Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Tim

Default muffin recipes (3)

Great Grandmothers Berry Berry Muffins

Jalapeno Corn Muffins

Peach Muffins

Randi Levin moved to Colorado at 17 to attend college. She never stopped

baking and her degree gave her the opportunity to teach and counsel

children, who found her tasty treats motivational. Some time later she

left her career for medical and health reasons. During a hospital stay, a

friend watched her house and animals. She wouldnt take any money so Randi

did what comes natural to her, she made her a plate of cookies. They were

so delicious that her friend encouraged her to market them. The rest is

history.

Great Grandmothers Berry Berry Muffins

(Sugar Free)

This is one of the best muffin recipes I found in my Grandmoms Tin Box.

Originally, this recipe was called Strawberry Muffins. I altered the

recipe a bit for high altitude, and added a mixture of different berries

to discover that the Berry Berry Muffins sold the best. Nevertheless, I

prefer the straight strawberry. My Father, however, preferred the straight

blackberry. It is a matter of personal preference as to which berries to

choose for this recipe. No matter which flavor you decide to use, this is

a moist and tasty muffin and much healthier for you than grabbing a candy

bar or doughnut for a snack.

Use only fresh or fresh-frozen fruit.

1 bag of frozen mixed berries, thawed or 2/3 cup of each: fresh frozen

blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries, thawed together

in a microwave (Do not drain the juice.)

4 eggs or equivalent amount of liquid egg substitute

1 cup canola oil

2 cups sugar or 1 3/4 cups sugar substitute

3 1/4 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the eggs, oil, sugar, and half

the fruit with the juice. Thoroughly mix these ingredients for 2 minutes.

Add the flour and baking soda alternately with the remaining fruit and

juice to the oil and egg mixture. If batter appears too liquidity, add 2

tablespoons more flour. Grease 6 large muffin pan sections or 12 regular

size muffin pan sections or about 2 dozen plus mini muffin pan sections.

Fill each section 7/8 full with the batter. Bake 25-45 minutes (depending

on muffin size) until firm to touch or when an inserted toothpick comes

out clean.

Variations:

For individual fruit-flavored muffins (for example, just blueberry) use a

1/4 cup more fruit and juice combined.

For plain strawberry muffins, add 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 1/2 teaspoons

cinnamon.

For plain raspberry muffins, add 2 teaspoons vanilla.

Add 1 extra egg when doubling or add 2 extra eggs when tripling this

recipe.

Jalapeno Corn Muffins

Many years ago I got this recipe from a friend in graduate school. We were

making chili one night, and I asked her if she knew how to make corn

muffins. She said yes, that her mother had a great recipe. I made a few

adjustments, and here lies the result. These muffins are a perfect

complement to chili or black bean soup.

3 cups corn meal

3 cups flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

5 eggs

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) melted butter

3 teaspoons diced jalapeqos

3 1/3 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix together the dry ingredients in a

mixing bowl. Add the eggs, butter and jalapenos to the dry ingredients

while gradually adding the buttermilk and mix the batter thoroughly.

Grease 8 large muffin sections or 12 regular size muffin sections. Fill

each muffin section to the top with the batter. Bake 25-35 minutes or

until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Best served warm.

Variations:

Corn Cheese Muffins:

Follow the same directions as above. Add 1 cup shredded cheddar and 1/2

cup corn

kernels with the eggs and buttermilk. (Jalapeqos optional.)

Peach Muffins

This happens to be one of the best peach muffins I have ever tasted, and

it is my favorite muffin. Light, moist and fruity, what else can you ask

for in a basic everyday muffin? These do not freeze well because of all

the fruit, so they are best eaten within two days of being baked. Allow to

cool for a few minutes prior to tasting.

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted margarine

3/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon vanilla

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons diced fresh or canned peaches (If using canned,

do not

use peaches in heavy syrup use light syrup or peaches canned in water;

drain

any syrup/water before using.)

2 1/4 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Thoroughly mix the margarine, sugar, eggs,

milk and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture alternately

with the peaches. Thoroughly mix batter until all ingredients are fully

incorporated. Grease 5-6 large muffin pan sections or 10-12 regular size

muffin pan sections. Fill each muffin section 7/8 full with the batter.

Bake 25-35 minutes (depending on the size of muffin sections) until firm

to touch or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Add 1 extra egg

when doubling or add 2 extra eggs when tripling this recipe.

If you are enjoying these recipes and would like to order a copy

of her book, Contact Randi at o

Chef2Chef Recipe Club Member Forum:
http://forums.chef2chef.net

ARCHIVE: at: http://chef2chef.net/news/club/

--

Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .

Archives:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/

California's official state muffin -- the vegan muffin t.racer Vegan 0 11-03-2007 01:22 AM
Muffin [email protected] General Cooking 8 18-01-2007 12:15 AM
muffin Petra Baking 4 14-06-2005 06:56 AM
muffin recipes Mouse General Cooking 2 05-03-2004 08:13 PM