Mat

Default 'russian' table service

Greetings

Could anyone offer a definition or website reference as to what 'Russian'
table service is?

Many thanks

Mat

Robert Klute

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:50:19 -0000, "Mat"
> wrote:

>Greetings
>
>Could anyone offer a definition or website reference as to what 'Russian'
>table service is?

Derived from http://www.foodreference.com/html/frussianservice.html

Russian service was introduced about 1810. Each course is served to
each guest individually.

French service was generally used up until the 1850's. Under this
method, the courses ( upto 30 or more ) were brought to the table in 2
or 3 parts, with all of the dishes of each part would be placed on the
table at once.

Today, French service refers to restaurant service where a waiter does
the serving of the food onto each guests plate, frequently with
tableside preparation.

Chef!

Russian service or 'a la russe', as I remember, refers to where the courses
are part prepared in the kitchen and finished off on the dining room on a
guerridon ( a movable sideboard) by the Station waiters. Typically, it
could be to joint a whole roast chicken or fillet a grilled dover sole. It
can also involve some lampwork e.g. 'Crepes Suzzette'.