Gerry

Default Imitation Food

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:54:14 -0800, Gerry >
> wrote:

> >> I have a lot of vietnamese co-workers and they say pho isn't really
> >> consdered a soup. That certainly coincides with my interpretation of
> >> the menus I've seen as well. Soups and Pho are listed separately.
> >> The broth is meant to add liquid to the dish, but it's often left
> >> behind, or drank separately from the rest of the dish.
> >>
> >> The inclusion of the obligatory table salad that accompanies the pho,
> >> just as it does the other non-soup entrees, may also give some
> >> credibility to that theory. IME, the actual soups are usually
> >> thicker, heartier, and more stew-like.
> >>
> >> But it's not worth arguing about :-)

> >We already ARE arguing about it.

> Well then, do carry on without me.

I meant that facetiously, but I'll be glad to oblige.

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.
Gerry

Default Pho (was Imitation Food)

In article <HRwIb.707782$Fm2.613812@attbi_s04>, Shatto
> wrote:

> All soba broth are made from fish broth whether you like or not.

In that case me like. Actually I was thinking of the dipping sauce.
And that too is dashi as well and therefore a "fish broth".

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.
-- Gail Collins
Chris Morton

In article >, Gerry says...

>In article >, Chris Morton
> wrote:
>
>> The one on Bagley Rd. in Middleburg Heights is pretty bad. I once
>> went there around midnight after a Japanese class at Cuyahoga
>> Community College. I ordered chili. What I got was a bowl of beans
>> and ground beef... and that was it. No sauce or liquid of any kind.

>An intrepid explorer--the guy who buys chili someplace he's never been.
>I did that a few times and then realized I wanted to see my 30th year
>of life.

The problem was that I HAD been there, and probably had the chili, REAL chili
previously. That particular Denney's is wildly variable in quality, even for
the same visit. I got decent fish and chips (or whatever) recently, while the
guy I was with got what he considered hideously awful tuna salad. The one on
Lorain Rd. in North Olmsted across from the Bob Evans is a lot more consistently
edible.

>> Of course the WORST Denney's in the US is in Fremont, OH. You can
>> wait an hour for a burger at 4am with nobody else ordering. Of
>> course the food's wretched no matter how long it takes to prepare.
>> It's quite possibly the worst Denney's in the world, but I can't
>> honestly say, since I've never eaten in a Denney's in Japan.

>It seems I recall actually seeing a Denny's in Ueno in Tokyo. Can't
>say I tried it. But I have tried a number of what could be thought of
>as chain breakfast places. Surprisingly we didn't dash in to see what
>they had. Now as I think of it, it probably would have been funny.

A friend who was in the same Japanese class with me had lived in Japan and eaten
in the Denney's there. She said the food was ok; there were just some typical
Japanese oddities on the menu.

--
Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women should have to fistfight with 210lb.
rapists.

Karl Hungus

"Chris Morton" > wrote in message

> I first ate at Hardees in Fulton, MO in '76. Worst fast food I'd EVER

had.

> From then on, every ten years or so, I eat at a Hardees. That assessment

never
> changes.
>
> I ate at one on the Indiana turnpike recently. While it wasn't make you

sick
> disgusting, it was still worse than every other fastfood chain I regularly

eat
> at, from McDonalds to Taco Bell.

Have you seen their new ad campaign? It's basically, "we know we've always
sucked, but we're working on it." The actual tagline is "The last place
you'd ever go for a burger will become the first."

They seem to feel they something for which they must atone . . .

--
> Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women should have to fistfight with

210lb.
> rapists.

Chris Morton

In article <pWMIb.19146$I07.53221@attbi_s53>, Karl Hungus says...

>"Chris Morton" > wrote in message
>
>> I first ate at Hardees in Fulton, MO in '76. Worst fast food I'd EVER

>had.
>>
>> From then on, every ten years or so, I eat at a Hardees. That assessment

>never
>> changes.
>>
>> I ate at one on the Indiana turnpike recently. While it wasn't make you

>sick
>> disgusting, it was still worse than every other fastfood chain I regularly

>eat
>> at, from McDonalds to Taco Bell.

>Have you seen their new ad campaign? It's basically, "we know we've always
>sucked, but we're working on it." The actual tagline is "The last place
>you'd ever go for a burger will become the first."
>
>They seem to feel they something for which they must atone . . .

They've got a LOT to atone for!

Now if I could only find some excuse to go to Fulton, MO to see if The Spot is
still there... Maybe a trip to Graf & Sons for reloading supplies....

--
Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women should have to fistfight with 210lb.
rapists.

Karl Hungus

"Chris Morton" > wrote in message

> >> From then on, every ten years or so, I eat at a Hardees. That

assessment
> >never
> >> changes.
> >>
> >> I ate at one on the Indiana turnpike recently. While it wasn't make

you
> >sick
> >> disgusting, it was still worse than every other fastfood chain I

regularly
> >eat
> >> at, from McDonalds to Taco Bell.

> >Have you seen their new ad campaign? It's basically, "we know we've

always
> >sucked, but we're working on it." The actual tagline is "The last place
> >you'd ever go for a burger will become the first."
> >
> >They seem to feel they something for which they must atone . . .

> They've got a LOT to atone for!
>
> Now if I could only find some excuse to go to Fulton, MO to see if The

Spot is
> still there... Maybe a trip to Graf & Sons for reloading supplies....

I'm not familiar with "The Spot", but we've got as many places to buy
reloading supplies here in Florida as we do gas stations.

And that's a *good* thing . . .