Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Duckie ®

Default World Famous Salmon Chowder

World Famous Salmon Chowder
Recipe Courtesy of Oak Bay Beach Hotel & Marine Resort
Victoria, BC

World Famous Salmon Chowder

Ingredients:
Yields 1.5 gallons

1/2 gallon fish stock ( salmon & halibut bones)
3 cups Butter roux ( Equal parts clarified butter and flour mix to
equal 3 cups)
3 tbsp tomato paste
1qt light cream
1qt heavy cream
1.5 lbs diced Potato 3/4 inch
1 lb diced celery 3/8 inch
1 lb diced carrot 3/8 inch
1 lb diced onion 3/8 inch
6 bay leaves
1.5 lb fresh sockeye boneless, skinless 3/4 inch chunks
1/2 lb BBQ smoked salmon boneless, skinless 3/4 inch chunks
1.5 tbsp crushed fennel seed
4 oz Pernod

Salt & coarse black pepper to taste
1 cup fresh pesto for garnish 1/2 tsp per bowl ( or as much as you
like)

Instructions:
In a two gallon heavy pot add fish stock and bring to boil, then add
butter roux and cook for 20 min until smooth and binding consistency,
add tomato paste, light cream and 1/2 amount of heavy cream heavy
simmer for another 10 min, Now add Vegetables.
And spices save 1/4 of each spice until the very end, cook at simmer
for 15 min, final stage add diced salmon, remaining spices and cream
adjust with salt and pepper continue to simmer for additional 10 min
then add the pernod as you take it off the fire
Serve in heated bowl topped with fresh pesto and enjoy with sourdough
bread and a glass of crisp Chardonnay.

Comments:
It was exciting for me to enter this recipe in the Annual Clam Chowder
Competition at the Orca Festival on San Juan Island this past summer.
It was even more gratifying when the recipe won the Judge's Choice
Award for best Chowder 2001. I am happy to share this recipe with you
to enjoy. Or, if you'd prefer, come visit us and we will be happy to
serve it to you in our oceanview restaurant.
Executive Chef
Allan Daly