berry

Default Roy's - in Austin,TX

Any comments on this restaurant?

Thanks.

From my Austin.eats archive:

"Article 7706 of austin.food:
From: Scott >
Newsgroups: austin.food
Subject: Roy Henry's Famous Waffles & Chicken
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 17:58:23 -0500

I found myself at Roy Henry's Famous Waffles and Chicken (1815 W. Ben
White) this past weekend. It's not a combination I'm accustomed to, but
after having ordered one of the house's special plates, I'm sure I've
found one of the better examples of waffles and fried chicken in Austin.

The place was nearly empty when my intrepid dining partner and I got
there around 11 pm. The small building, reportedly a former fried
chicken chain restaurant, was spotless and pleasant (in spite of the
odd, green tint from the neon around the top of the dining area).

We were seated and almost immediately introduced to Roy Henry himself. I
got the impression that he wasn't there around the clock, but certainly
would be if he didn't have another full-time job. His pitch was soft but
sincere, so I bought it.

Of course, I had to go for the combination plate that included one
waffle and one thigh. Since I got the impression vegetables were also
important at Roy Henry's, I opted for the yam casserole. My partner
chose a more traditional combo of 2 waffles and a large link of sausage.

The waffles are the thin sort (as opposed to the Belgian sort), and
tasted of cinnamon and ginger. Topped with the pre-melted butter from a
little metal creamer-type pitcher (another unfamiliar custom, but what
the heck) and syrup, these waffles were good. The fried chicken was a
giant, meaty thigh and the coating was crispy, tasty and sensibly
applied. The chicken was a little drier than expected, but also very
tasty.

The sausage was one of the better "breakfast" sausages I've had from a
place that doesn't specialize in the stuff. I don't eat a lot of
sausage, but I liked it more than the little greasy Bob Evans links and
patties you find elsewhere.

One of the two minor disappointments of the meal was the yam casserole.
It was too nutmeg-y for me to eat much of the mountain of stuff that
came as a standard side dish. The other is that silly
no-free-soda-refill policy that will hopefully change in the future.

It's a bit of a drive from downtown for late-night eats, but if you're
in the area, it's worth checking out.

Cheers
Scott
"

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:
>On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:47:25 GMT,
(berry)
>wrote:
>
>>Any comments on this restaurant?

>You could try austin.food, but last time it was mentioned, only
>one person responded and said it was good.
>
>It's a relatively unknown restaurant in Austin for some reason.
>I've been here four years and never heard of it.
>
>-sw

MK

about refills:
I'm currently debating my refill policy. Should I charge more for
everyone's drink and give "free" refills?
I currently sell a refill, any size for .50 . Current prices are .83 for 14
OZ , .97 for 2O OZ, 1.20 for 32 OZ and 1.29 for 44 OZ. This is quick
service.
mk
> wrote in message ...
> From my Austin.eats archive:
>
> "Article 7706 of austin.food:
news-client.cwru.edu!usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu!hermes.visi.co m!news-out.visi.com
> !newspeer.monmouth.com!news-feeds.jump.net!news.jump.net!not-for-mail
> From: Scott >
> Newsgroups: austin.food
> Subject: Roy Henry's Famous Waffles & Chicken
> Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 17:58:23 -0500

GMT)

> I found myself at Roy Henry's Famous Waffles and Chicken (1815 W. Ben
> White) this past weekend. It's not a combination I'm accustomed to, but
> after having ordered one of the house's special plates, I'm sure I've
> found one of the better examples of waffles and fried chicken in Austin.
>
> The place was nearly empty when my intrepid dining partner and I got
> there around 11 pm. The small building, reportedly a former fried
> chicken chain restaurant, was spotless and pleasant (in spite of the
> odd, green tint from the neon around the top of the dining area).
>
> We were seated and almost immediately introduced to Roy Henry himself. I
> got the impression that he wasn't there around the clock, but certainly
> would be if he didn't have another full-time job. His pitch was soft but
> sincere, so I bought it.
>
> Of course, I had to go for the combination plate that included one
> waffle and one thigh. Since I got the impression vegetables were also
> important at Roy Henry's, I opted for the yam casserole. My partner
> chose a more traditional combo of 2 waffles and a large link of sausage.
>
> The waffles are the thin sort (as opposed to the Belgian sort), and
> tasted of cinnamon and ginger. Topped with the pre-melted butter from a
> little metal creamer-type pitcher (another unfamiliar custom, but what
> the heck) and syrup, these waffles were good. The fried chicken was a
> giant, meaty thigh and the coating was crispy, tasty and sensibly
> applied. The chicken was a little drier than expected, but also very
> tasty.
>
> The sausage was one of the better "breakfast" sausages I've had from a
> place that doesn't specialize in the stuff. I don't eat a lot of
> sausage, but I liked it more than the little greasy Bob Evans links and
> patties you find elsewhere.
>
> One of the two minor disappointments of the meal was the yam casserole.
> It was too nutmeg-y for me to eat much of the mountain of stuff that
> came as a standard side dish. The other is that silly
> no-free-soda-refill policy that will hopefully change in the future.
>
> It's a bit of a drive from downtown for late-night eats, but if you're
> in the area, it's worth checking out.
>

> Cheers
> Scott
> "
>
> In article >,
> Steve Wertz > wrote:
> >On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:47:25 GMT,
(berry)
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Any comments on this restaurant?

> >You could try austin.food, but last time it was mentioned, only
> >one person responded and said it was good.
> >
> >It's a relatively unknown restaurant in Austin for some reason.
> >I've been here four years and never heard of it.
> >
> >-sw

Andrew Hardy

"MK" > wrote:

>about refills:
>I'm currently debating my refill policy.

Learned long ago....order water. Charge me for a refill.....out the door
faster than the last stoned dishwasher you HAD to fire.

pltrgyst

Try Roy's [Yamaguchi] Restaurant, not Roy Henry's... 8

-- Larry

On 5 Mar 2004 12:07:19 GMT, wrote:

>From my Austin.eats archive:
>
>"Article 7706 of austin.food:
>From: Scott >
>Newsgroups: austin.food
>Subject: Roy Henry's Famous Waffles & Chicken
>Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 17:58:23 -0500
>

>I found myself at Roy Henry's Famous Waffles and Chicken (1815 W. Ben
>White) this past weekend. It's not a combination I'm accustomed to, but
>after having ordered one of the house's special plates, I'm sure I've
>found one of the better examples of waffles and fried chicken in Austin.
>
>The place was nearly empty when my intrepid dining partner and I got
>there around 11 pm. The small building, reportedly a former fried
>chicken chain restaurant, was spotless and pleasant (in spite of the
>odd, green tint from the neon around the top of the dining area).
>
>We were seated and almost immediately introduced to Roy Henry himself. I
>got the impression that he wasn't there around the clock, but certainly
>would be if he didn't have another full-time job. His pitch was soft but
>sincere, so I bought it.
>
>Of course, I had to go for the combination plate that included one
>waffle and one thigh. Since I got the impression vegetables were also
>important at Roy Henry's, I opted for the yam casserole. My partner
>chose a more traditional combo of 2 waffles and a large link of sausage.
>
>The waffles are the thin sort (as opposed to the Belgian sort), and
>tasted of cinnamon and ginger. Topped with the pre-melted butter from a
>little metal creamer-type pitcher (another unfamiliar custom, but what
>the heck) and syrup, these waffles were good. The fried chicken was a
>giant, meaty thigh and the coating was crispy, tasty and sensibly
>applied. The chicken was a little drier than expected, but also very
>tasty.
>
>The sausage was one of the better "breakfast" sausages I've had from a
>place that doesn't specialize in the stuff. I don't eat a lot of
>sausage, but I liked it more than the little greasy Bob Evans links and
>patties you find elsewhere.
>
>One of the two minor disappointments of the meal was the yam casserole.
>It was too nutmeg-y for me to eat much of the mountain of stuff that
>came as a standard side dish. The other is that silly
>no-free-soda-refill policy that will hopefully change in the future.
>
>It's a bit of a drive from downtown for late-night eats, but if you're
>in the area, it's worth checking out.
>

>Cheers
>Scott
>"
>
>In article >,
>Steve Wertz > wrote:
>>On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:47:25 GMT,
(berry)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Any comments on this restaurant?

>>You could try austin.food, but last time it was mentioned, only
>>one person responded and said it was good.
>>
>>It's a relatively unknown restaurant in Austin for some reason.
>>I've been here four years and never heard of it.
>>
>>-sw

Fun in Austin Villanueva General Cooking 0 25-10-2015 12:49 AM
Fun in Austin Cheri[_3_] General Cooking 0 24-10-2015 03:49 PM
So, I went to Austin picz77 Barbecue 4 30-10-2008 04:07 AM
Austin, TX BBQ? Barbecue 20 13-11-2006 10:14 PM
anyone been to austin TXZZ Sushi 2 22-10-2005 05:15 AM