Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

William Morris

Default Real Cajun Sauce Piquante

You can use Deer, beef or pork for your meat. I like to use round steak
beef or deer meat. Cut meat into 1&1/2 "to 2" squares about 1/2" thick.
Season with salt, garlic powder, red and black pepper you can use a fair
amount of pepper it will cook off somewhat in the browning. I use about
3lbs. meat for me and the wife. Pour just enough cooking oil to coat the
bottom of your pot. I use a #9 cast iron dutch oven but magnailite works
well also. You might have to do the meat in 2 batches don't stack the
meat in the browning step. Brown the meat on a medium to extra medium
heat. Cook until meat is real brown on both sides and cooked through
usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes you will have some browning left in
the bottom of the pot this is what makes the gravy so good. Remove meat
and add 1 medium size white or yellow onion and 1 medium size bell
pepper finely chopped 1/2 can rotel diced tomatoes stir often Brown
onion bell pepper and rotel tomatoes about 15 minutes add meat back to
pot and brown together another 10 minutes stir often. If you can get
smoked pure pork link sausage or mixed beef and pork sausage slice into
disks add about a 1/2 lb to pot. Add 2 cans beef or chicken broth to pot
cover and cook for about 40 minutes remove cover and cook until tender
about another 30 minutes. This will also let your gravy cook down. You
should have enough gravy to just about cover the meat in pot the gravy
will be fairly thick. Cook a pot of rice and 4 people can eat. Server
meat and gravy over a couple of scoops of rice. With 2 people you
usually have enough for left overs or freeze for a quick meal later.
From the heart of Cajun country Opelousas, Louisiana enjoy. Bill