Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Member

Location: Penang, Malaysia
Default Mugwort Omelette

This has been our family dish since I was a kid. We call it "Hia" in Hokkien. I've always wanted to learn more about this herb, but was unable to find additional info without knowing its English name. My googling research recently was fruitful indeed. The herb is revealed as Mugwort. Surprisingly, it's not only well known in Chinese society, but it's popular in Western countries as well.

Physically, the Mugwort leaves has a unique shape. The top of the leaf is dark green, and the bottom is more towards whitish-green. The surface is hairy, so it's rather rough to touch. It has a pleasant herbal scent. When the leaves are chopped or crushed, it emits a pungent and distinctive aroma. It has a very pleasant bitter taste.

Mugwort is rich in chlorophyll and enzyme. It is a natural source of minerals like Calcium and Magnesium. Chinese use it in post maternal treatment as it can dispel "wind" from the womb. Medical wise, Mugwort is also a proven herb to speed up healing for cancer and hepatitis C, and helps in hair growth. Besides, it is also used to treat stomach troubles, high blood pressure, and many more.
Member

Location: Los Angeles

Thanks for sharing your family dish. It sounds incredibly good