Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default Strawberry Smoothie Recipe

This strawberry smoothie should be made with organic ingredients to
enjoy a complete healthy fruit smoothie.

The ingredients make 1 smoothie of about 2 cups (500 ml)

It is very simple and outmost delicious.

INGREDIENTS

* 6 + 1/3 ounce (180 gr) fresh strawberry
* 6 + 1/3 ounce (180 gr) plain white yogurt
* 3 + 1/2 ounce (100 gr) ice cubes
* 1 + 3/4 (50 gr) brown sugar

PREPARATION

Just place all ingredients in the cup of an electric blender, milkshake
maker or food processor and blend until smooth.

Stef
How to make more healthy smoothies at:
http://www.theskinnycook.com/fruit-smoothie-recipes

Posted to alt.food.recipes

It can be! Every year the local community near where I live host a bicycle
race in August, called the "Hotter than Hell 100". My guess is that most of
the participants would perish if they didn't load up on starches, sugar and
fluids. Brown sugar metabolizes differently than white sugar and if your
that concerned substitute honey, nutri sweet or whatever you prefer.
http://www.hh100.org/

"Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sugar is not healthful.
>
> In ps.com,
> > stated
> | This strawberry smoothie should be made with organic ingredients to
> | enjoy a complete healthy fruit smoothie.
> |
> | The ingredients make 1 smoothie of about 2 cups (500 ml)
> |
> | It is very simple and outmost delicious.
> |
> | INGREDIENTS
> |
> | * 6 + 1/3 ounce (180 gr) fresh strawberry
> | * 6 + 1/3 ounce (180 gr) plain white yogurt
> | * 3 + 1/2 ounce (100 gr) ice cubes
> | * 1 + 3/4 (50 gr) brown sugar
> |
> | PREPARATION
> |
> | Just place all ingredients in the cup of an electric blender,
> | milkshake maker or food processor and blend until smooth.
> |
> | Stef
> | How to make more healthy smoothies at:

http://www.theskinnycook.com/fruit-smoothie-recipes

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Nonsense, sugar is sugar, you just go ahead and keep stuffing it down and
watch your feet fall off from diabetes.

In m,
Muddle > stated
| It can be! Every year the local community near where I live host a
| bicycle race in August, called the "Hotter than Hell 100". My guess
| is that most of the participants would perish if they didn't load up
| on starches, sugar and fluids. Brown sugar metabolizes differently
| than white sugar and if your that concerned substitute honey, nutri
| sweet or whatever you prefer. http://www.hh100.org/

Posted to alt.food.recipes

You don't GET diabetes from eating sugar.

"Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
> Nonsense, sugar is sugar, you just go ahead and keep stuffing it

down and
> watch your feet fall off from diabetes.
>
> In m,
> Muddle > stated
> | It can be! Every year the local community near where I live

host a
> | bicycle race in August, called the "Hotter than Hell 100". My

guess
> | is that most of the participants would perish if they didn't

load up
> | on starches, sugar and fluids. Brown sugar metabolizes

differently
> | than white sugar and if your that concerned substitute honey,

nutri
> | sweet or whatever you prefer. http://www.hh100.org/

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Over time a high carb diet contributes to diabetes.

In m,
June Geraci > stated
| You don't GET diabetes from eating sugar.
|
| "Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
|| Nonsense, sugar is sugar, you just go ahead and keep stuffing it
|| down and watch your feet fall off from diabetes.
|| In m,
|| Muddle > stated
||| It can be! Every year the local community near where I live host a
||| bicycle race in August, called the "Hotter than Hell 100". My guess
||| is that most of the participants would perish if they didn't load up
||| on starches, sugar and fluids. Brown sugar metabolizes differently
||| than white sugar and if your that concerned substitute honey, nutri
||| sweet or whatever you prefer. http://www.hh100.org/

Posted to alt.food.recipes

June Geraci wrote:
> You don't GET diabetes from eating sugar.
>
> "Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
>> Nonsense, sugar is sugar, you just go ahead and keep stuffing it

> down and
>> watch your feet fall off from diabetes.
>>
>> In m,
>> Muddle > stated
>> | It can be! Every year the local community near where I live

> host a
>> | bicycle race in August, called the "Hotter than Hell 100". My

> guess
>> | is that most of the participants would perish if they didn't

> load up
>> | on starches, sugar and fluids. Brown sugar metabolizes

> differently
>> | than white sugar and if your that concerned substitute honey,

> nutri
>> | sweet or whatever you prefer. http://www.hh100.org/

Most brown sugar today is NOT brown sugar! It is white sugar sprayed
with a coating of caramelized white sugar.
Regards
Lee
Posted to alt.food.recipes

While I will agree that diet can be a contributing factor in the
development of type 2 diabetes, I believe that there are more
tactful ways of advising people to watch their sugar intake than the
one you used. Many people who develop type 2 are obese, but that is
not the only factor, and scientists are still trying to pin down all
the reasons people get it. In my case, there was a genetic
predisposition for the development of type 2 - my father, my
grandmother, and one uncle developed diabetes later in life. I also
have chronic lung disease, which unfortunately required me to be on
corticosteroids for over thirty years. (I thank the developers of
Advair for finally making me prednisone-free!) While steroids
helped my breathing, they also weakened my bones, made me gain
weight, and raised my blood glucose levels. Being unable to breathe
made it difficult to be active, also adding to weight gain. High
blood pressure and high cholesterol are also contributors to the
development of type 2 - and both run in my family - again the
genetic predisposition.

Dessert was not on the dinner table every night when I was growing
up, nor was I given permission to chase the ice cream truck down the
street every day, so when people tried to accuse my mother of
"stuffing me with sugar" when I was a child, thus causing me to
develop diabetes, they were dead wrong.

Yes, the increased numbers of overweight children and adults, and
the sedentary lifestyle that usually accompanies it will cause more
and more people to develop this disease - it IS being called an
epidemic.

As far as overeating is concerned, that's a huge problem for many
people. If I order a pasta meal at a restaurant, I will also ask
for a takeout container, because my plate will generally have enough
for three full meals on it. Thanks to carbohydrate counting classes,
I can look at the meal and estimate how much I should eat. If my
blood glucose is good three hours after that meal, I know I did it
right! Unfortunately, most people will finish that plate, whether
they are a six foot tall man, or a five foot tall woman, or a ten
year old child!

Let's educate people, and not attack them. You'll get better
results that way. I met a young woman at a restaurant recently who
was totally lost as to how or what to eat. She had just been
diagnosed with pre-diabetes, but had been given no guidance. I
pulled out a card from the local branch of the Joslin Diabetes
Center and explained about all the classes available for her to
take, and the type of help she could expect from them.
Good health to you!!

"Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
. ..
> Over time a high carb diet contributes to diabetes.
>
> In m,
> June Geraci > stated
> | You don't GET diabetes from eating sugar.
> |
> | "Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
> || Nonsense, sugar is sugar, you just go ahead and keep stuffing

it
> || down and watch your feet fall off from diabetes.
> || In m,
> || Muddle > stated

host a

guess

load up

differently

nutri

Posted to alt.food.recipes

June Geraci wrote:
> While I will agree that diet can be a contributing factor in the
> development of type 2 diabetes, I believe that there are more
> tactful ways of advising people to watch their sugar intake than the
> one you used. Many people who develop type 2 are obese, but that is
> not the only factor, and scientists are still trying to pin down all
> the reasons people get it. In my case, there was a genetic
> predisposition for the development of type 2 - my father, my
> grandmother, and one uncle developed diabetes later in life. I also
> have chronic lung disease, which unfortunately required me to be on
> corticosteroids for over thirty years. (I thank the developers of
> Advair for finally making me prednisone-free!) While steroids
> helped my breathing, they also weakened my bones, made me gain
> weight, and raised my blood glucose levels. Being unable to breathe
> made it difficult to be active, also adding to weight gain. High
> blood pressure and high cholesterol are also contributors to the
> development of type 2 - and both run in my family - again the
> genetic predisposition.
>
> Dessert was not on the dinner table every night when I was growing
> up, nor was I given permission to chase the ice cream truck down the
> street every day, so when people tried to accuse my mother of
> "stuffing me with sugar" when I was a child, thus causing me to
> develop diabetes, they were dead wrong.
>
> Yes, the increased numbers of overweight children and adults, and
> the sedentary lifestyle that usually accompanies it will cause more
> and more people to develop this disease - it IS being called an
> epidemic.
>
> As far as overeating is concerned, that's a huge problem for many
> people. If I order a pasta meal at a restaurant, I will also ask
> for a takeout container, because my plate will generally have enough
> for three full meals on it. Thanks to carbohydrate counting classes,
> I can look at the meal and estimate how much I should eat. If my
> blood glucose is good three hours after that meal, I know I did it
> right! Unfortunately, most people will finish that plate, whether
> they are a six foot tall man, or a five foot tall woman, or a ten
> year old child!
>
> Let's educate people, and not attack them. You'll get better
> results that way. I met a young woman at a restaurant recently who
> was totally lost as to how or what to eat. She had just been
> diagnosed with pre-diabetes, but had been given no guidance. I
> pulled out a card from the local branch of the Joslin Diabetes
> Center and explained about all the classes available for her to
> take, and the type of help she could expect from them.
> Good health to you!!

June...... hear, hear!
Regards
Lee in Toronto
Posted to alt.food.recipes

At the risk of starting a fire storm here, there is a brown sugar
substitute, or if you aren't really into the brown sugar flavor, you can use
Equal or the sugar substitute you prefer.

"Lee Babcock" > wrote in message
> June Geraci wrote:
>> You don't GET diabetes from eating sugar.
>>
>> "Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
>>> Nonsense, sugar is sugar, you just go ahead and keep stuffing it

>> down and
>>> watch your feet fall off from diabetes.
>>>
>>> In m,
>>> Muddle > stated

>> host a

>> guess

>> load up

>> differently

>> nutri
>>> |

> Most brown sugar today is NOT brown sugar! It is white sugar sprayed with
> a coating of caramelized white sugar.
> Regards
> Lee

Posted to alt.food.recipes

A lot depends on what you do, whether you sit on a couch all day watching
soap operas or tend a backyard flower and vegetable garden. People need to
burn sugar and starches to remain healthy if they are active. The problem
is many people do absolutely nothing before, during or after eating sugar,
however that doesn't render sugar unhealthy, harmful or evil.
I have dangerously low cholesterol levels and have had numerous doctors tell
me to eat more eggs, oils, salmon etc. I'd probably be dead by now if I
listened to health nut's trying to convince me cholesterol isn't healthy.

"Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
> My objection was to calling a sugar laden drink "healthy". It may not be
> harmful for people of normal weight and good health to have an occasional
> drink like this, but they should not convince themselves that it is

healthy.

> In ,
> June Geraci > stated
> | While I will agree that diet can be a contributing factor in the
> | development of type 2 diabetes, I believe that there are more
> | tactful ways of advising people to watch their sugar intake than the
> | one you used. Many people who develop type 2 are obese, but that is
> | not the only factor, and scientists are still trying to pin down all
> | the reasons people get it. In my case, there was a genetic
> | predisposition for the development of type 2 - my father, my
> | grandmother, and one uncle developed diabetes later in life. I also
> | have chronic lung disease, which unfortunately required me to be on
> | corticosteroids for over thirty years. (I thank the developers of
> | Advair for finally making me prednisone-free!) While steroids
> | helped my breathing, they also weakened my bones, made me gain
> | weight, and raised my blood glucose levels. Being unable to breathe
> | made it difficult to be active, also adding to weight gain. High
> | blood pressure and high cholesterol are also contributors to the
> | development of type 2 - and both run in my family - again the
> | genetic predisposition.
> |
> | Dessert was not on the dinner table every night when I was growing
> | up, nor was I given permission to chase the ice cream truck down the
> | street every day, so when people tried to accuse my mother of
> | "stuffing me with sugar" when I was a child, thus causing me to
> | develop diabetes, they were dead wrong.
> |
> | Yes, the increased numbers of overweight children and adults, and
> | the sedentary lifestyle that usually accompanies it will cause more
> | and more people to develop this disease - it IS being called an
> | epidemic.
> |
> | As far as overeating is concerned, that's a huge problem for many
> | people. If I order a pasta meal at a restaurant, I will also ask
> | for a takeout container, because my plate will generally have enough
> | for three full meals on it. Thanks to carbohydrate counting classes,
> | I can look at the meal and estimate how much I should eat. If my
> | blood glucose is good three hours after that meal, I know I did it
> | right! Unfortunately, most people will finish that plate, whether
> | they are a six foot tall man, or a five foot tall woman, or a ten
> | year old child!
> |
> | Let's educate people, and not attack them. You'll get better
> | results that way. I met a young woman at a restaurant recently who
> | was totally lost as to how or what to eat. She had just been
> | diagnosed with pre-diabetes, but had been given no guidance. I
> | pulled out a card from the local branch of the Joslin Diabetes
> | Center and explained about all the classes available for her to
> | take, and the type of help she could expect from them.
> | Good health to you!!

Posted to alt.food.recipes

My problem with the recipe, is it would be better with wild strawberries.
Unfortunately you can't purchase them anywhere and domesticated strawberries
are breed for size not taste. If you were to spend 2 hours in the morning
sun picking 2 pints of wild strawberries in a horse pasture with an eastern
slope this would be the fabulous result of your efforts. Although, I'd
probably not use them in any health drink and build a strawberry shortcake
instead.

"Muddle" > wrote in message
m...
> [...]

> > | for a takeout container, because my plate will generally have enough
> > | for three full meals on it. Thanks to carbohydrate counting classes,
> > | I can look at the meal and estimate how much I should eat. If my
> > | blood glucose is good three hours after that meal, I know I did it
> > | right! Unfortunately, most people will finish that plate, whether
> > | they are a six foot tall man, or a five foot tall woman, or a ten
> > | year old child!
> > |
> > | Let's educate people, and not attack them. You'll get better
> > | results that way. I met a young woman at a restaurant recently who
> > | was totally lost as to how or what to eat. She had just been
> > | diagnosed with pre-diabetes, but had been given no guidance. I
> > | pulled out a card from the local branch of the Joslin Diabetes
> > | Center and explained about all the classes available for her to
> > | take, and the type of help she could expect from them.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

I tried growing alpine strawberries, which are tiny little things,
but the flavor was unbelievable. Unfortunately, now I live in an
apartment where my "garden" space is about the size of the top of my
desk! The strawberry crop here in southeastern Connecticut was not
very good in '05 due to weather conditions, and when I bought some
from a local berry farm they apologized because the berries were so
small. They may have been, but the flavor was SO intense! Lovely
things.

"Muddle" > wrote in message
> [...]

The problem
> > is many people do absolutely nothing before, during or after

eating sugar,
> > however that doesn't render sugar unhealthy, harmful or evil.
> > I have dangerously low cholesterol levels and have had numerous

doctors
> tell
> > me to eat more eggs, oils, salmon etc. I'd probably be dead by

now if I
> > listened to health nut's trying to convince me cholesterol isn't

healthy.

> > "Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
> > > My objection was to calling a sugar laden drink "healthy". It

may not
> be
> > > harmful for people of normal weight and good health to have an

> occasional
> > > drink like this, but they should not convince themselves that

Posted to alt.food.recipes

On 3 Aug 2006 09:39:34 -0700, wrote:

>This strawberry smoothie should be made with organic ingredients to

>INGREDIENTS

>* 1 + 3/4 (50 gr) brown sugar

>Stef
>How to make more healthy smoothies at:

http://www.theskinnycook.com/fruit-smoothie-recipes

Healthy? Sugar? Nah learn to eat fruit without sugar. Educate your
tastebuds
Adding sugar to fruit only prolongs the overdependency we have on
sweetened food.
--
Get away from it all
http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm
Posted to alt.food.recipes

"mogga" > wrote in message
> Healthy? Sugar? Nah learn to eat fruit without sugar. Educate your
> tastebuds
> Adding sugar to fruit only prolongs the overdependency we have on
> sweetened food.
> --
> Get away from it all
> http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm
> Late deals, mega cheap flights and bargains

People probably wouldn't add sugar to strawberries if they weren't
genetically engineered and breed for size instead of taste. Horticulturist
took the tiny, naturally sweet wild strawberry and turned it into a huge,
sour fruit.
Take 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt
pinch of thyme
Boil till sugar dissolves, thus creating a flavored simple syrup, then pour
over a quart of cored, sliced genetically breed strawberries. The result is
close to what wild strawberries taste like.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

So does living.. your going to die from something get over it.
"Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
. ..
> Over time a high carb diet contributes to diabetes.
>
> In m,
> June Geraci > stated
> | You don't GET diabetes from eating sugar.
> |
> | "Joan F (MI)" > wrote in message
> || Nonsense, sugar is sugar, you just go ahead and keep stuffing it
> || down and watch your feet fall off from diabetes.
> || In m,
> || Muddle > stated

Posted to alt.food.recipes

I know that, I just disagree with calling sugar "healthy." Eat all the
sugar you want but don't tell me you are thus eating "health food."

In t,
rbrtm01 > stated