Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes
meh meh is offline

Default Chunky chili con carne

Buy:

1 large, cheap steak, chuck or sirloin
1 large white or yellow onion
1 head of garlic
1 itty bitty jar of cheap chili powder (McCormick/Schilling. I think it
holds just over an ounce.)
Some oregano leaves
Some cumin
A bottle of red wine vinegar
Beer (any brand that tastes OK.)
Optional: two cans of beans if you want beans in your chili. (I prefer
light-red kidney beans over pinto beans as the pintos get too mushy, and
I like the heartier, mealy texture of the kidneys.)

Do:
Cut the steak into small, bite-size cubes (around 1/2 to 3/4 inch.)
Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
Peel and chop half of the head of garlic- around 8 cloves
Put a heaping tablespoon of oregano in a cup or bowl then ad half of a
bottle (or can) of beer, and let it soak for an hour or two. This brings
out the oregano's flavor.

Brown the meat in some oil in the bottom of a large, heavy pot or Dutch
oven, then add the onion and garlic. Continue cooking until the onion's
tender and kind of translucent-looking.
Remove from heat and dump in all of the chili powder. Stir well.
Return to heat and add the beer/oregano mixture, a tablespoon of cumin
and a cup of red wine vinegar. Add enough water to cover. Simmer for a
couple of hours, adding more water as needed as well as more vinegar to
taste: you should be able to easily smell the vinegar.

Season with salt and pepper to taste then serve. It goes very well indeed
with hot corn bread and butter.
Posted to alt.food.recipes
meh meh is offline

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 03:42:47 +0000, meh wrote:

> Do:
> Cut the steak into small, bite-size cubes (around 1/2 to 3/4 inch.)
> Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
> Peel and chop half of the head of garlic- around 8 cloves Put a heaping
> tablespoon of oregano in a cup or bowl then ad half of a bottle (or can)
> of beer, and let it soak for an hour or two. This brings out the
> oregano's flavor.
>
> Brown the meat in some oil in the bottom of a large, heavy pot or Dutch
> oven, then add the onion and garlic. Continue cooking until the onion's
> tender and kind of translucent-looking.
> Remove from heat and dump in all of the chili powder. Stir well.
> Return to heat and add the beer/oregano mixture, a tablespoon of cumin
> and a cup of red wine vinegar. Add enough water to cover. Simmer for a
> couple of hours, adding more water as needed as well as more vinegar to
> taste: you should be able to easily smell the vinegar.
>
> Season with salt and pepper to taste then serve. It goes very well
> indeed with hot corn bread and butter.

I forgot: add the canned beans, drained of their juice, about an hour
before you want to eat (if you plan to add beans.)