Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default REC - Susan Hattie's Goat Cheese Torta - RFC Cookbook page 12

REC - Susan Hattie's Goat Cheese Torta - RFC Cookbook page 12

rec.food.cooking - cookbook - page 12
Appetizers & Beverages

Susan Hattie's Goat Cheese Torta

Signature dish of the late Susan Hattie Seinsapir. Adapted with
Helpful
Assembly Hints, by Charlotte Blackmer. Multiplies well. Can be made
ahead and refrigerated. I often mix the cheeses and garlic together
the
night before I assemble the torta. It is a "do ahead" step and allows
the
garlic time to develop. Also, it is slightly easier to form the layers
with
"less soft" cheese.

10 to 11 ounces (280-315 g) soft goat cheese (softened)
8 ounces (about 225 g) cream cheese (regular or "less fat", softened)
(Susan's original proportions we 6 oz goat cheese and 4 oz cream
cheese)
1 clove or more garlic, chopped fine or crushed
1/2 cup (120 ml) pesto (approximate amount)
1/2 cup (120 ml) oil-marinated sun-dried tomatoes (approximate amount)

Mix cheeses together in bowl. Add garlic and mix well. Drain and chop
tomatoes fine. Use paper towels to blot excess. The pesto (especially
if
you made it) should be as "dry" as possible, too.

To assemble: Line a medium bowl with plastic wrap or cheesecloth.
(NOTE: the bowl I usually make mine in is about 20 fl. oz/ 600 ml)
capacity - CLB) Put waxed paper or plastic wrap on a counter or
cutting
board and form a circle of cheese on it with a spatula. Invert layer
into
bowl. Put a layer of tomato or pesto on the cheese. Blot excess oil.
Make
another cheese layer and invert into bowl. Put a layer of pesto or
tomato
(whichever you didn't use before) on that layer and cover it with
another
round of cheese. Keep layering if you have made multiples of this
recipe
and have a large bowl.

Wrap and chill for two hours or so. Unwrap and invert on a plate to
serve.
Serve with crackers and/or baguette slices. Fresh herbs are nice as a
garnish. Even better the next day if not inhaled the first.

Source: Susan Hattie / Charlotte Blackmer - California USA