Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth
Default Pasta Puttanesca

PASTA PUTTANESCA (literally "Pasta in the Style of the Prostitute")
This come from my dearly departed friend from Salt Lake City, Utah Wendy Hufnagle aka ~W. Give it a try sometime. It so good it will make you want to slap somebody's mama.

bigwheel

Agent ~W said this >(quote)<

This is my spin:

1-2 bunches fresh basil, unwashed, leaves rolled and julienned (I like
lots!)
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 c good quality olive oil
3 c or more tomatoes, cherry or Roma, but at least vine-ripened, not
hothouse
mashed anchovy filets (I use probably 12-14) to taste, or anchovy paste to taste (really, they're not overpowering, very mellow in the finished product, not fishy)
one entire bulb (not clove) of garlic, peeled and chopped or pressed
1 1/2 c good quality Greek black olives, pitted (do not use canned!)
dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
julienned roasted red pepper to taste (optional)
capers (optional...not too many, the anchovies make it plenty salty)
@ 12 oz. dried pasta*
freshly grated Parmigianno-Reggiano cheese

In a covered casserole, mix the olive oil, garlic and black olives. The
olives can be easily pitted just by squeezing them between your fingers. If using cherry tomatoes, cut in half. Any larger tomatoes cut into small
wedges. Add along with the anchovies or anchovy paste and basil leaves, and any other optional ingredients you decide to add. Mix in the morning on a sunny summer day and leave it to sit outside in the warm sun all day in a covered casserole. In the spring or fall, it can be 'cooked' in a warm
sunny spot in front of a closed window. It can also be warmed in a slow
oven until heated through. You don't want it to be hot.

Cook your pasta al dente and drain. Pour sauce over, add parmesan cheese to taste, and serve with good crusty bread to mop up the extra sauce. Leftovers keep well under refrigeration for 1 week. Just warm to serve. The flavors just keep improving. Remember, never serve hot.

*Use a pasta such as shells, bowtie, orecchiette or even penne...something that will soak up and hold the sauce. I think this is a very sensual, sexy dinner for two people to share with a good bottle of wine. Don't cut the bread, just rip pieces off...the jagged edges catch the sauce better.

I do all the things I have listed as optional, but it's a matter of taste.
Try the sun method if you can...I think it tastes better, but it may be all
in my head. ~W

Last edited by bigwheel : 27-01-2013 at 03:23 PM
Posted to alt.food.recipes

On Jan 27, 7:19*am, bigwheel >
wrote:
> PASTA PUTTANESCA (literally "Pasta in the Style of the Prostitute")
> This come from my dearly departed friend from Salt Lake City, Utah Wendy
> Hufnagle aka ~W. Give it a try sometime. It so good it will make you
> want to slap somebody's mama.
>
> bigwheel
>
> Agent ~W said this >(quote)<
>
> This is my spin:
>
> 1-2 bunches fresh basil, unwashed, leaves rolled and julienned (I like
> lots!)
> 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 c good quality olive oil
> 3 c or more tomatoes, cherry or Roma, but at least vine-ripened, not
> hothouse
> mashed anchovy filets (I use probably 12-14) to taste, or anchovy paste
> to taste (really, they're not overpowering, very mellow in the finished
> product, not fishy)
> one entire bulb (not clove) of garlic, peeled and chopped or pressed
> 1 1/2 c good quality Greek black olives, pitted (do not use canned!)
> dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
> freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
> julienned roasted red pepper to taste (optional)
> capers (optional...not too many, the anchovies make it plenty salty)
> @ 12 oz. dried pasta*
> freshly grated Parmigianno-Reggiano cheese
>
> In a covered casserole, mix the olive oil, garlic and black olives. The
> olives can be easily pitted just by squeezing them between your fingers.
> If using cherry tomatoes, cut in half. Any larger tomatoes cut into
> small
> wedges. Add along with the anchovies or anchovy paste and basil leaves,
> and any other optional ingredients you decide to add. Mix in the morning
> on a sunny summer day and leave it to sit outside in the warm sun all
> day in a covered casserole. In the spring or fall, it can be 'cooked' in
> a warm
> sunny spot in front of a closed window. It can also be warmed in a slow
> oven until heated through. You don't want it to be hot.
>
> Cook your pasta al dente and drain. Pour sauce over, add parmesan cheese
> to taste, and serve with good crusty bread to mop up the extra sauce.
> Leftovers keep well under refrigeration for 1 week. Just warm to serve.
> The flavors just keep improving. Remember, never serve hot.
>
> *Use a pasta such as shells, bowtie, orecchiette or even
> penne...something that will soak up and hold the sauce. I think this is
> a very sensual, sexy dinner for two people to share with a good bottle
> of wine. Don't cut the bread, just rip pieces off...the jagged edges
> catch the sauce better.
>
> I do all the things I have listed as optional, but it's a matter of
> taste.
> Try the sun method if you can...I think it tastes better, but it may be
> all
> in my head. ~W
>
> --
> bigwheel

You forgot the boiled chicken.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemo the Clown[_2_] View Post
On Jan 27, 7:19*am, bigwheel
wrote:[color=blue]You forgot the boiled chicken.
Aint no seethed filthy barn yard avians allowed in my Eyetalian Food. Thanks anyway.
Senior Member

This recipe is looking yummy..i'll try this in dinner tonight!
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfood View Post
This recipe is looking yummy..i'll try this in dinner tonight!
Rut row..must not have liked it huh?

Pasta Puttanesca with a twist koko General Cooking 5 01-01-2008 06:10 PM
Puttanesca Staycalm General Cooking 21 15-11-2005 11:41 AM
Tenderloin Puttanesca FREECYCLE MOM General Cooking 0 11-05-2005 07:31 PM