capsaicin.

I love a good banh mi with the tiny thai chiles. Its been a while
since I had one though. This sandwich would be list without the
fresh cilantro.

--
Dan
Old 23-02-2009, 09:50 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Pete Fraser wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message

Do you like spicy-hot food?

Very much so.

I fried of mine can't smell. Which is probably for the better as his wife can't cook

worth a shit. He won't eat spicy food. I would have thought people with no sense of
smell would like spicy food.

It's one more dimension.
I'm particularly fond of banh mi.
A wide variety of tastes and texture, with a hint of capsaicin.

I love a good banh mi with the tiny thai chiles. Its been a while
since I had one though. This sandwich would be lost without the
fresh cilantro.

--
Dan
Old 23-02-2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Dan Logcher wrote:

I love a good banh mi with the tiny thai chiles. Its been a while
since I had one though. This sandwich would be list without the
fresh cilantro.

This is how I learned to like cilantro - on banh mi. After you eat about
500 of them, you'll like cilantro :-)

As for the Thai bird chiles, I have to buy packages that are 25% orange
and red and the rest are green. The green ones are tasteless compared to
the reds. So I throw those away.

-sw
Old 24-02-2009, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

I feel similarly about cheese (a pizza may as well be covered in
pus). And coffee (which reeks and tastes like dirt). And hot
spices in sufficient quantities to mask other flavors (and is often
a sign of an unskilled chef).

The trick, however, is to avoid ordering things that contain those
ingredients.

I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night

Stop right there. If you don't like cilantro, why did you go to a
restaurant serving cuisine that typically uses cilantro?

told the waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they
hold the cilantro on my lamb curry. So they made sure to dump
cilantro on top and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out
to make it edible.

If this was an "expensive" restaurant, why didn't you send it back?

The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
requests it. Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
you like it mild. They could even put the cilantro on the side and
let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.

So, again, why didn't you send it back? You placed the order,
the waiter agreed, and they fouled it up. That should be the
restaurant's problem, not yours.

Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
cilantro. I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
because of it.

So, don't eat there.

My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to cover up the
taste of spoiled meat.

That's the idea behind "chicken fried steak" to disguise a
substandard piece of meat.

Actually, if used properly, cilantro works as a flavor enhancer to
good meat.

-A
Old 24-02-2009, 04:00 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:

Dan Logcher wrote:

I love a good banh mi with the tiny thai chiles. Its been a while
since I had one though. This sandwich would be list without the
fresh cilantro.

This is how I learned to like cilantro - on banh mi. After you eat
about 500 of them, you'll like cilantro :-)

As for the Thai bird chiles, I have to buy packages that are 25% orange
and red and the rest are green. The green ones are tasteless compared
to the reds. So I throw those away.

I grew them once.. orange and red were really hot! Japanese beatles ate all
the leaves off the plants. I guess I should have saved some of the seeds..

--
Dan