Underdunk

Default drinks with your meal at a "classy" restaurant

Don't know anything about wine but I don't wanna order a coke either.
Suggestions?
Andrew Hardy

Underdunk > wrote:

>Don't know anything about wine but I don't wanna order a coke either.
>Suggestions?

Ask your server...or real classy restaurant....ask the sommelier.

SlipperySlope

Underdunk wrote:

> Don't know anything about wine but I don't wanna order a coke either.
> Suggestions?

Water.

Underdunk > wrote:
> Don't know anything about wine but I don't wanna order a coke either.
> Suggestions?

If you're looking for a suggestion on which wine to order with
a meal, you need to discuss that with your waiter or the somaliere (sp?)
if one is available. Your choices depend entirely on which wines the
restaurant where you are dining has in stock, the price you are willing
to pay, and the food you intend to order.

Robert Klute

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 05:11:18 GMT, Underdunk
> wrote:

>Don't know anything about wine but I don't wanna order a coke either.
>Suggestions?

Initally, go back to the basics. Red wine with red meats (this includes
Mushroom based dishes) and white wines with white meats (chicken, fish,
vegetarian). Order the house red/white. If you are eating Italian,
then the house chianti.

Won't be great, won't be sophisticated, but it will acceptable.

If you want to learn more, there are
books (even the Wall Street Journal has an introduction to wine),
websites ( http://www.wineandleisure.com/wine101.html ),
local wine merchants,
all sorts of sources out there.

Often the local newspaper will run a weekly section on wine if there is
a local wine industry.