FoodBanter.com

-   Restaurants (https://www.foodbanter.com/restaurants/)
-   -   WARNING (https://www.foodbanter.com/restaurants/12641-warning.html)

George J Bateman 09-12-2003 09:47 PM

WARNING

Please Be Extremely Careful especially if using Internet mail such as

Yahoo, Hotmail and so on. This information arrived this morning from

Microsoft and Norton.

Please send it to everybody you know who accesses the Internet. You may

receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation "Life

is beautiful. pps". If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY

CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately.

If you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: "It is

too late now, your life is no longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE

EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to

your name, e-mail and password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.

WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS . AOL has already

confirmed the severity, and the antivirus Software's are not capable of

destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself

"life owner".

PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS. PASS IT ON

dolo 09-12-2003 10:02 PM

Hoax warning - WARNING

"George J Bateman" > wrote in
:

Hoax
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/life.htm

Please don't mail it to everyone you know.

Here is some information on how to spot email hoaxes:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...htm?once=true&
http://www.claymania.com/hoaxes.html

If you want information about viruses, try an anti-virus company, I like
this one:
http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/_new.shtml

I have nothing to to with the company, not even a customer, but it's a good
reference page.

HTH.
d.

[email protected] 14-12-2003 03:11 PM

WARNING

George J Bateman > wrote:
> Please Be Extremely Careful especially if using Internet mail such as

> Yahoo, Hotmail and so on. This information arrived this morning from

> Microsoft and Norton.

When will people learn that Microsoft Windows IS THE VIRUS.

Those who continue to use a corrupt operating system will eventually get
what's coming to them in my humble opinion.

Use Mac OS X if you want a reliable OS without the huge cost of
maintaining Microcrap WIndows.

Floyd Farcus 14-12-2003 04:38 PM

WARNING

wrote:

>Use Mac OS X if you want a reliable OS without the huge cost of
>maintaining Microcrap WIndows.

What is the huge cost? I don't recall any........

[email protected] 15-12-2003 01:05 AM

WARNING

Floyd Farcus > wrote:
> wrote:

>>Use Mac OS X if you want a reliable OS without the huge cost of
>>maintaining Microcrap WIndows.

> What is the huge cost? I don't recall any........

The cost is in the value of time and resources dealing with the Microsoft
security vulnerability du jour. This cost becomes particularly high in
organizations and businesses who own a large number of computers, esp. if
the problem causes a network shutdown or severe network performance
degredation.

Floyd Farcus 15-12-2003 12:28 PM

WARNING

wrote:

>The cost is in the value of time and resources dealing with the Microsoft
>security vulnerability du jour.

If everyone used a Mac....then there would be a problem. That would be the
platform for hackers. Obviously, they don't think the Mac is worth the time
and trouble. Most people, i.e. business, industry don't think Mac is their
best choice either.

Why is this posting going on in rec.food.restaurants?

[email protected] 16-12-2003 12:24 PM

WARNING

Floyd Farcus > wrote:
> wrote:

>>The cost is in the value of time and resources dealing with the Microsoft
>>security vulnerability du jour.

> If everyone used a Mac....then there would be a problem. That would be the
> platform for hackers. Obviously, they don't think the Mac is worth the time
> and trouble. Most people, i.e. business, industry don't think Mac is their
> best choice either.

That's only speculation. There are numerous other operating systems that
are less common than Mac OS X that catch hackers' attention such as
Solaris and Red Hat Linux, both of which have hackers kits for them.

> Why is this posting going on in rec.food.restaurants?

Beats me. I did not start this thread.

Floyd Farcus 17-12-2003 02:25 AM

WARNING

wrote:

>That's only speculation.

Your argument is only speculation.

.......your proctologist called
and.... your head has been found.

George J Bateman 24-12-2003 08:51 PM

WARNING

It is not the virus it is a mistake i made when i got an email that was a
hoax
Im new to this OK.