Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

Default 11 secret herbs and spices?

On 7/6/2013 12:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/6/2013 8:19 AM, casa bona wrote:

>>> Spraying the areas where they live would help but I rarely see them
>>> inside the house and I'm not sure that spraying is worth the effort. I
>>> am glad of the chicken skittering about the place. They're like a
>>> centipede security patrol.

>> That's fantastic, a real cooperative ecosystem you have there!
>>
>>> Speaking of which, our cat also helps with scary pests. The other day he
>>> was playing with a large cane spider in our house. When I checked on him
>>> later, there was spider legs scattered on the floor. Good cat!

>> Oh I've seen those, big scary looking buggers.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlbrW55xgX8

> Cane spiders have the worst PR! They try to stay away from humans but
> they do raise a fuss when they are spotted. Mostly, they're a victim of
> our primeval fears. In some cultures, it's bad luck to kill a spider or
> gecko in the house because they eat unwanted critters. Our fears of
> large spiders is so great that we're willing to tempt fate to ease
> ourselves. That's the breaks.

Do you folks have tarantulas there?

They're another spider that gets a bad reputation based on looks, albeit
they do have the ability to inflict a strong wound.

Generally they are rather mellow, occasionally curious, but not aggressive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/6/2013 8:55 AM, casa bona wrote:
> On 7/6/2013 12:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> That's fantastic, a real cooperative ecosystem you have there!

>>> Oh I've seen those, big scary looking buggers.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlbrW55xgX8

>> Cane spiders have the worst PR! They try to stay away from humans but
>> they do raise a fuss when they are spotted. Mostly, they're a victim of
>> our primeval fears. In some cultures, it's bad luck to kill a spider or
>> gecko in the house because they eat unwanted critters. Our fears of
>> large spiders is so great that we're willing to tempt fate to ease
>> ourselves. That's the breaks.

> Do you folks have tarantulas there?

God No! An additional bit of good news is that we don't have any snakes,
although it's just a matter of time before we do.

> They're another spider that gets a bad reputation based on looks, albeit
> they do have the ability to inflict a strong wound.
>
> Generally they are rather mellow, occasionally curious, but not aggressive.

My understand is that some folks keep them as pets. Holy smokes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/6/2013 3:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/6/2013 8:55 AM, casa bona wrote:

>>> Cane spiders have the worst PR! They try to stay away from humans but
>>> they do raise a fuss when they are spotted. Mostly, they're a victim of
>>> our primeval fears. In some cultures, it's bad luck to kill a spider or
>>> gecko in the house because they eat unwanted critters. Our fears of
>>> large spiders is so great that we're willing to tempt fate to ease
>>> ourselves. That's the breaks.

>> Do you folks have tarantulas there?

> God No! An additional bit of good news is that we don't have any snakes,
> although it's just a matter of time before we do.

The latter I knew, but I suspect cargo shipping is going to eventually
lose you that benefit too.

>> They're another spider that gets a bad reputation based on looks, albeit
>> they do have the ability to inflict a strong wound.
>>
>> Generally they are rather mellow, occasionally curious, but not
>> aggressive.

> My understand is that some folks keep them as pets. Holy smokes!

They do, and I get sweaty just thinking about that.

Senior Member

Nice Post..thanks for the info!
Posted to alt.food.recipes

On 7/9/2013 1:08 AM, goodfood wrote:
> Nice Post..thanks for the info!

If you should happen to experiment your way into something that tastes
more KFC-ish, do let us know.