Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Tim

Default Rye Bread, Polish

Rye Bread, Polish

Here is the recipe that I have for rye bread: According to my sources in

Poland - a cup (what they call a "glass) is 1/4 liter or 8.9 oz. depending

on what you're measuring.

Kwas or Starter:

10 drops of spiritus (100% grain alcohol) I guess vodka would do as well

2 T. grated onion -squeezed to release juice

2 dkg. yeast (you have to measure this one - I don't have an equivalent)

1 1/2 cups white rye flour (for the professional bakers out there - the

original recipe specifies 720 or 580 white rye - whatever that means)

1/3 cup stone ground rye ( professionals - here is specifies 2000 type)

1 cup warm water

Mix this together in the order listed and then sift 3 mm. of flour (white

rye - 720 or 580) over top.

Let sit at room temperature for 30 hours. It should double in size. After

30 hours, again sift 1/4 cup white rye on top (the 720 or 580 but once you

choose a type, stick with it) and mix in water (the recipe only tells to use

enough water for a "soft" consistency - no number given [Maybe the profs out

there would have a number for those of us who are lost without our measuring

cups](remember, when I use "cup" I am referring to the 8.9 oz or 1/4 liter

for liquid so you have to do the conversion)

Again, sift about 3 mm. of flour on top and let sit for 12 hours. It should

increase to 1 1/2 times it's original size.

After 12 hours - mix in 3/4 cups white rye flour and 1/2 cup warm water

Again - sift 3 mm. of flour on top and let sit for 6 hours. It should

double in size, be warm and smell of ethyl alcohol??? (yes- that is what the

recipe says)

Now for the Bread:

For one loaf:

20 dkg. starter (weigh)

1/2 cup wheat flour (650 rich (translated)

3 pinches salt

water (no amount given - NEED HELP HERE)

4 dkg. yeast

Mix until elastic consistency.

Line a bowl with a floured cloth. Sift layer of flour over cloth. Put

dough in bowl, sift flour over, cover with floured cloth and let rise until

double.

(After this point - the directions become very vague - for me at least)

Form into loaf and brush with water. Bake at 428F (220 C) until internal

temp of 338F (170C) about 1 hour.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Tamara

Pittsburgh

Polish bread Kasia General Cooking 0 02-01-2010 08:57 PM
Polish sour rye in bread machine Tekla Sourdough 2 03-01-2004 06:48 AM
Polish rye Dick Adams Sourdough 3 16-10-2003 02:38 AM
Polish rye SCUBApix Sourdough 3 07-10-2003 04:07 PM