Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Duckie ®

Default Chocolate Berry Tart

Chocolate Berry Tart
Parve or Dairy

This recipe is a variation of a wonderful tart that was sort of sent
to me by Arline Heimlich, a woman I don’t know. I found it at the very
end of a long e-mail chain on a subject matter totally unrelated to
food. I don’t know what made me read all the way to the bottom but I
came to a comment that said “girls, here is the recipe for those tarts
we were devouring”. That was all I needed to read. I whipped up a
batch and loved the results. By tracing back through the e-mail
recipient list I found someone who put me in touch with Arline, who
was happy to share the recipe.

You can freeze these tarts before adding the berry garnish. You can
also make them in miniature tart pans.

Makes 10 servings

Ingredients:

3 cups pecan halves
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted margarine or butter, melted
10 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
2 cups heavy or whipping cream, if using parve I like Rich’s whipped
topping
2 pints raspberries, blueberries, or sliced strawberries
1/2 cup seedless red raspberry, blueberry, or seedless strawberry
preserves

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Cut out a 10 inch circle of parchment paper and place it into a 10
inch tart pan with removable bottom or into 8 (4 inch) mini tart pans
with removable bottoms. Set aside.

Place the pecans on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast the pecans
for 10 minutes, until fragrant. Check towards the end to make sure
they are not burning, shake the pan occasionally.

Remove the pecans from the oven and transfer them to the bowl of a
food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the brown sugar and
cinnamon. Process until finely ground. Add the melted margarine or
butter and process until moist clumps form.

Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan
or pans. You may need to let it cool for a few minutes until it can be
touched.

Bake until the crust is golden brown and firm to the touch, 28 to 30
minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.

Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place into a medium bowl.

Bring the cream to a simmer in a medium sized heavy saucepan over low
heat. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Gently stir until smooth.
Pour mixture into crust and chill until set, about 1 hour. This can be
made up to 2 days in advance.

Before serving, arrange the berries of your choice over the top of the
tart in overlapping concentric circles.

Place the jam into a small heavy saucepan over low heat until melted.
Brush melted jam over the berries.

http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=duckiewoman
peaches

"Duckie ®" > wrote in message
> Chocolate Berry Tart
> Parve or Dairy
>
> This recipe is a variation of a wonderful tart that was sort of sent
> to me by Arline Heimlich, a woman I don't know. I found it at the very
> end of a long e-mail chain on a subject matter totally unrelated to
> food. I don't know what made me read all the way to the bottom but I
> came to a comment that said "girls, here is the recipe for those tarts
> we were devouring". That was all I needed to read. I whipped up a
> batch and loved the results. By tracing back through the e-mail
> recipient list I found someone who put me in touch with Arline, who
> was happy to share the recipe.
>
> You can freeze these tarts before adding the berry garnish. You can
> also make them in miniature tart pans.
>
> Makes 10 servings
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 3 cups pecan halves
> 2/3 cup light brown sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 6 tablespoons unsalted margarine or butter, melted
> 10 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
> 2 cups heavy or whipping cream, if using parve I like Rich's whipped
> topping
> 2 pints raspberries, blueberries, or sliced strawberries
> 1/2 cup seedless red raspberry, blueberry, or seedless strawberry
> preserves
>
> Preparation:
>
> Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
>
> Cut out a 10 inch circle of parchment paper and place it into a 10
> inch tart pan with removable bottom or into 8 (4 inch) mini tart pans
> with removable bottoms. Set aside.
>
> Place the pecans on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast the pecans
> for 10 minutes, until fragrant. Check towards the end to make sure
> they are not burning, shake the pan occasionally.
>
> Remove the pecans from the oven and transfer them to the bowl of a
> food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the brown sugar and
> cinnamon. Process until finely ground. Add the melted margarine or
> butter and process until moist clumps form.
>
> Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan
> or pans. You may need to let it cool for a few minutes until it can be
> touched.
>
> Bake until the crust is golden brown and firm to the touch, 28 to 30
> minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
>
> Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place into a medium bowl.
>
> Bring the cream to a simmer in a medium sized heavy saucepan over low
> heat. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Gently stir until smooth.
> Pour mixture into crust and chill until set, about 1 hour. This can be
> made up to 2 days in advance.
>
> Before serving, arrange the berries of your choice over the top of the
> tart in overlapping concentric circles.
>
> Place the jam into a small heavy saucepan over low heat until melted.
> Brush melted jam over the berries.
>

> http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=duckiewoman

Oh my gosh! I can't wait to try these! Like for tonight..

Divine Diva

jacquie0

peaches wrote:

> [...]
>>or pans. You may need to let it cool for a few minutes until it can be
>>touched.
>>
>>Bake until the crust is golden brown and firm to the touch, 28 to 30
>>minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
>>
>>Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place into a medium bowl.
>>
>>Bring the cream to a simmer in a medium sized heavy saucepan over low
>>heat. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Gently stir until smooth.
>>Pour mixture into crust and chill until set, about 1 hour. This can be
>>made up to 2 days in advance.
>>
>>Before serving, arrange the berries of your choice over the top of the
>>tart in overlapping concentric circles.
>>
>>Place the jam into a small heavy saucepan over low heat until melted.
>>Brush melted jam over the berries.
>>

>>http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=duckiewoman

> Oh my gosh! I can't wait to try these! Like for tonight..

I agree Diva.
These sound absolutely sinful. I can't wait to try them out myself.