Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Duckie ®

Default Zesty Green Split Peas

Zesty Green Split Peas

2 cups green split peas, uncooked
8 cup water
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp ginger, peeled and minced
2 tsp jalapenos, seeded and chopped
4 Tbs black mustard seeds, ground or 1 tbs dry mustard
3 Tbs water
3 oz coconut, shredded and sweetened
1 dab butter
For garnish: Cilantro, chopped (optional)

Mix ground mustard powder in with water and allow to sit
for 30 minutes.

Bring split peas and water to a boil. Lower heat to
medium. Add bay leaves and tumeric. Simmer, covered, until
peas are done, 40 to 45 minutes. (When pressed between the
thumb and the index finger, they break easily.) While
simmering, uncover occasionally and stir, adding a Tbs or
so of hot water if the mixture sticks to the bottom of the
pan.

When cooked, remove and discard bay leaves. Add salt and
keep warm. Heat oil in a small, 6-inch skillet over
medium-low heat. Saute ginger root and jalapeno until
ginger is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add mustard
paste and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
Add coconut and stir several times. Remove from heat. Pour
over the pea mixture and stir. (I had to drain my peas,
because I still had lots of water in mine.) Let stand
covered for 15 minutes. Add a dab of butter if desired and
garnish with cilantro.