Posted to rec.food.restaurants,nyc.food,nyc.general

Default Shoney's: Not exactly Manhattan cuisine!eheeee

Note to self: the next time you shlep to FLA by car, skip Shoney's
in Walterboro, SC! LOL! To those of you who are unaware,
Shoney's is a Southeastern restaurant chain. While the
breakfast buffet was good, the rest of the dining experience
was unsettling: dry steak, beverages that had a bitter
aftertaste, and a manager who believed that he was
overseeing a 4-star restaurant in Manhattan! LOL! I could
not believe it: he actually came over and asked how
everything was?eh I was afraid to tell him, lest I wanted
to end up tied to a tree and forced to squeal like a pig!ehee
-D, NYC "If food were a competitive sport, New York City
would have more gold medals than anywhere else in the world"
- TRACY NIEPORENT, Myriad Restaurant Group/NYC &
Company Restaurant Committee Chair.."New Yorkers spend
$11 billion a year eating out, making NY the restaurant capital
of the world" - JANE'S NY: RESTAURANTS (Jane Hansen,
NBC 4 NY - NBC World Headquarters at Rockefeller Center
- hub of broadcasting: home to Dateline, Nightly News with Brian
Williams,
SNL, The Today Show, Late Night With Conan O'Brien).."New York City
has
the zoo, aquarium, museums, fashion center, diamond center, U.N.,
Statue of Liberty; and it's got the Yanks and the Mets; and it's got
every kind of food but lousy; and it's the home of the one-namers
like
Harrison, Dustin, Calvin, Katie, Rosie, Bianca, Bernadette, Matt,
Bryant,
Vanessa, Julia, Halle, Gwyneth, Donald, Ivana, Puffy" - CINDY ADAMS
(umpteenth sweet, Jewish NYer, NY POST - oldest, continuously
published newspaper in America; founded by one of our founding
fathers
Alexander Hamilton).."In New York, even if you're Catholic, you're
Jewish. If
you live in Butte, Montana (or Walterboro, SC!eh), you're going to be
Goyish, even if you're Jewish!" eh - LENNY BRUCE (b. Leonard Alfred
Schneider, LI, NY - umpteenth sweet, Jewish NYer)

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 00:46:38 -0700, Darrin > wrote:

>Note to self: the next time you shlep to FLA by car, skip Shoney's
>in Walterboro, SC

If you are implying that all dining in NYC is Michelin Guide
rated over seven...I got news for you!! You have some garbage
holes that rats wouldn't be seen in. The only benefit...they are all
crammed together on one island. Convenient for walking!!

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Aug 9, 7:34?am, Ward Abbott > wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 00:46:38 -0700, Darrin > wrote:

> >Note to self: the next time you shlep to FLA by car, skip Shoney's
> >in Walterboro, SC>

> If you are implying that all dining in NYC is Michelin Guide
> rated over seven...I got news for you!! You have some garbage
> holes that rats wouldn't be seen in. The only benefit...they are all
> crammed together on one island. Convenient for walking!!

A Walterboro resident I presume? LOL! While every major city has its
rat holes,
not every major city is The Cuisine Capital of the World. NYC IS!
Home to miles of food to explore from hundreds of nations. If you
can't
find it in NY, you won't find it anywhere! Home to 26,000+
restaurants,
The Food Network, Rachel Ray, Restaurant Week (aka Taste of The
Nation,
sponsored by American Express), Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italy,
The Art
Institute of NY, the finest chefs and celebrity-owned restaurants on
the planet,
highest concetration of food & media outlets, from cookbook and
magazine
publishers to television. The sushi's tastier here than in Tokyo, the
crossiants
flakier than in Paris, the duck more succulent than in Peking. And our
pizza?
Fugghedabboudit!ehe From Gabonese to Kosher Chinese, nothing compares
to NY, in the number of chances one has to discover something new and
delicious!
-D, NYC "New York City is the central home for this entire planet. The
Olympics
draws contestants from all countries. Wherever they come from we've
got a family
for them, a neighborhood for them, a group who speak their language,
cook their food,
support their religion, understand their needs. We have someone for
everyone" - JUDGE JUDY
(umpteenth sweet, Jewish NYer).."Bagels are doughnuts will a college
education -
and the college is probably Yeshiva!" ehe - LEO ROSTEN (sweet
humorist).."I think NY
restaurants sets a trend for the rest of the world. There's no other
place that has the
diversity and the experience of the chefs and restaurants that NYC
has" - STEPHEN P.
HANSON, P.R. Guest Restaurants.."I am constantly impressed by the
number of
restaurants that open in NY in a year..even a month's time. The
quality..the fact that
there's such a huge community that supports these new restaurants" -
BARBARA FAIRCHILD,
Bon Appetit.."NYC - 8 million or so people..5 boroughs..international
mix of people..it has been the hubbub of nightlife activity and
restaurants for 50-100 years" - JAMES OLIVER CURY,
Time Out Magazine.."Stay home. Marry the girl next door. Open a
restaurant there..New York
doesn't need any more restaurants. America does." - SHELLEY FIREMAN
(sweet),
NYC Restaurateur, owner of Cafe' Fiorello, Tratoria Dell'Arte,
Shelly's, Brooklyn Diner,
Redeye Grill, and Bond 45.."But it was a brief scene in "Klute," a
1971 thriller directed
by Alan J. Pakula (sweet NYer) and starring Jane Fonda as a high-
priced call girl and Donald Sutherland as a private detective, that
ignited Mr. McNally's (restaurateur) yearning to come to New York.
"It's the
middle of a hot Manhattan night, and Jane Fonda and Donald Sutherland
are on some steamy downtown street corner buying groceries," Mr.
McNally recalled of the film. "The idea that in New York one could do
this at 2 in the morning, as opposed to what one presumed Fonda and
Sutherland had been doing until 2 in the morning, verged on the
exotic to me." It was one tiny element in the scene - "the brown
paper
bags that each of Fonda's groceries were packed into" - that most
caught
Mr. McNally's eye. "I've loved those brown paper bags ever since," he
said, "but separating the idea of them from sex with Jane Fonda has
been difficult. It's probably why I do so much shopping" - IN THE
DARK,
BIG CITY DREAMS By JAMES SANDERS.."In 1905, Gennaro Lombardi,
who moved from Naples to Little Italy in 1905, opened the nation's
first
licensed pizzeria, Lombardi's Coal Oven Pizzaria Napoletana, on Spring
Street,
using his grandfather's dough recipe. New York invented the pizza
parlor-style
pizza by serving slices instead of a whole pie, and allowing
customers
to watch bakers in the front of the store instead of hiding them in
the back. The art of making pizza dough is a New York City attraction
in itself. It wasn't until the 1960s that pizza bakers first began
twirling and tossing dough for an audience. New York City has more
pizzerias than any other American city" - LITTLE BIG BOOK OF NEW
YORK
"If you're eating a bagel that is perfectly round, with a symmetrical
hole smack dab in the center, then you are not eating an authentic
New York City bagel. Bagels are boiled and then baked to produce a
crispy
outer crust and a chewy inside, and never have a uniform shape. New
York City bagels are said to be different (and better!) than all
other bagels because the quality of New York City water creates a
specific
consistency unlike that produced in all other regions. The world
"bagel" is thought to derive from the Yiddish "beygel," and the
German "bugel," meaning a round loaf of bread. Whatever the history,
whatever the topping, a bagel is the ultimate New York City breakfast
food. -
IBID .."An Egg Cream is a New York specialty that has been around
since the
1930s. Contrary to what the name suggests, there is no egg in an egg
cream.
When made properly, it has a foamy froth on top that resembles beaten
egg
whites or the foam form a cappuccino" - IBID

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:33:47 -0700, Darrin > wrote:

>....The sushi's tastier here than in Tokyo, the crossiants [sic]
>flakier than in Paris....

Gee, thanks a lot for the New York ad. But who's going to take the
word of a numbnuts who's stupid enough to go to Shoney's for a steak?

Yes, NewYork has an incredible array of food offerings. Yes, it has
H&H Bagels. But it also flies in a lot of things from overseas. Check
where Artisanal gets many of its cheeses, for example.

And on the particular subject of croissants, baguettes and the like,
fuggedaboutit indeed -- you can't touch Paris. Not only that, but many
of us -- my wife and I included -- would take Paris over NYC every day
of every year. And Bologna. And San Francisco.

And while we're at it, I love NY pizza -- but I like the pizza in
Europe in general more. Their crust is a more significant -- and
flavorful -- participant in the event.

-- Larry (from Jersey, ex-NYC resident...)

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Aug 9, 9:22?pm, pltrgyst > wrote
wrote:

> >....The sushi's tastier here than in Tokyo, the crossiants [sic]
> >flakier than in Paris....>

> Gee, thanks a lot for the New York ad. But who's going to take the
> word of a numbnuts who's stupid enough to go to Shoney's for a steak?

Simply because I had no choice! eh I wasn't about to drive 19 hrs
straight, so I chose two locations to stay overnight. Keep in mind,
both locations had to accept pets!! The first was in VA, the second
was in SC. Walterboro is a virtual ghost town! eh Since the motel was
right near Shoney's, why the hell not?! ehe This Boy from New York
City wanted to try something different!eh I didn't go there intending
to eat steak! Now I know why they overdid it with the mash & gravy!
LOL! Sidenote: on the wack back, I frequented Steak 'N' Shake out in
Georgia! ehe Leave it up to Southerners to market the mixing of meat &
milk! ehee Little tasteless green steak burgers and Mcdonald's sized
fries! Unfknblvbl! eheeeee

> Yes, NewYork has an incredible array of food offerings. Yes, it has
> H&H Bagels. But it also flies in a lot of things from overseas. Check
> where Artisanal gets many of its cheeses, for example.>
> And on the particular subject of croissants, baguettes and the like,
> fuggedaboutit indeed -- you can't touch Paris. Not only that, but many
> of us -- my wife and I included -- would take Paris over NYC every day
> of every year. And Bologna. And San Francisco

Bull dreck! eh Europeans can't even make a decent deli sandwich!eh NY
Kosher Deli
is stacked like a Cadillac!ehe You'd be hard pressed to find three
strips of
pastrami on their sandwiches. eh They're too busy eating porridge! eh
Why else
did we break free from British rule?eh We couldn't stand such bland
food!eh Sorry,
but I've Been All Around The World (I, I, I eh), and nothing shall
ever compare to the quality
and selection of food that NYC has to offer. It's also about 24/7
amenities. NYC is 25 hrs,
because in New York, 24 is never enough!eh I can live just as easily
at 3am as I can
at 3pm, with everything at my disposal. NYC truly IS The City That
Never Sleeps!

> And while we're at it, I love NY pizza -- but I like the pizza in
> Europe in general more. Their crust is a more significant -- and
> flavorful -- participant in the event.
> -- Larry (from Jersey, ex-NYC resident...)

Go ahead, convince yourself! LOL! Right back at ya (eh): Now why would
I take the word of a transplant who's now living in a subservient
appendage of the Greatest City in the World?eheh LOL! Larry, what
happened?eh You had to shlep out to Cop Land because you couldn't make
it here?eh Ol' Blue Eyes was right! eh -D, NYC "During the early
1900s, when hundreds of thousands of Eastern European Jews emigrated
to America and settled in New York City, they brought their family
recipes for knishes. Knishes were made at home until Yonah Schimmel, a
rabbi from Romania, began to sell them at Coney Island ("America's
First Amusement Park") and from a pushcart on the Lower East Side. In
1910, he opened a knish bakery on East Houston Street, where it still
remains today" - LITTLE BIG BOOK OF NEW YORK.."Chop Suey is based on a
Cantonese term for "odds and ends" or "mixed pieces" and a dish that
does not exist in China.
There are numerous theories regarding the origins of Chop Suey. The
most widely accepted is that the dish was created in New York City in
1896 when Chinese ambassador Li Hung Chang was sent by the Chinese
Emperor to meet with President Grover Cleveland to strengthen US/
China relations. When Chang threw a party, his personal cook prepared
a bland meal, reminiscent of a Chinese-style dish, to satisfy both
the American and Chinese palates" - IBID.."New York City is a
friendly old town, from Washington Heights to Harlem on down" - BOB
DYLAN (b. Zimmerman, sweet Jew, "Voice of a Generation," Top
100 selling artist of all-time).."Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's
got a winning team - BILLY JOEL (insert you know what here!eh)
"Between 1892 & 1924, 16 million immigrants entered America through
Ellis Island - 71 % of all immigrants in the United States - seeking
freedom
of speech, freedom of religion, and economic opportunities" - IBID
"Jews always know two things: suffering & where to find great Chinese
food!" eh - MY
FAVORITE YEAR (1982).."New York is where I'd rather stay. I get
allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view. Darling, I love you but give me Park
Avenue.
The chores! (The stores!), Fresh air! (Times Square!)" - GREEN ACRES
THEME
"The trouble with New York is it's so convenient to everything I can't
afford!" eh -
JACK BENNY (b. Kubelsky, sweet Jew).."I moved into my apartment
Sept. 10. In one day I saw the worst but also the best of New York.
Its
people are glorious, marvelous. The best. First-run movies? We got
it. Tops in theater? We got it. Ballet, opera, circus, concerts. More
culture here, more in the way of arts than anywhere in the world. New
York is the Athens of today" - MATT DAMON.."More history happened in
New York than in any other place in the nation" - KENNETH T. JACKSON,
Columbia University Professor, Encyclopedia of New York.."From New
York - the greatest city in the world" - LATE SHOW WITH DAVID
LETTERMAN (Ed Sullivan theatre - placed the Beatles on the musical
map).."The extraordinary European Jews who emigrated to New York
were enriching the city's intellectual life with an intensity that has
probably never been
equaled anywhere during a comparable period of time. I was raised
largely by these Jews...They were my teachers; they were my
employers;
they were my friends. They introduced me to a world of books and
ideas
that I didn't know existed" - MARLON BRANDO (excerpt from "Songs My
Mother Taught Me").."If I'd lived in Roman times, I'd have lived in
Rome. Where else?
Today America is the Roman Empire and New York is Rome itself" - JOHN
LENNON
(one of NY's most famous adoptive sons, Strawberry Fields Memorial,
Central Park -
world's most famous recreational park).."My mom was Jewish, so some
would call me Jewish. My background is very much that style of
writing,
Neil Simon (sweet NYer) and Mel Brooks (sweet Nyer), and 'Your Show
of
Show' guys are what I grew up loving. So, I probably drew on my New
York background and my Jewish background for that, sure" - MATTHEW
BRODERICK (umpteenth sweet, Jewish NYer).."New York is the only real
city-city" - TRUMAN CAPOTE.."You know, the more they knock New York,
the bigger it gets!" - WILL ROGERS.."From sea to shining sea..and
coast to coast..
somewhere in the middle..is the land I love the most..I ain't
California pretty..I can't
survive the Great White Way..I'm too dumb for New York City - and too
ugly or LA" - eh WAYLON JENNINGS.."Have you seen the well-to-do..up &
down Park Avenue..on that famous thoroughfare...with there noses in
the
air...puttin' on the ritz.." - IRVING BERLIN (sweet Jew, b. Israel
Isidor Baline, raise in NYC).."I laid a divorcee in New York City
- I had to put up some kind of fight" - ROLLING STONES..."Of all the
ambitions of the great unpublished, the one that is strongest, the
most
abiding, is the ambition to get to New York. For these, New York is
the
pointe de depart, the pedestal, the niche, the indispensible vantage
ground" - FRANK NORRIS.."New York is simply a distillation of the
United
States, the most of everything, the conclusive proof that there is an
American civilization. New York is casual, intellectual, subtle,
effective,
and devastatingly witty. But her sophisticated appearance is the
thinnest of veneers. Beneath it there is power, virility,
determination and
sense of destiny." - RAYMOND F. LOEWY.."New York City sits bold and
beautiful, brash and bounteous, a Big Apple, representing the best
the country and people have to offer. Never has there been a city
like
it, nor will there be again...It's a city of achievers, often beset
by
adversity, but never bested by circumstances" - JOHN CLEMENTIS, New
York Facts

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:31:34 -0700, Darrin > wrote:

>Bull dreck! eh Europeans can't even make a decent deli sandwich!eh NY
>Kosher Deli is stacked like a Cadillac!

I'm a Katz's guy, myself. And kosher is for the camera store staff -- I'll take
the French food up in Hell's Kitchen.

>... NYC truly IS The City That Never Sleeps!

You can't afford to, with the people you put in Gracie Mansion.

>> -- Larry (from Jersey, ex-NYC resident...)

>Go ahead, convince yourself! LOL! Right back at ya (eh): Now why would
>I take the word of a transplant who's now living in a subservient
>appendage of the Greatest City in the World?eheh LOL! Larry, what
>happened?

Actually, I said I'm *from* Jersey. But I've been either living or spending lots
of time in NYC -- including down at Cortlandt Street, before those ugly WTC
towers were ever built -- since the late 1950's.

I now live in DC -- the actual capital of the free world, with no water in our
nice, clean, safe subway system.

It's DC that is supposed to have penis envy toward NYC, and the Washington Post
toward the NY Times. What are you so defensive about? 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Aug 10, 1:09?am, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:31:34 -0700, Darrin > wrote:

> >Bull dreck! eh Europeans can't even make a decent deli sandwich!eh NY
> >Kosher Deli is stacked like a Cadillac!>ehe

> I'm a Katz's guy, myself. And kosher is for the camera store staff -- I'll take
> the French food up in Hell's Kitchen.

Legendary Katz's! eh Featured in the film When Harry Met Sally, ala
the orgasm scene! The same Katz's, where the World War II era slogan,
"Send a Salami to Your Boy in the Army" originated. It's been on the
Lower East Side since 1888.

> >... NYC truly IS The City That Never Sleeps!>

> You can't afford to, with the people you put in Gracie Mansion.>

Now, now! You leave our 4th Jewish Mayor alone! eh A billionaire to
boot who pays for his own Manhattan townhouse digs! eh It has often
been said that being NY's Mayor is only
second to the President, in terms of exposure. Why else did The Fab 4
choose it to begin their invasion?eh

> >> -- Larry (from Jersey, ex-NYC resident...)>

> >Go ahead, convince yourself! LOL! Right back at ya (eh): Now why would
> >I take the word of a transplant who's now living in a subservient
> >appendage of the Greatest City in the World?eheh LOL! Larry, what
> >happened?>

> Actually, I said I'm *from* Jersey. But I've been either living or spending lots
> of time in NYC -- including down at Cortlandt Street, before those ugly WTC
> towers were ever built -- since the late 1950's.>

Do you know sweet, Jewish Donald Fagen of Steely Dan fame?eh He too is
NJ-NY transplant!ehe

> I now live in DC -- the actual capital of the free world, with no water in our
> nice, clean, safe subway system.>

Yes, Bklynites (4th largest city in the US, "home to everyone from
everywhere") had a rare tornado touch down the other day!eh DC &
safe!? LOL! Unless you reside in the White House, there is no such
thing! ehe How many times has it made the Murder Capital list?eh
Whereas NYC contains to remain the safest, largest city in the nation.
Has been since 1993: http://www.tinyurl.com/234vsm

> It's DC that is supposed to have penis envy toward NYC, and the Washington Post
> toward the NY Times. What are you so defensive about? 8> -- Larry

The tip of the Empire State Building is the greatest circumcised
shmeckle in the world!ehe
The NY Times ("All the news that's fit to print") is the most
prestigious periodical in the world, winning a whopping 90 Pulitzer
Prizes. Not defensive. At the same time, I shouldn't have to be forced
to defend the obvious! ehe -D, NYC "It was so easy living day by day -
out of touch with the rhythm and blues - but now I need a little give
and take - The New York Times, The Daily News" - BILLY JOEL (umpteenth
sweet, Jewish NYer - Top 100 selling artist of all-time).."He was born
a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas day - when the New York Times said
God is dead" - ELTON JOHN.."We can try to understand the New York
Times' effect on man" - BEE GEES.."New York City has the most
skyscrapers in the world with more than 130" - LITTLE BIG BOOK OF NEW
YORK.."What a fabulous, fun, smart post! I haven't been reading these
ngs for very long but sometimes I come across the comments and ritings
of people who have these wonderfully quick and lively minds, full of
fun and that ability to see sideways and around
things and sometimes, just old-fashioned brilliant. It's so great to
read and laugh and enjoy that spark!!" - CORDELIA LEAR (online user
describing yours truly!eheh).."I want to know who I am. I was brought
up in New York as an Episcopalian. I believe there was Jewish blood
on
my mother's side. Grandfather Maurice Klein came from Budapest
at age fourteen and worked in a sweatshop here. To me it says, Jewish
family. It's disturbing that here I am, a grownup, and I have no idea
who I am. Everybody who can tell me is dead" - ALI MACGRAW
"No other American city is so intensely American as New York" -
ANTHONY TROLLOPE, North America.."New York, you are an Egypt!
But an Egypt turned inside out. For she erected pyramids of slavery
to death, and you erect pyramids of democracy with the vertical
organpipes of your skyscrapers all meeting at the point of infinity
of liberty!" - SALVADOR DALI.."The city of New York, the noblest of
the American symbols" - JAMES MORRIS.."Imagine a world without
New York City - the terrorists already have!" - ROBERT F. KENNEDY JR
"{I am} just a nice Jewish girl from New York. Going back through my
life now, the Jewish family feeling stands proud and strong, and at
least I can say I am glad I sprang from that. I would not trade those
roots - that identity" - LAUREN BACALL (b. Betty Perske, from her
memoirs,
Lauren Bacall by Herself, 1979).."Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and
Staten..from
the Battery to the top of Manhattan..Asian, Middle-Eastern and
Latin..Black,
White, New York - you make it happen" - BEASTIE BOYS (umpteenth sweet,
Jewish
NYers - first successful all- white rap/rock group).."All the folks in
Manhattan
are sad, because they look at her and wish they had..the good old
Brooklyn
Bridge" - FRANK SINTARA (penned by Sammy Cahn (b. Cohen, sweet NYer)
and
Jule Styne (sweet Yiddish British).."It's not hard, not far to reach -
we can
hitch a ride to Rockaway Beach" - RAMONES (fathers of punk, Joey
Ramone
(b. Jeffrey Hyman, Queens, NY - umpteenth sweet, Jewish NYer)

Mushrooms in Manhattan ImStillMags General Cooking 31 25-10-2011 06:41 PM
Shoney's Broccoli Casserole Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 25-08-2006 10:55 AM
Manhattan Cocktail [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-09-2005 03:10 AM
Shoney's Pot Roast 7Hawks Recipes 0 09-11-2004 01:56 AM
Shoney's Strawberry Pie Linda1 Recipes (moderated) 0 03-01-2004 12:15 AM