Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

Default From the heart of Italy

Dur wrote:

>> From the Heart of Italy - A Feast of 175 Regional Recipes"

> (Amazon.com: http://tr.im/LidiaC ), television chef and New York
> restaurateur Lidia Bastianich leads us on a culinary tour of 12 key

Isn't there an english version of "Le ricette regionali italiane" by Anna
Gosetti della Salda? I don't know Lidia's recipes but a person who lived in
Italy only between 11 and 13 years old IMHO will never have the same view of
italian cuisine of a person who's lived in Italy all of her life, as Anna
did.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"ViLco" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Dur wrote:
>
>>> From the Heart of Italy - A Feast of 175 Regional Recipes">>
>>> (Amazon.com: http://tr.im/LidiaC ), television chef and New York>>
>>> restaurateur Lidia Bastianich leads us on a culinary tour of 12 key

> Isn't there an english version of "Le ricette regionali italiane" by Anna
> > Gosetti della Salda? I don't know Lidia's recipes but a person who lived

> in Italy only between 11 and 13 years old IMHO will never have the same
> view of > italian cuisine of a person who's lived in Italy all of her
> life, as Anna > did.
> --
> Vilco

You can say that again. My DD likes Lidia and often calls me when she is on
TV. She is better than most, but still very Americanized. Given that if
something is not widely available in the US you can't include it in a
recipe, I still think it would be wiser to avoid that recipe rather than
substitute something totally unlike. All the US/Italian cookery folks seem
to play into the one-dish-meal thing, which sometimes works and sometimes
just completely craps up a nice dish. Giada does this more than Lidia.

Even more difficult, I find, is the quality of what you can readily find in
the US supermarket. Some things are stupendous, but some are dire.

I dont know if that book has been translated, but maybe you could do it?

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

Giusi wrote:

>> Isn't there an english version of "Le ricette regionali italiane" by
>> Anna > Gosetti della Salda? I don't know Lidia's recipes but a

> You can say that again. My DD likes Lidia and often calls me when
> she is on TV. She is better than most, but still very Americanized. Given
> that if something is not widely available in the US you can't
> include it in a recipe, I still think it would be wiser to avoid that
> recipe rather than substitute something totally unlike. All the
> US/Italian cookery folks seem to play into the one-dish-meal thing,
> which sometimes works and sometimes just completely craps up a nice
> dish. Giada does this more than Lidia.

I feared just that.

> Even more difficult, I find, is the quality of what you can readily
> find in the US supermarket. Some things are stupendous, but some are
> dire.

Same is true here if one wants to prepare an US recipe.

> I dont know if that book has been translated, but maybe you could do
> it?

Mmmmmmmm, that's not an easy task, because that book is both very thick and
also for the variety of terms used in it.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> You can say that again. My DD likes Lidia and often calls me when she is
> on TV. She is better than most, but still very Americanized. Given that
> if something is not widely available in the US you can't include it in a
> recipe, I still think it would be wiser to avoid that recipe rather than
> substitute something totally unlike.

Like most things in life, it comes down to money. Lidia makes a good living
and the American audience would not know the difference 99.9% of the time.
She could probably mix stale wine and dish detergent together and convince
people it is authentic Italian dressing just because she said so.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:30:16 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Giusi" > wrote in message
>> You can say that again. My DD likes Lidia and often calls me when she is
>> on TV. She is better than most, but still very Americanized. Given that
>> if something is not widely available in the US you can't include it in a
>> recipe, I still think it would be wiser to avoid that recipe rather than
>> substitute something totally unlike.

>Like most things in life, it comes down to money. Lidia makes a good living
>and the American audience would not know the difference 99.9% of the time.
>She could probably mix stale wine and dish detergent together and convince
>people it is authentic Italian dressing just because she said so.

Well, well, well... that's 'zactly what Giusi does here all the time.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"Ed Pawlowski" ha scritto nel messaggio >
> "Giusi" wrote in message
>> You can say that again. My DD likes Lidia and often calls me when she is

> Like most things in life, it comes down to money. Lidia makes a good
> living > and the American audience would not know the difference 99.9% of
> the time. She could probably mix stale wine and dish detergent together
> and convince > people it is authentic Italian dressing just because she
> said so.

My DD does know the difference, but lives on the other side of the balance
board and she likes Lidia. I know that Felidia was a successfukl
restaurant, too. Lidia appears to get quite a lot of respect and we respect
her too, because she doesn't do the most outrageous unitalian things to
Italian dishes.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"ViLco" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>
>>> Isn't there an english version of "Le ricette regionali italiane" by>>>
>>> Anna > Gosetti della Salda?

>> I dont know if that book has been translated, but maybe you could do
>> it?

> Mmmmmmmm, that's not an easy task, because that book is both very thick
> and > also for the variety of terms used in it.

I don't see that there is a deadline for this job for which as yet no
publisher has asked! Do 1/4 and then offer it to a cookbook publisher! Or,
pardon me, do you already have too much money?

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

Giusi wrote:

>> Mmmmmmmm, that's not an easy task, because that book is both very
>> thick and > also for the variety of terms used in it.

> I don't see that there is a deadline for this job for which as yet no
> publisher has asked! Do 1/4 and then offer it to a cookbook
> publisher! Or, pardon me, do you already have too much money?

I think you don't know what it means to translate with *precision* a 1200
pages book full of very specifical terms (similar but different, with all of
theyr precise shades of meaning) and with dozens of sections in local slangs
which even an italian finds hard to read, and sometimes very hard to read.
Morevoer, the translations business is both overcrowded and reference-based:
my degree is in economics and not languages, and I'm not from an english
speaking country or family nor do I have a degree in cooking.
That said, if I had a ton of sparetime I'd be taking it into consideration,
anyway.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"ViLco" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>
>>> Mmmmmmmm, that's not an easy task, because that book is both very>>>
>>> thick and > also for the variety of terms used in it.

>> I don't see that there is a deadline for this job for which as yet no>>
>> publisher has asked! Do 1/4 and then offer it to a cookbook>> publisher!

> I think you don't know what it means to translate with *precision* a 1200
> > pages book full of very specifical terms (similar but different, with

> all of > theyr precise shades of meaning) and with dozens of sections in
> local slangs > which even an italian finds hard to read, and sometimes
> very hard to read.

I do know what that means, but it would be the wrong approach for a
cookbook. Good writing in Italian is very elaborate, but a precise
translation into English would be unreadable. I have done precise
translations for engineering bulletins and user manuals, but when
translating random "high" Italian for sales brochures, I learned to cut
through the "poesia" and turn it into clean, elegant language.

Italians love the variations and English speakers find them messy. As to
the local dialects that no one understands, just print them in italics. If
all Italians don't understand them, why should English mother tongues even
try?

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

Giusi wrote:

>> I think you don't know what it means to translate with *precision* a
>> 1200 > pages book full of very specifical terms (similar but
>> different, with all of > theyr precise shades of meaning) and with
>> dozens of sections in local slangs > which even an italian finds
>> hard to read, and sometimes very hard to read.

> I do know what that means

So you should know that 1200 pages aren't a thing you can do in your
spare-time, if you work 40 hours a week.

> but it would be the wrong approach for a cookbook. Good writing in
> Italian is very elaborate, but a precise translation into English would be
> unreadable.

You misunderstood my use of the word "precise": there are dozens of, for
example, differents kitchen tools: one must translate precisely each one
without creating confusion in the reader. The same applies to many other
things, expecially to the ingredients: take veggies, there are zillions
vegetables, every one with many varieties, which can differ one another for
the area where they are farmed, for the tecnhique used in farming them, for
the moment they have been harvested in... and many many more things where
one must be *totally* precise, unless one wants to do a sloppy translation
where readers understand one vegetable instead of another.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

ViLco wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
>
> >> I think you don't know what it means to translate with *precision* a
> >> 1200 > pages book full of very specifical terms (similar but
> >> different, with all of > theyr precise shades of meaning) and with
> >> dozens of sections in local slangs > which even an italian finds
> >> hard to read, and sometimes very hard to read.

> > I do know what that means

> So you should know that 1200 pages aren't a thing you can do in your
> spare-time, if you work 40 hours a week.
>
> > but it would be the wrong approach for a cookbook. Good writing in
> > Italian is very elaborate, but a precise translation into English would be
> > unreadable.

> You misunderstood my use of the word "precise": there are dozens of, for
> example, differents kitchen tools: one must translate precisely each one
> without creating confusion in the reader. The same applies to many other
> things, expecially to the ingredients: take veggies, there are zillions
> vegetables, every one with many varieties, which can differ one another for
> the area where they are farmed, for the tecnhique used in farming them, for
> the moment they have been harvested in... and many many more things where
> one must be *totally* precise, unless one wants to do a sloppy translation
> where readers understand one vegetable instead of another.
> --
> Vilco
> Don't think pink: drink lots of rosè

Please allow me to play the "devil's advocate" here for a moment:

I've found this thread very amusing. You Italian kids take your food way too
seriously. heheh No argument that good italian food is fantastic but if
this cookbook in question is all that great, don't you think the publisher
would have hired someone to translate it into English by now?

Even funnier that even Italians wouldn't be able to understand all of the
Italian version correctly??? WTH? hahaha

Sorry to offend you ppl but this really does stike me as such a funny
argument.

For authentic Italian cooking ideas, I depend on Mario Batali on the Food
Network. He obviously knows what he's doing.

Gary

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

Gary wrote:

> Please allow me to play the "devil's advocate" here for a moment:
>
> I've found this thread very amusing. You Italian kids take your food
> way too seriously. heheh

First, in this thread I'm taking *translations* very seriously, not food.
Second, why shouldn't we take it seriously? Don't the french take it
seriously? Sure they do, just as we do.

> No argument that good italian food is
> fantastic but if this cookbook in question is all that great, don't
> you think the publisher would have hired someone to translate it into
> English by now?

That's one of the things I was thinking, too. It some how surprises me that
there isn't an engluish translation of that book.

> Even funnier that even Italians wouldn't be able to understand all of
> the Italian version correctly??? WTH? hahaha

Do you know any and all of the slangs of your country? If you can answer yes
then your country is very different from Italy, where it is just the same as
for food: thousands of slangs all along the country. It can make it
impossibile to read a text written in a prticular slang for many other
italians.

> Sorry to offend you ppl but this really does stike me as such a funny
> argument.

I don't see why I should be offended.

> For authentic Italian cooking ideas, I depend on Mario Batali on the
> Food Network. He obviously knows what he's doing.

I hope he doesn't mix up things as many "italian" cooks out of Italy.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè