FoodBanter.com

-   Restaurants (https://www.foodbanter.com/restaurants/)
-   -   Chef Tell Kitchen; celebrity kitchen designer? (https://www.foodbanter.com/restaurants/12636-chef-tell-kitchen-celebrity.html)

Michelle 07-12-2003 03:10 AM

Chef Tell Kitchen; celebrity kitchen designer?

I was wondering if anyone out there in the has ever heard of the
celebrity kitchen designer Stephen Rabinowitz?? I want to find out if
it is just a fluke that my mother-in-law knew of him correctly as the
designer of Chef Tell's kitchen that was on TV. He evidently designed
one of Frank Sinatra's kitchens too. I was looking on eBay for
something to give my husband who is a chef and wants to get our home
kitchen redone and it seems like it would be great to have a design
for our future kitchen done by him. My husband always talks about how
kitchens are poorly designed and how you can't just have Home Depot
design your kitchen on
a computer videogame and expect to get a well thought-out design....

I am skeptical to bid because I want this to be a perfect gift.
Although at $300 for hand-drafted design, it seems like I should jump
on it.

This designer evidently gives speeches all over the world about "ill
conceived kitchen designs." It looks like he will design one person's
kitchen in a while as he is in his 60s now (he studied Frank Lloyd
Wright and Aero Saarinan in the 1950s and onward at Yale I think) and
has attained a level of success.

I like how my husband not only would be working with him continually
until he is satisfied with the design but we will use this expensive
gift for a long time, probably many years until we move.

Any thoughts??

Floyd Farcus 07-12-2003 02:36 PM

(Michelle) wrote:

>This designer evidently gives speeches all over the world about "ill
>conceived kitchen designs." It looks like he will design one person's
>kitchen in a while as he is in his 60s now (he studied Frank Lloyd
>Wright and Aero Saarinan in the 1950s and onward at Yale I think) and
>has attained a level of success.

Have you "noticed" that the drawings are Poggenpohl?

Poggenpohl U.S., Inc. operates more than 20 high-end flagship showrooms
nationally, featuring beautiful life-size luxury cabinetry displays. Please
visit one of our exclusive design showroom locations first-hand to see our
elegant, pioneering designs that repeatedly set standards, and to consult a
personal Poggenpohl Designer.

Our dedicated and experienced Designers will closely guide you through every
step of your home renovation project, whether you are looking to remodel your
kitchen, build a new bathroom vanity, or create shelving for a home library. In
addition to various innovative and functional cabinetry solutions, the finest
appliances can be tailored to your Poggenpohl design. Signature Poggenpohl
cabinet accessories for organizing supplies and utensils can also be purchased
from our showrooms. Our designs are not limited to kitchens - most anything is
possible with Poggenpohl.

To visit one of Poggenpohl’s flagship showrooms please select your desired
location on the map.

http://www.poggenpohl-usa.com/index.htm

It appears that his name is just on a drawing....not necessarily meaning that he
is going to make you life better. Sounds like a con job since and quoting the
eBay ad

--This listing has been created by Mr. Rabinowitz's agent, M. Daniel Johansen.

Something makes me think this is nothing more than a fishing expedition for new
clients and you pay the finders fee! Elizabeth Taylor no more makes perfume
than M. Daniel Johansen designs kitchens using Rabowinitz's name.

Michelle 08-12-2003 08:08 PM

Chef Tell Kitchen; celebrity kitchen designer?

Yes, the Chef Tell kitchen was a Poggenpohl, but I understand that
Poggenpohl was considerably "CHEAPENED" after being acquired -- yuse a
lot of contact paper instead of laminate, etc. Is that true?

Also, you are right that Elizabeth Taylor doesn't pour the perfume in
to the bottles, but in this case I called the telephone number and
spoke to the designer himself.

Michelle 08-12-2003 08:08 PM