Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.restaurants,ba.food

Default Why so few ff places in the northeast?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Golden California Girls wrote:

> Al Eisner wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Golden California Girls wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, and I fully understand not ever wanting to eat a hamburger at BK,
>>> Wendy's or McDonands if there is an In-N-Out anywhere within 100 miles.

>> You must own stock!
>>
>> But in any case, In-N-Out doesn't satisfy the original criteria, since
>> it's not a fast food place. Typical time delay is similar to that of
>> good non-chain burger places (unless one goes at very-off hours).

> So (for you) fast food is only possible if it is cook before order?

I would emphasize some combination of that with speed ("fast") -- that is,
that the restaurant "generally" be fast, which is usually acieved by
pre-cooking the food (except perhaps for a last step, like crisping up
fries). Still, the various responses suggest it isn't so clear-cut a
definition. I wouldn't agree with the issue of paying before eating --
e.g., Sizzler, which those addressing felt was NOT a fast-food place,
takes payment on ordering. Delivery of the food to your table may
also be a good test (i.e., most places that do that are probably not
fast food places).

However, in my initial comment I was certainly emphasizing the "fast".
In'n'Out is rarely fast, even if the line to order is short. If I order
a burger at a place I think we'd all agree is non-fast-food, such as
The Counter or Kirk's on the mid-peninsula **, it doesn't take any signifi-
cantly longer to arrive than it does at IN'n'Out, although perhaps you
would distinguish those places by their table-service (or at least
table-delivery).

** I see this thread is cross-posted, so I should note that these are
places in the San Francisco area.
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.restaurants,ba.food

In article
anford.edu>, Al
Eisner > wrote:

> However, in my initial comment I was certainly emphasizing the "fast".
> In'n'Out is rarely fast, even if the line to order is short. If I order
> a burger at a place I think we'd all agree is non-fast-food, such as
> The Counter or Kirk's on the mid-peninsula **, it doesn't take any signifi-
> cantly longer to arrive than it does at IN'n'Out, although perhaps you
> would distinguish those places by their table-service (or at least
> table-delivery).

In-N-Out does a very healthy drive-through business. Indeed, this is
pretty much how they started, in the layouts which lasted into the
1990s.

I call any place with a drive-through lane, that is popular, a fast
food place.

--Tim May
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.restaurants,ba.food

In article
anford.edu>,
Al Eisner > wrote:

> However, in my initial comment I was certainly emphasizing the "fast".
> In'n'Out is rarely fast, even if the line to order is short. If I order
> a burger at a place I think we'd all agree is non-fast-food, such as
> The Counter or Kirk's on the mid-peninsula **, it doesn't take any signifi-
> cantly longer to arrive than it does at IN'n'Out, although perhaps you
> would distinguish those places by their table-service (or at least
> table-delivery).

Having just dined at The Counter this weekend, I would disagree with
your assertion that they do not take significantly longer to deliver
meals than In-n-Out. Our meal went:

1) Order (t=0)
2) Receive drinks (t+5minutes)
3) Receive fries/onion strings (t+10 minutes)
4) Receive burgers (t+20 minutes)

This is not unusual for The Counter; the fries are treated (by them) as
an appetizer.

You're asserting that it takes 20 minutes to receive your burgers at
In-n-Out? I've never waited that long inside, even when the line was out
the door (e.g., Vacaville, weekend lunch, summer weekend).

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.restaurants,ba.food

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Steve Fenwick wrote:

> In article
> anford.edu>,
> Al Eisner > wrote:
>
>> However, in my initial comment I was certainly emphasizing the "fast".
>> In'n'Out is rarely fast, even if the line to order is short. If I order
>> a burger at a place I think we'd all agree is non-fast-food, such as
>> The Counter or Kirk's on the mid-peninsula **, it doesn't take any signifi-
>> cantly longer to arrive than it does at IN'n'Out, although perhaps you
>> would distinguish those places by their table-service (or at least
>> table-delivery).

> Having just dined at The Counter this weekend, I would disagree with
> your assertion that they do not take significantly longer to deliver
> meals than In-n-Out. Our meal went:
>
> 1) Order (t=0)
> 2) Receive drinks (t+5minutes)
> 3) Receive fries/onion strings (t+10 minutes)
> 4) Receive burgers (t+20 minutes)
>
> This is not unusual for The Counter; the fries are treated (by them) as
> an appetizer.

I guess that matches my maximum-wait experience at The Counter. I've
only been there about four times, so perhaps I don't have adequate
statistics. Still, they are serving something in less time. Kirk's,
which I've been to many more times, is decidedly faster, with waits
rarely more than 10 minutes.

> You're asserting that it takes 20 minutes to receive your burgers at
> In-n-Out? I've never waited that long inside, even when the line was out
> the door (e.g., Vacaville, weekend lunch, summer weekend).

Definitely, I've seen 20 minute waits at In-n-Out. And I don't recall
ever having a wait less than 10 minutes. Also, given the atmosphere of
the place (which is very fast-food like) the wait *feels* even longer.
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.restaurants,ba.food

Al Eisner wrote:

> Definitely, I've seen 20 minute waits at In-n-Out. And I don't recall
> ever having a wait less than 10 minutes. Also, given the atmosphere of
> the place (which is very fast-food like) the wait *feels* even longer.

Don't know which In-and-Out that was, but I've seen them serve 50 orders inside
20 minutes with a wait from order to serve on the order of five minutes. Must
depend on the location and the manager.