Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Default Baltimore restaurants

We will be attending a conference in Baltimore, MD in early November. We
will be staying in the downtown area, near the inner harbor. I'd like to
get suggestions for good places to dine while we are there. We enjoy all
kinds of food, and particularly love to go to new and unusual places.

Thanks in advance.

Sheila

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:29:54 GMT, "WhansaMi" > wrote:

>We will be attending a conference in Baltimore, MD in early November. We
>will be staying in the downtown area, near the inner harbor. I'd like to
>get suggestions for good places to dine while we are there. We enjoy all
>kinds of food, and particularly love to go to new and unusual places.

Hmmm -- we just drove in from Baltimore a few minutes ago, having spent my
birthday weekend up there.

Cindy Wolf's Charleston offers the best food in the city in most foodies'
opinions.

A close second is Corks, in Federal Hill. Wonderful wines, great cheeses,
outstanding food. Trust Chris, the sommelier, to both feed and set you up with
appropriate wines, and you'll have a terrific evening. (This is the only
restaurant in the entire US in which I am willing to place myself entirely in
the hands of a sommelier for wine selection.)

The Baltimore outpost of Roy's, right across the square from Charleston, is
excellent -- one of his best. His fusion food, both the several Roy's standard
dishes and his local executive chef's creations, are always interesting. (I
think we've now been to every Roy's in the lower 48, including the one [Denver]
that has since closed... 8 )

Peter's Inn and Hamptons are also very good.

The Brass Elephant is better than Zagat would have you believe.

Wolf's Petite Louis, on the north side of town, is a fun place for traditional
French bistro food.

Skip anything in Little Italy. While there are many decent places, there's
nothing intersting there, nothing that you can't equal or beat in any large
city.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:29:54 GMT, "WhansaMi" > wrote:
>
>>We will be attending a conference in Baltimore, MD in early November. We
>>will be staying in the downtown area, near the inner harbor. I'd like to
>>get suggestions for good places to dine while we are there. We enjoy all
>>kinds of food, and particularly love to go to new and unusual places.

> Hmmm -- we just drove in from Baltimore a few minutes ago, having spent my
> birthday weekend up there.
>
> Cindy Wolf's Charleston offers the best food in the city in most foodies'
> opinions.
>
> A close second is Corks, in Federal Hill. Wonderful wines, great cheeses,
> outstanding food. Trust Chris, the sommelier, to both feed and set you up
> with
> appropriate wines, and you'll have a terrific evening. (This is the only
> restaurant in the entire US in which I am willing to place myself entirely
> in
> the hands of a sommelier for wine selection.)
>
> The Baltimore outpost of Roy's, right across the square from Charleston,
> is
> excellent -- one of his best. His fusion food, both the several Roy's
> standard
> dishes and his local executive chef's creations, are always interesting.
> (I
> think we've now been to every Roy's in the lower 48, including the one
> [Denver]
> that has since closed... 8 )
>
> Peter's Inn and Hamptons are also very good.
>
> The Brass Elephant is better than Zagat would have you believe.
>
> Wolf's Petite Louis, on the north side of town, is a fun place for
> traditional
> French bistro food.
>
> Skip anything in Little Italy. While there are many decent places, there's
> nothing intersting there, nothing that you can't equal or beat in any
> large
> city.
>
> -- Larry

Thanks, Larry. I've run off this post, and will put it in the folder with
the rest of the material for the trip.

Sheila

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:29:54 GMT, "WhansaMi" > wrote:
>
>>We will be attending a conference in Baltimore, MD in early November. We
>>will be staying in the downtown area, near the inner harbor. I'd like to
>>get suggestions for good places to dine while we are there. We enjoy all
>>kinds of food, and particularly love to go to new and unusual places.

> Hmmm -- we just drove in from Baltimore a few minutes ago, having spent my
> birthday weekend up there.
>
> Cindy Wolf's Charleston offers the best food in the city in most foodies'
> opinions.
>
> A close second is Corks, in Federal Hill. Wonderful wines, great cheeses,
> outstanding food. Trust Chris, the sommelier, to both feed and set you up
> with
> appropriate wines, and you'll have a terrific evening. (This is the only
> restaurant in the entire US in which I am willing to place myself entirely
> in
> the hands of a sommelier for wine selection.)
>
> The Baltimore outpost of Roy's, right across the square from Charleston,
> is
> excellent -- one of his best. His fusion food, both the several Roy's
> standard
> dishes and his local executive chef's creations, are always interesting.
> (I
> think we've now been to every Roy's in the lower 48, including the one
> [Denver]
> that has since closed... 8 )
>
> Peter's Inn and Hamptons are also very good.
>
> The Brass Elephant is better than Zagat would have you believe.
>
> Wolf's Petite Louis, on the north side of town, is a fun place for
> traditional
> French bistro food.
>
> Skip anything in Little Italy. While there are many decent places, there's
> nothing intersting there, nothing that you can't equal or beat in any
> large
> city.
>
> -- Larry

Larry, just reading your posting today, I'm wondering if you've ever been to
Pazo's.
It's been rated pretty good in reviews, and may be in Little Italy -- or on
the edge of Little Italy.
The architecture is interesting -- an old machine shop. Excellent and
varied menu - Service par excellence.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:59:20 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"pltrgyst" > wrote in message

>> Cindy Wolf's Charleston offers the best food in the city in most foodies'
>> opinions.
>> Wolf's Petite Louis, on the north side of town, is a fun place for
>> traditional French bistro food.

>Larry, just reading your posting today, I'm wondering if you've ever been to
>Pazo's.
>It's been rated pretty good in reviews, and may be in Little Italy -- or on
>the edge of Little Italy.
>The architecture is interesting -- an old machine shop. Excellent and
>varied menu - Service par excellence.

Pazo is the most recent creation of Cindy Wolf and her husband, Tony
Foreman, on Aliceanna St. near Charleston (sort of in between Little
Italy and Fells Point. It's much more Foreman's place than Wolf's. It
offers Meditteranean cuisine, with a very clubby (DJ, etc.) evening
atmosphere.

We tried it when it opened a couple of years ago. The food was decent,
but the atmosphere didn't really suit us -- we prefer quieter places
where the emphasis is more on food, wine, and audible conversation.
8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:59:20 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
>>"pltrgyst" > wrote in message

>>> Cindy Wolf's Charleston offers the best food in the city in most
>>> foodies'
>>> opinions.
>>> Wolf's Petite Louis, on the north side of town, is a fun place for
>>> traditional French bistro food.

>>Larry, just reading your posting today, I'm wondering if you've ever been
>>Pazo's.
>>It's been rated pretty good in reviews, and may be in Little Italy -- or
>>on
>>the edge of Little Italy.
>>The architecture is interesting -- an old machine shop. Excellent and
>>varied menu - Service par excellence.

> Pazo is the most recent creation of Cindy Wolf and her husband, Tony
> Foreman, on Aliceanna St. near Charleston (sort of in between Little
> Italy and Fells Point. It's much more Foreman's place than Wolf's. It
> offers Meditteranean cuisine, with a very clubby (DJ, etc.) evening
> atmosphere.
>
> We tried it when it opened a couple of years ago. The food was decent,
> but the atmosphere didn't really suit us -- we prefer quieter places
> where the emphasis is more on food, wine, and audible conversation.
> 8
>
> -- Larry

Thanks, Larry. Next time we'll probably try Cindy Wolf's Charleston. Thanks
for the information about that. I didn't know that when I posted this email.
Coincidence.

It was very crowded when we were there, on a Wednesday -- we finished eating
about 9pm, but we heard no music being played.

OT: We were worried about having left some valuables in the car when we
left it with valet parking at Pazo's. Everything was in place when we got it
back; but staying at the Renassaince Harbor Place that night which had a
great parking place, plenty of lighting, the next morning when we came to
get our car to go to a clinic for physicals at 8am, the passenger window had
been smashed into. We had taken mostly all things out of the car, but
nothing was taken, not even coats in the back seat.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 21:53:45 -0500, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:59:20 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
>> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message

>>> Cindy Wolf's Charleston offers the best food in the city in most
>>> foodies'
>>> opinions.
>>> Wolf's Petite Louis, on the north side of town, is a fun place for
>>> traditional French bistro food.

>> Larry, just reading your posting today, I'm wondering if you've ever
>> been to
>> Pazo's.
>> It's been rated pretty good in reviews, and may be in Little Italy --
>> or on
>> the edge of Little Italy.
>> The architecture is interesting -- an old machine shop. Excellent and
>> varied menu - Service par excellence.

> Pazo is the most recent creation of Cindy Wolf and her husband, Tony
> Foreman, on Aliceanna St. near Charleston (sort of in between Little
> Italy and Fells Point.

how the hell does this woman get so much coverage

> It's much more Foreman's place than Wolf's. It
> offers Meditteranean cuisine, with a very clubby (DJ, etc.) evening
> atmosphere.
>
> We tried it when it opened a couple of years ago. The food was decent,
> but the atmosphere didn't really suit us -- we prefer quieter places
> where the emphasis is more on food, wine, and audible conversation.
> 8
>
> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 04:13:14 GMT, marika > wrote:

>> Pazo is the most recent creation of Cindy Wolf and her husband, Tony
>> Foreman, on Aliceanna St. near Charleston (sort of in between Little
>> Italy and Fells Point.

>how the hell does this woman get so much coverage

By offering excellent quality, innovative food in a city that's mostly devoid of
the same.

-- Larry