Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Banned

Location: united state
Default 'Food Grade Mold' Recipe

was searching the web looking for a safe food grade home made recipe for making molds, but could not find any, which was a surprise, because one can usually find anything with a properly worded search. So I ended up using a polymer clay mold recipe, and swapping out items as needed to make it food safe. The hardest part was figuring out what to use to replace the solvent, denatured alcohol, which was pure poison! Then I came across an article about taking the triglycerides out of coconut oil to use as a food grade solvent and TA-DAH, problem solved. Not being a scientist, and not knowing how to get these triglycerides out, I decided to just go with the coconut oil as is. And it worked! I just figured this all out yesterday, made my first mold, and am happy to report that it worked like a charm. Because this is cheap to make, you can make as many as you need, as often as you need, and throw them away when you want, you won't be out anything. The only thing I have not tried yet, because I just thought of it, is melting them down for reuse-lol. I am sure that there may be some that can & will find fault with this recipe, but for all the others, have fun, save money, and enjoy! I have been happily making molds for 2 whole days! So let me know what you think of my little project!

'Food Grade Mold' Recipe

NOTE: Prepare mold by securely attaching item to bottom of container, using glue gun, glue, paste, etc... Make enough mix to completely cover chosen item, keeping the container as close in size to the item as possible, less waste. Most clear plastic cookware, disposable margarine tubs, silicone containers, etc..., work here. May spray item & inside of container before adding mold mixture.

2 oz gelatin
1/4 cup cool water
1/3 cup glycerin
1 1/4 tsp glucose (was in original recipe, I forgot it this time & the mold turned out well. Can be added with the glycerin)
1/6 tsp coconut oil as your solvent

1. Warm the glycerin in microwave (20-30 seconds) & set aside. (You do NOT add it to the gelatin unheated).

2. Mix the water & the gelatin. Start mixing immediately & keep mixing until all the water & the gelatin is thoroughly mixed together. DON'T STOP mixing or it will separate & congeal in layers. When ready, the mess should be consistent in quality.

3. Heat in microwave, for 20 sec. intervals, & stir until the gelatin is melted and free from lumps.

4. Add the warmed glycerin (and glucose if desired) and stir until blended.

5. Add the coconut oil, and stir until thoroughly blended. It is now ready to use, & should be used while warm.

As for the 'glucose', try it both ways to see which one you prefer.

Cooling the new mold can be accelerated by placing in the refrigerator. To remove, place finger near edge, pull toward center to detach from side, & lift out.

'Food Grade Mold' Recipe andrewfrank General Cooking 0 30-10-2013 07:03 AM
pet food grade hemp seed ? brugnospamsia Vegetarian cooking 1 04-10-2011 01:35 PM
Food Grade Barrels DH Winemaking 2 20-09-2006 06:52 PM
"food grade" tubing billb Winemaking 1 11-06-2004 03:22 AM
What is Commerical Grade about the Commercial Grade line from CharBroil? Joshua Barbecue 5 20-04-2004 12:27 PM