Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Danielle

Default Bolognaise sauce

Hoping someone can help, my partner finds the jars I get from the
supermarket too tomatoey. Does anyone have any recipes that don't have
tomatoes in?

Thanks in advance

Danielle

Graf von Spee

>Hoping someone can help, my partner finds the jars I get from the
>supermarket too tomatoey. Does anyone have any recipes that don't have
>tomatoes in?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Danielle

I've never heard of a Bolognese sauce that doesn't have tomatoes
as
a major component. There are lots of other Italian sauces that are
tomato- free, and some Bolognese-titled recipes ( like Lasagna
Bolognese) that have a cheese and/or cream-based sauce.
Try a search of the RecipeSource database, or make your
own sauce from scratch (nearly always tastes better than store-bought)
and you can regulate the tomato content to your own taste.

Paul
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 05 Mar 2005 05:21:12p, Graf von Spee wrote in alt.food.recipes:

>>Hoping someone can help, my partner finds the jars I get from the
>>supermarket too tomatoey. Does anyone have any recipes that don't have
>>tomatoes in?
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>
>>Danielle
>>

> I've never heard of a Bolognese sauce that doesn't have tomatoes
> as
> a major component. There are lots of other Italian sauces that are
> tomato- free, and some Bolognese-titled recipes ( like Lasagna
> Bolognese) that have a cheese and/or cream-based sauce.
> Try a search of the RecipeSource database, or make your
> own sauce from scratch (nearly always tastes better than store-bought)
> and you can regulate the tomato content to your own taste.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

While all Bolognese sauces contain tomato, I would have to agree that some of
the jarred sauces are much too tomatoey for my taste.

Here is one from American's Test Kitchens which I like. You may substitute
cream for the milk. I've done it both ways. The beef and pancetta variation
is also nice.

CLASSIC BOLOGNESE SAUCE

Makes generous 3 cups, enough to sauce
1 pound of pasta

Don’t drain the pasta of its cooking water too meticulously when using this
sauce; a little water left clinging to the noodles will help distribute the
very thick sauce evenly into the noodles, as will adding an extra 2
tablespoons of butter along with the sauce. Top each serving with a little
grated Parmesan and pass extra grated cheese at the table. If doubling this
recipe, increase the simmering times for the milk and the wine to 30 minutes
each, and the simmering time once the tomatoes are added to 4 hours.

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons minced carrot
2 tablespoons minced celery
3/4 pound meatloaf mix or 1/4 pound each ground beef chuck, ground veal, and
ground pork
Salt
1 cup whole milk
1 cup dry white wine
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes packed in juice, chopped fine, with juice
reserved

1. Heat butter in large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat; add
onion, carrot, and celery and sautè until softened but not browned, about 6
minutes. Add ground meat and 1/2 teaspoon salt; crumble meat with edge of
wooden spoon to break apart into tiny pieces. Cook, continuing to crumble
meat, just until it loses its raw color but has not yet browned, about 3
minutes.

2. Add milk and bring to simmer; continue to simmer until milk evaporates and
only clear fat remains, 10 to 15 minutes. Add wine and bring to simmer;
continue to simmer until wine evaporates, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Add
tomatoes and their juice and bring to simmer; reduce heat to low so that
sauce continues to simmer just barely, with an occasional bubble or two at
the surface, until liquid has evaporated, about 3 hours (if lowest burner
setting is too high to allow such a low simmer, use a flame tamer or a foil
ring to elevate pan). Adjust seasonings with extra salt to taste and serve.
(Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for several days or frozen for
several months. Warm over low heat before serving.)

BEEF BOLOGNESE SAUCE

There is something very appealing about the simplicity of an all-beef sauce;
while it may lack some of the finesse and sweetness of the master recipe, its
pure beef flavor is uniquely satisfying.

Follow recipe for Classic Bolognese Sauce, substituting 3/4 pound ground beef
chuck for meatloaf mix.

BEEF BOLOGNESE SAUCE WITH PANCETTA AND RED WINE

All ground beef works best with the pancetta in this sauce. If you can't find
pancetta, use prosciutto, but don't use American bacon, which is smoked and
will overwhelm the beef. Last, I found that red wine stands up to the more
robust flavors in this sauce better than the white wine.

Follow recipe for Classic Bolognese Sauce, adding 2 ounces minced pancetta to
butter along with vegetables, substituting 3/4 pound ground beef chuck for
meatloaf mix, and substituting an equal amount of red wine for white wine.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974