Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Tim

Default Spoon Bread

Spoon Bread

2 round loaves]

2 packages active dry yeast

1 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar

˝ cup of lukewarm water

1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter

˝ cup warm milk

4 eggs, lightly beaten

1 tablespoon salt

4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, approximately

· Combine the yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and allow to proof.

· Put the butter in warm milk, and the 1 cup of sugar, and mix well.

· Add to the yeast mixture and stir to combine the ingredients.

· Add 3 of the eggs, lightly beaten, and salt and mix well.

· Then add 4 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, kneading with your hands in the

bowl, to make a soft dough.

· Turn out on a floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and

elastic, using only enough additional flour to prevent sticking. This should

take about 10 minutes.

· Shape into a ball and put in a buttered bowl, turning the dough to coat

the surface with butter.

· Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until

doubled in bulk.

· Punch down the dough and divide into two equal pieces.

· Shape again into balls and place in two buttered skillets - ones that can

be used in the oven and measure about 9 inches in diameter at the top.

(Teflon works perfectly for this, but plain omelette skillets will do

nicely.)

· Or you may use 8 ˝ x 4 ˝ x2 ˝ bread pans.

· Cover loosely and let rise again until doubled in bulk.

· Brush the tops with the remaining egg, well beaten, and bake in a

preheated over at 45- degrees for about 30 minutes, or until the bread is a

rich, dark, shining color and sounds hollow when rapped on top and bottom.

Cool on racks before slicing.

Tim

this recipe is Portugese Sweet bread, fingers not doing what I asked this
morning.
tim

"Tim" > wrote in message
> Spoon Bread
>

> 2 round loaves]
>

> 2 packages active dry yeast
>
> 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
>
> ˝ cup of lukewarm water
>
> 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter
>
> ˝ cup warm milk
>
> 4 eggs, lightly beaten
>
> 1 tablespoon salt
>
> 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
>

> · Combine the yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and allow to proof.
>
> · Put the butter in warm milk, and the 1 cup of sugar, and mix well.
>
> · Add to the yeast mixture and stir to combine the ingredients.
>
> · Add 3 of the eggs, lightly beaten, and salt and mix well.
>
> · Then add 4 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, kneading with your hands in
> the
>
> bowl, to make a soft dough.
>
> · Turn out on a floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and
>
> elastic, using only enough additional flour to prevent sticking. This
> should
>
> take about 10 minutes.
>
> · Shape into a ball and put in a buttered bowl, turning the dough to coat
>
> the surface with butter.
>
> · Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until
>
> doubled in bulk.
>
> · Punch down the dough and divide into two equal pieces.
>
> · Shape again into balls and place in two buttered skillets - ones that
> can
>
> be used in the oven and measure about 9 inches in diameter at the top.
>
> (Teflon works perfectly for this, but plain omelette skillets will do
>
> nicely.)
>
> · Or you may use 8 ˝ x 4 ˝ x2 ˝ bread pans.
>
> · Cover loosely and let rise again until doubled in bulk.
>
> · Brush the tops with the remaining egg, well beaten, and bake in a
>
> preheated over at 45- degrees for about 30 minutes, or until the bread is
>
> rich, dark, shining color and sounds hollow when rapped on top and bottom.
>
> Cool on racks before slicing.

Mexican Spoon Bread Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2006 10:15 AM
Parmesan and Rice Spoon Bread Kate Heeringa Recipes (moderated) 0 23-09-2005 10:47 AM
Mexican Spoon Bread Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-09-2005 12:41 PM
Cheesy Spoon Bread Duckie ® Recipes 0 19-07-2005 11:03 PM
Spoon Bread Tim Recipes 0 24-06-2005 11:19 AM