BW

Default restaurant thrills

I'm researching the thrill of food. I'm looking through all the sub
groups in rec.food looking for answers. Can you help answer the
specific question "What thrills you about restaurants?"

Is it the thrill of accidentally finding a fantastic new place to eat,
watching an amazing chefs create your meal, or the taste explosion of
fabulous food. Or maybe the restaurant has been an important element
to some other thrilling life event – marriage proposal, surprise
birthday party, or a chance encounter… The possibilities are endless.

I am a research fellow at the Royal College of Art, England. As part
of my current work I'm trying to find out what thrills people, how and
why. I'm aiming to create a stimulating resource of material to
inspire new design work.

As part of the process, I'm taking time to travel across the Google
User Groups and read past articles about the thrill of that particular
interest. Some interesting past articles have popped up in R.F.R . I'd
like to know more about your experiences of thrill related in some way
to your passion for restaurants.

I invite anyone at R.F.R take a short interview. The result will be
published on the website www.chromo11.com, along with a growing
collection of other interviews from all walks of life. You can see the
interview at www.chromo11.com/interview16 along with instructions on
how to complete it. (it can be done off-line).

We can talk further in this user-group (please be patient at it takes
me a couple of days to revisit each group) - but it's most
constructive to have any comments put forward in the interview format.
Even though this isn't scientific research, the interview is
constructed to help me understand your experiences.

I hope you can help, I think it'll make a fantastic edition to the
growing thrill collection.

Thanks

Brendan Walker
+44 (0)20 7590 4573
www.chromo11.com/interview16
BW

> Frankly, I eat to live.....NOT live to eat. Most people would not eat in a
> restaurant if they knew exactly what and how things can happen to their meal.

I'm intrigued. Like what...
Anthony

"Bubbalicious" > wrote in message
Most people would not eat in a
> restaurant if they knew exactly what and how things can happen to their

meal.

LOL. You got that right! Mind you it also applies to food you buy in the
shops, so if you want to be sure that nothing gross happened to what you're
eating better become a farmer.

tgreen

(BW) wrote in message om>...
> I'm researching the thrill of food. I'm looking through all the sub
> groups in rec.food looking for answers. Can you help answer the
> specific question "What thrills you about restaurants?"
>
> Is it the thrill of accidentally finding a fantastic new place to eat,
> watching an amazing chefs create your meal, or the taste explosion of
> fabulous food. Or maybe the restaurant has been an important element
> to some other thrilling life event ? marriage proposal, surprise
> birthday party, or a chance encounter? The possibilities are endless.
>
> I am a research fellow at the Royal College of Art, England. As part
> of my current work I'm trying to find out what thrills people, how and
> why. I'm aiming to create a stimulating resource of material to
> inspire new design work.
>
> As part of the process, I'm taking time to travel across the Google
> User Groups and read past articles about the thrill of that particular
> interest. Some interesting past articles have popped up in R.F.R . I'd
> like to know more about your experiences of thrill related in some way
> to your passion for restaurants.
>
> I invite anyone at R.F.R take a short interview. The result will be
> published on the website
www.chromo11.com, along with a growing
> collection of other interviews from all walks of life. You can see the
> interview at www.chromo11.com/interview16 along with instructions on
> how to complete it. (it can be done off-line).
>
> We can talk further in this user-group (please be patient at it takes
> me a couple of days to revisit each group) - but it's most
> constructive to have any comments put forward in the interview format.
> Even though this isn't scientific research, the interview is
> constructed to help me understand your experiences.
>
> I hope you can help, I think it'll make a fantastic edition to the
> growing thrill collection.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brendan Walker
> +44 (0)20 7590 4573
> www.chromo11.com/interview16

Interesting subject. Personally, I love to go out to eat. Quality of
food/menu selection, creative preparation, ambiance, and good service
are all of utmost importance to me. I don't just go out to eat for
the food - I go out for the experience. Particularly if I am going to
a nice restaurant where I am going to pay a lot of money. I want to
leave feeling completely satisfied, full but not stuffed, and as if I
just had an evening of pleasure. I also like it when the restaurant
introduces me to something new - a new preparation style, a new
combination of food, a new salad dressing, or a new drink. I don't
want the same old thing...I want to have an experience! For example,
I was recently at a very nice bar in Manhattan and was served a
delicious new cocktail. I ordered my usual vodka and cranberry and
the waiter suggested I try Danzka - a grapefruit vodka. It was
delicious and I've seen it popping up at several social events since
then. That is just the type of thing I am talking about - if a waiter
takes initiative to suggest a new spin on a traditional item, then I'm
impressed!