RL

Default New Orleans restaurant recommendations sought

I will be in New Orleans for about a week toward the end of November,
and would be grateful for recommendations of restaurants, sandwich
shops and cafes.

I am particularly interested in homey, informal, authentic places that
cater primarily to local residents, rather than high-end, touristy
restaurants.

I will be staying at the New Orleans Marriott, 555 Canal Street, so
recommendations that are convenient to that location are particularly
welcome, but I am willing to travel for something worthwhile.

RL

Please reply to this newsgroup only.
Michael Sierchio

RL wrote:
> I will be in New Orleans for about a week toward the end of November,
> and would be grateful for recommendations of restaurants, sandwich
> shops and cafes.
>
> I am particularly interested in homey, informal, authentic places that
> cater primarily to local residents, rather than high-end, touristy
> restaurants.

Mandina's!

pltrgyst

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:38:55 GMT, > wrote:

>I am particularly interested in homey, informal, authentic places that
>cater primarily to local residents, rather than high-end, touristy
>restaurants.

High end, mix of locals and tourists, off the beaten path (not French
Quarter), only big name chef in NO who's in his kitchen every night,
fabulous: Brigtsen's. Homey 'cause it's in a house.

High end, mix of locals and tourists, off the beaten path (not French
Quarter), mainly husband-and-wide operation: Gabrielle.

Terrific French neighborhhod, very few tourists, decently hard to
find, and the one place we eat every time we're in NO: La Crepe Nanou.

If you want to avoid the most tourists, just stay away from the
Brennans' empire.

-- Larry

MareCat

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:07:01 -0800, Michael Sierchio
> wrote:

>RL wrote:
>> I will be in New Orleans for about a week toward the end of November,
>> and would be grateful for recommendations of restaurants, sandwich
>> shops and cafes.
>>
>> I am particularly interested in homey, informal, authentic places that
>> cater primarily to local residents, rather than high-end, touristy
>> restaurants.

>Mandina's!

Damn! You beat me to it!
Richard Kaszeta

> writes:
> I will be in New Orleans for about a week toward the end of November,
> and would be grateful for recommendations of restaurants, sandwich
> shops and cafes.
>
> I am particularly interested in homey, informal, authentic places that
> cater primarily to local residents, rather than high-end, touristy
> restaurants.

I end up in New Orleans a lot on business, and have gotten rather
tired of the tourisy places, but still have some favorites. For
inexpensive good eats:

Mother's, 401 Poydras, a few blocks north of Harrah's. Get the
"Debris Po-boy" for lunch, or the ham biscuit for breakfast.
Absolutely, positively my first stop every time I pass through NO.

If you're in the French Quarter, it's hard to avoid touristy places,
but if you're looking for something a little less touristy in that
area, I usually like Remoulade (corner of Bienville and Bourbon).
It's a lower-key restaurant from the folks that run Arnaud's.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

bijoudog

I heartily agree with the Brigtsen's recommendation. It is high end, but
very comfortable, friendly, out of the way, and the chef is almost always
there.

The Praline Connection had pretty down to earth food, nice lunch there.

"RL" > wrote in message
> I will be in New Orleans for about a week toward the end of November,
> and would be grateful for recommendations of restaurants, sandwich
> shops and cafes.
>
> I am particularly interested in homey, informal, authentic places that
> cater primarily to local residents, rather than high-end, touristy
> restaurants.
>
> I will be staying at the New Orleans Marriott, 555 Canal Street, so
> recommendations that are convenient to that location are particularly
> welcome, but I am willing to travel for something worthwhile.
>
> RL
>
> Please reply to this newsgroup only.

RL

Many thanks to all who responded to this query.

RL

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:38:55 GMT, > wrote:

>I will be in New Orleans for about a week toward the end of November,
>and would be grateful for recommendations of restaurants, sandwich
>shops and cafes.
>
>I am particularly interested in homey, informal, authentic places that
>cater primarily to local residents, rather than high-end, touristy
>restaurants.
>
>I will be staying at the New Orleans Marriott, 555 Canal Street, so
>recommendations that are convenient to that location are particularly
>welcome, but I am willing to travel for something worthwhile.
>
>RL
>
>Please reply to this newsgroup only.

Please reply to this newsgroup only.
Leigh Ann

> wrote in message >. ..
> I will be in New Orleans for about a week toward the end of November,
> and would be grateful for recommendations of restaurants, sandwich
> shops and cafes.
>
> I am particularly interested in homey, informal, authentic places that
> cater primarily to local residents, rather than high-end, touristy
> restaurants.
>
> I will be staying at the New Orleans Marriott, 555 Canal Street, so
> recommendations that are convenient to that location are particularly
> welcome, but I am willing to travel for something worthwhile.
>
> RL
>
> Please reply to this newsgroup only.

For a local sandwich shop, you can't go wrong with Masparo's across
from Jax's Brewery. A lot of tourists but I know locals that are
always willing to wait in line for a great muffeletta.

LA
El stinky

RL wrote:

> I am particularly interested in homey, informal, authentic places that
> cater primarily to local residents, rather than high-end, touristy
> restaurants.

Verdi Mart isn't a restaurant but a 24 hour market with the best poboys i've
ever had. Best enjoyed seated on the curb across the street

it's on the NE corner of Royal and Gov. Nichols

--
Home Of The Tiltwheel