Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Member

Default I Need Help

I take cut up pieces of Sam’s Club rotisserie chicken along with some drippings and saute sliced onions, celery and peppers then slowly simmer everything in gravy then serve over white rice. I been using the McCormick’s Brown Gravy packet mix because it's so easy to prepare. It tastes okay but I’d really be interested if anyone can suggest another gravy or sauce mix that’s sold in a packet but might work better with this recipe. Any ideas?
Posted to alt.food.recipes

On 2011-10-28 18:59:19 +0000, jayare said:

> I take cut up pieces of Sam’s Club rotisserie chicken along with some
> drippings and saute sliced onions, celery and peppers then slowly simmer
> everything in gravy then serve over white rice. I been using the
> McCormick’s Brown Gravy packet mix because it's so easy to prepare. It
> tastes okay but I’d really be interested if anyone can suggest another
> gravy or sauce mix that’s sold in a packet but might work better with
> this recipe. Any ideas?

I would make a fresh gravy - it's quite easy and will taste a heap better

3 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken stock
salt
pepper
dried thyme

melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour and wisk well.
slowly add the
stock wisking as you go. add some salt, pepper and any herbs you want
and turn up
the heat a bit until it thickens to your liking...

Member

A reply to Self.....Self, here's a gravy that works great with leftovers like rotisserie chicken and Christmas ham:

3 tablespoons canola oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
3/4 cup diced fresh ginger
3/4 cup diced garlic
1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 cup white wine
2 cups water plus 4 tablespoons
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup diced green onions, for garnish
To make the sauce: In a medium sauce pot, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, ginger, garlic, and pepper, and saute until the onions are translucent. Deglaze the pan with wine, and then add 2 cups of water, the stock, soy sauce and honey. Simmer for 1 hour or until reduced by half. Strain the gravy and return it to the pot over low heat. Combine the 4 tablespoons water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Slowly stir it into the sauce and cook until the gravy has thickened.