Old 25-11-2003, 04:43 PM
AlterDad

Default Salerno Restaurants

Any suggestions for really nice restaurants in Salerno, Italy? My
wife and I will be going out to dinner with friends and family for our
29th weding anniversary.

Old 26-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Vilco \(out\)

AlterDad wrote:
Any suggestions for really nice restaurants in Salerno, Italy?

My
wife and I will be going out to dinner with friends and family

for our
29th weding anniversary.

Hi, I will translate for you some posts from
it.discussioni.ristoranti, the italian newsgroup about
restaurants. if you or soem friends can read italian, check it
out.

they are both from Fabio Fiorillo, a native of the area now
living (IIRC) in Rome, and very active in testing famous italian
restaurants and writing his detailed opinions to the NG.

Restaurant Cenacolo - Visited: 10 january 2003
Undoubtedly, and since many years, the best address in town.
Surely, the only one to constantly offer a medium-high level
kitchen and a good selection of raw materials. It is located in
front of the 11th century Cathedral, in the centre of the city.
The only hall is length-stratched and gives room to no more than
35 persons.
The cutlery, table laying and glasses are good-level ones.
We are 2, they serve us the menus, listing 5 or 6 appetizers,
same quantity of first-courses and 4 fish-based main courses and
5 meat-based courses.
There's no desserte menu (later voice presented).
We choose from the menus, but there are also "full guided-menus".
1) My appetizer is a classic "parmigiana di alici": fried and
browned anchovies filled with mozzarella cheese, with tomato
sauce and grated parmigiano-reggiano on the dish. Good sish,
undoubtedly.
1a) My table companion instead chooses fried pumpkin flowers,
filled with ricotta cheese, saying they're very good.
2) As a first-course I choose crespelle (like french crepees)
with apple and pork filling, in chocolate & chestnut sauce. A
risky combination even if, all things considered, a well result
2a) my companion instead chooses "linguine" (like flat-section
spaghetti) with crabs and sea-food un a beans-velute'. Good
raw-materials, slightly made heavy by the beans.
3) as a main-course (due to the sea-storms there was only 1 dish
course available) I take a beef fillet with anchovies sauce. The
meat is from the breeder Cecchini (and you can feel it) but the
sauce didn't seem me so much a good outcome.
3a) the other table companion orders a sea-bream fillet in orange
sauce. Good, but here, too, the sauce did someway cover the
excellent raw material.
4) Our dessert has been a good "pastry-custard" pie with
caramelized sauce.
We drank a Cometa Planeta white wine (25 euro) and a Passito from
"Cantina del taburno", offered by the restaurant. Overall
expense: 25 euros for each of us.
A good experience in a very scarce local area where, I must
repeat, good kitchen is not well considerde and there are mainly
pizzeria's and low-cost restaurants.
The place has been rated 15/20 on the Restaurant Guide of the
Newspaper Espresso and 79/100 by the Gambero Rosso guide.

Another one is "La Caravella" in Amalfi. Some creativity and a
solid kitchen technic. It is a bit more expensive (80 euro per
person) and is slightly better awarded by the guides: 16/20 for
Espresso, 84/100 for Gambero Rosso, the "best restaurant in the
south of Italy" for Edoardo Raspelli (a famous restaurant-hotel
guide writer).

Other than these two restaurants, by looking at the newsgroup I
think there's not so much else to look for in the area.

Regards, and good travel,
Vilco

Old 01-12-2003, 08:45 PM
AlterDad

Vilco,

Thank you very much for your two suggestions. I checked the Michelin
Guide and Al Cenacolo in Salerno is closed 24 Dec - 2 Jan Our wedding
anniversary is 29 Dec., so we probably will try La Caravella in
Amalfi.

Grazie,
Bruce

"Vilco \(out\)" wrote in message ...
AlterDad wrote:
[...]

best fast food restaurants |local fast food restaurants Shanvi Shanu Beer 0 17-12-2016 01:10 PM
Don't Eat in Restaurants Unless You Want to Die [email protected] General Cooking 43 03-05-2009 06:06 AM
ID Restaurants PENMART01 General Cooking 6 20-10-2004 06:27 PM
Restaurants PENMART01 General Cooking 2 07-01-2004 12:14 AM
Top LA Restaurants hh Restaurants 2 29-12-2003 07:09 PM